Question about bone mets and chemo

Options
kathyDDD
kathyDDD Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I did the whole thing: 4 rounds of A/C, 4 rounds of Taxotere, double mastectomy (stage IIIa and triple negative), and 38 rads, finishing on Oct. 20. In dDecember, bone mets were found on my lower spine, so chemo started again Dec. 15, a massive dose of Taxol that put me to my knees. At the suggestion of many of you, I then went on a weekly regimen (thank you all so much for that suggestion)of Taxol with a monthly Zometa treatment. My white blood cella and platelets are great, but my red blood cell count is lousy so I am having a blood transfusion this morning. Hopefully that will increase my energy level. i am so exhausted. I still teach full time at the high school every day, but this week decided to take a leave of absence for the remainder of this semester from my evening job of teaching two class at our local college. It is the first time I have not lived up to an obligation, but found I could not spend two night outs for an addition 4 hours each without crying from sheer exhaustion. The college was wonderfully understanding and I will even get paid for the semester using accrued sick time.

My question is this: Has anyone with bone mets ever gotten through with chemo? I asked my nurse practioner yesterday and she said we have to monitor and play it by ear. She said it's definitely treatable and controllable (sp) but each case is different and specific. I just wondered what anyone else has done with this.

You have all been sooooo supportive and wonderful. I feel like I have become part of a wonderful organization of women that doesn't take no for an answer. When I get weepy and whiny, I come to this borad, read a little, and tell myself "suck it up buttercup." So many of you have inspired me to "keep on goin". Than you for all you do for the many many women facing these issues. You help us do it with strength and dignity, some tears, and a few laughs. God bless and thank you in advance for your repsonses.

Kathy

Comments

  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Hi
    I am not in your situation, but I wanted to tell you to be kind to yourself and do what you need to do to get healthy. We are all here for you....anytime.

    I wish you well.

    Patti
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bone Mets
    Hi,

    I have had cancer twice. I just finished chemo on 1/6/10 of cytoxan and taxotere. I had a PET scan and I have two bone mets. They came on during the chemo so I hope the taxol works for you. The first time I did 4 a/c 4 taxol as well. This second time I did 6 rounds of the cytoxan and taxotere. I do remember taxol bringing me to my knees. I had a lot of muscle and joint pain from it. Don't feel bad because you can't go to work, you need to rest sometimes! Please feel free to email me if you want to. Hope all goes well for you, keep your chin up.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    I am sorry the Taxol has hit
    I am sorry the Taxol has hit you so hard. May it be hitting those cancer cells even harder! I can't answer your specific question, but I did want you to know I also am stage 3, triple negative. I am trying, so far in vain, to get an oncologist to prescribe Zometa or other bisphosphanate to help prevent bone mets, as early trials reported at the San Antonio BC Symposium this year suggest that Zometa and other bisphosphanates may not only prevent further bone mets but also prevent new bc diagnoses. So you definitely already have a powerful drug in Zometa.

    As far as info on chemo regimens, Lili, the nurse moderator at the John Hopkins site, is exceptionally informed and helpful. She has had bc twice, once hormonal and once TN. You might also check the mets boards for breastcancer.org if you haven't already. Youngsurvivors.org has a mets section, and members usually include in their signature their diagnosis/treatment/status history. Some of them are triple negatives. (Just a caution: I don't visit there often because it is especially heartbreaking to see such young women dealing with mets. I can't imagine how I or my family would have handled it if I had been diagnosed so young.)

    I am sorry to say I have forgotten whether you have gotten second (or more) opinions. I did, for my chemo regimen last year. I ended up going with the second opinion. So you might get more opinions on which chemo regimen has been most helpful. Clinical trials are greatly encouraged, too.

    Finally, you should hear soon from CSN members who can advise you better on your specific question. Several are currently in treatment for bone mets. They will, I'm sure, help you more than I have. But, I just wanted you to know you have my prayers, Kathy, and best wishes. I hope the blood transfusion lifts your energy level right away.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    mom62 said:

    Bone Mets
    Hi,

    I have had cancer twice. I just finished chemo on 1/6/10 of cytoxan and taxotere. I had a PET scan and I have two bone mets. They came on during the chemo so I hope the taxol works for you. The first time I did 4 a/c 4 taxol as well. This second time I did 6 rounds of the cytoxan and taxotere. I do remember taxol bringing me to my knees. I had a lot of muscle and joint pain from it. Don't feel bad because you can't go to work, you need to rest sometimes! Please feel free to email me if you want to. Hope all goes well for you, keep your chin up.

    Just want to send you
    Just want to send you prayers and positive thoughts! Hang in there!

    Sue :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

    I am sorry the Taxol has hit
    I am sorry the Taxol has hit you so hard. May it be hitting those cancer cells even harder! I can't answer your specific question, but I did want you to know I also am stage 3, triple negative. I am trying, so far in vain, to get an oncologist to prescribe Zometa or other bisphosphanate to help prevent bone mets, as early trials reported at the San Antonio BC Symposium this year suggest that Zometa and other bisphosphanates may not only prevent further bone mets but also prevent new bc diagnoses. So you definitely already have a powerful drug in Zometa.

    As far as info on chemo regimens, Lili, the nurse moderator at the John Hopkins site, is exceptionally informed and helpful. She has had bc twice, once hormonal and once TN. You might also check the mets boards for breastcancer.org if you haven't already. Youngsurvivors.org has a mets section, and members usually include in their signature their diagnosis/treatment/status history. Some of them are triple negatives. (Just a caution: I don't visit there often because it is especially heartbreaking to see such young women dealing with mets. I can't imagine how I or my family would have handled it if I had been diagnosed so young.)

    I am sorry to say I have forgotten whether you have gotten second (or more) opinions. I did, for my chemo regimen last year. I ended up going with the second opinion. So you might get more opinions on which chemo regimen has been most helpful. Clinical trials are greatly encouraged, too.

    Finally, you should hear soon from CSN members who can advise you better on your specific question. Several are currently in treatment for bone mets. They will, I'm sure, help you more than I have. But, I just wanted you to know you have my prayers, Kathy, and best wishes. I hope the blood transfusion lifts your energy level right away.

    Kathy
    very sorry that you have to continue Chemo treatment. As Moopy said there are several new drugs, including Zometa. I also read about several promising developments and presentations in San Antonio. I am glad that you left your second job and have been focusing on recovery during Chemo treatment. I believe that during Chemo treatment rest and diet are very important elements. I had 6 Taxotere/Cytoxan combination and was not able to work during treatment.
    Please come here more often.We will support you through your treatment,
    Good luck with blood transfusion and hope you will feel better and stronger soon
    New Flower
  • kathyDDD
    kathyDDD Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Ritzy said:

    Just want to send you
    Just want to send you prayers and positive thoughts! Hang in there!

    Sue :)

    thank you all so much
    The transfusion was Friday and was pretty uneventful. I had no adverse reactions and seemes to have a little more energy todaya. Hopefully this will jumpstart my own red blood cells to start working better. The main thing you have all taught me is to be kind to myself and not be afraid to ask for help. I feel much better this week about my decision to take a leave from my evening teaching job. I reealize that I can fulfill my obligations to my students by taking care of myself and getting well. In the grand scheme of things, one semester out of 22 years is a blip on the screen. The strength I feel from this board is absolutely amazing. The energizer bunny should have this outlet. Thank you all again. Have a wonderful day tomorrow and may your favorite team win the Super Bowl!!!

    Kathy
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    kathyDDD said:

    thank you all so much
    The transfusion was Friday and was pretty uneventful. I had no adverse reactions and seemes to have a little more energy todaya. Hopefully this will jumpstart my own red blood cells to start working better. The main thing you have all taught me is to be kind to myself and not be afraid to ask for help. I feel much better this week about my decision to take a leave from my evening teaching job. I reealize that I can fulfill my obligations to my students by taking care of myself and getting well. In the grand scheme of things, one semester out of 22 years is a blip on the screen. The strength I feel from this board is absolutely amazing. The energizer bunny should have this outlet. Thank you all again. Have a wonderful day tomorrow and may your favorite team win the Super Bowl!!!

    Kathy

    I was diagnosed with breast
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer and bone mets in July 2008. I have since been receiving Zometa monthly, i just had a bone scan last month and right now it is stable which is very good news since it has not spread. I do have to go for lab work 2 days prior to the zometa treatment. So far, it has been working wonderful. I believe there are 3 other woman here who also have bone mets and we are all doing well. Take care and this is very treatable.