I survived the first dose, but...

Options
jamiegww
jamiegww Member Posts: 384
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my first dose of A/C last Thursday through a PICC line. It went well and I felt okay until Saturday morning when the nausea hit so bad I couldn't even keep the Zofran down. I thought I had made it clear to my onc that I could handle anything but nausea and I assumed she knew what she was doing. I went to the emergency room Sunday morning for IV fluids and nausea meds. I left with a prescription for quick-disolving Zofran instead of the pills my onc had prescribed. The emergency room doc also prescribed suppositories just in case. I'm feeling great now but I'm mentally addicted to the dissolving Zofran because I'm afraid if I stop taking it, I'll be back to where I was Saturday and I honestly wanted to die that day. On top of that, I once again cancelled the port surgery because I'm not sure I want to continue with the chemo. I'm thinking about seeing a new oncologist because I'm not sure my current onc is experienced enough. I also think I would rather get the port from a radiologist instead of a surgeon and my onc keeps telling me that can be done and then she changes her mind and says I need to use my surgeon. I'm not the only one who keeps changing her mind. If it sounds like I am going crazy, it's probably because I am.

Thank you all for being there to 'listen'.

Comments

  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Port
    As far as I know, only a surgeon can put in the port. At least that's who did mine. He will also take it out in a few months.

    As far as the nausea, I didn't have A/C but they usually give you anti-nausea meds
    interveinously before giving the chemo drug. I was given Emend for nausea and never got sick. Also had to take it for two days after. Also had steriods which helps with the nausea.

    Only you can decide to continue or not. I would recommend the port. I have terrible veins and even though I only (yea, only!) had four treatments of Cytoxan and Taxotere I was grateful to have it.

    Take care. I wish you well.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Nausea
    I was given steroids twice a day the day before chemo, EMEND the day of chemo and the next two days, and steroids for a total of three days. I never had any nausea or vomiting. ALso before administering my chemo I was given IV Benadryl and Pepcid. Are you living in a small town or do you have access to the top doctors and hospitals for cancer treatment ?

    Good luck.

    Judy
  • debbie054
    debbie054 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

    Nausea
    I was given steroids twice a day the day before chemo, EMEND the day of chemo and the next two days, and steroids for a total of three days. I never had any nausea or vomiting. ALso before administering my chemo I was given IV Benadryl and Pepcid. Are you living in a small town or do you have access to the top doctors and hospitals for cancer treatment ?

    Good luck.

    Judy

    I had my 1st c&a the 21st
    I had my 1st c&a the 21st using a port. The 3rd day Ihad a very mild headache and the 4th day very slight nausea like maybe I had ate to much. My only side effect was tired.
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    It takes a surgeon
    A surgeon has the necessary surgical skills for inserting your port properly and getting it threaded properly. Your radiation doc does probably have some surgery practice, but isn't likely to have the more specialized techniques and practice he/she would need to insert a port.

    Trust your surgeon on this one.

    It sounds like you are caught in a loop of second-guessing yourself and your doctors, Jamie. You can certainly drive yourself crazy doing that! What do you feel you need to learn in order to feel settled about this? Is that something you can ask your surgeon or oncologist?

    Hang in there--this WILL pass and one of these days, you'll look back at it all as if it was a bad dream.

    Sandy
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options

    It takes a surgeon
    A surgeon has the necessary surgical skills for inserting your port properly and getting it threaded properly. Your radiation doc does probably have some surgery practice, but isn't likely to have the more specialized techniques and practice he/she would need to insert a port.

    Trust your surgeon on this one.

    It sounds like you are caught in a loop of second-guessing yourself and your doctors, Jamie. You can certainly drive yourself crazy doing that! What do you feel you need to learn in order to feel settled about this? Is that something you can ask your surgeon or oncologist?

    Hang in there--this WILL pass and one of these days, you'll look back at it all as if it was a bad dream.

    Sandy

    So sorry you got s
    So sorry you got s sick...did they give you the Emend? Intraveniously
    first and then 2 doses to take home? If not, ask for it next time...they gave me some free samples to take home cause it's like $75. each time for the take home pills....but worth it...
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

    So sorry you got s
    So sorry you got s sick...did they give you the Emend? Intraveniously
    first and then 2 doses to take home? If not, ask for it next time...they gave me some free samples to take home cause it's like $75. each time for the take home pills....but worth it...

    surgeon vs radiologist
    I had a radiologist put mine in under conscious sedation. From what I have heard that if it is done by a surgeon then it is done under general--I could be wrong.
    So either one can install a port.

    Margo
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

    surgeon vs radiologist
    I had a radiologist put mine in under conscious sedation. From what I have heard that if it is done by a surgeon then it is done under general--I could be wrong.
    So either one can install a port.

    Margo

    I had my port under semi
    I had my port under semi conscious sedation. I also had Ac treatments and the drug Emend worked for me.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

    So sorry you got s
    So sorry you got s sick...did they give you the Emend? Intraveniously
    first and then 2 doses to take home? If not, ask for it next time...they gave me some free samples to take home cause it's like $75. each time for the take home pills....but worth it...

    You got off cheap with the
    You got off cheap with the Emend. My prescription coverage maxed out and CVS wanted $325.00 for 3 pills! Thankfully, I was able to get free Emend from the drug manufacturer through a program my oncol. office got me into. Belief me I would have taken out a loan to get it!

    About the port--mine was done by my surgeon under a local not general as out patient. I hate needles so the port was the best choice for me. I have to have Herceptin until Oct. so I'm glad I have it.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Sher43009 said:

    You got off cheap with the
    You got off cheap with the Emend. My prescription coverage maxed out and CVS wanted $325.00 for 3 pills! Thankfully, I was able to get free Emend from the drug manufacturer through a program my oncol. office got me into. Belief me I would have taken out a loan to get it!

    About the port--mine was done by my surgeon under a local not general as out patient. I hate needles so the port was the best choice for me. I have to have Herceptin until Oct. so I'm glad I have it.

    Sher
    I agree with you. My prescription also ran about $300. I also would have figured out something in order to get that drug.
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Port
    My port was put in by a radiologist in the inteventional radiology department of the hospital. I work in a different hospital, and the nurses I work with say that that is the best way to go (although I'd trust my surgeon and the surgeons I know to do it). My experience was very good. I had my first chemo today, and accessing the port went well. I hope you look into switching Oncologists. You should be able to feel confident in the team you are working with...you deserve it!
    Hugs!
    Janice
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    JanInMN said:

    Port
    My port was put in by a radiologist in the inteventional radiology department of the hospital. I work in a different hospital, and the nurses I work with say that that is the best way to go (although I'd trust my surgeon and the surgeons I know to do it). My experience was very good. I had my first chemo today, and accessing the port went well. I hope you look into switching Oncologists. You should be able to feel confident in the team you are working with...you deserve it!
    Hugs!
    Janice

    It's nice to hear that so
    It's nice to hear that so many of you had no problem with nausea. That convinces me that I need to try a new onc. I live in a rural area and wanted to support the hospital in my county but I have an appointment to see an onc in another county next Tuesday. In the meantime, I was able to stop taking the quick-dissolve Zofran and I feel great today.

    Hugs to everyone!
    Jamie