Questions About Taxol

Options
denbralou
denbralou Member Posts: 66
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have one more treatment of AC to go and then I start Taxol. I am a little worried about the side effects of this. If anyone has had Taxol and can give me any insight on what to expect, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Comments

  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Just bumped
    I just bumped up the latest Taxol thread for you.
  • denbralou
    denbralou Member Posts: 66
    Options

    Just bumped
    I just bumped up the latest Taxol thread for you.

    Thank you
    Thanks Tommaseena appreciate that.
  • deanerick
    deanerick Member Posts: 7
    Options
    i would not recommend taxol
    i would not recommend taxol as a preventative med. my wife's cancer went into other breast 6 months after end of treatment on first. due to taxol? no one knows, course dr's don't KNOW why or how you get breast cancer also.
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I have not yet started my

    I have not yet started my chemo. Will do in a couple of weeks. However this is what I found on the internet about Taxol. It goes into a fair amount of detail talking about the side effects, how the drug works etc.

    http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/taxol.asp

    Of course, it is also beneficial to hear first hand from people who have taken the drug.
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Options

    I have not yet started my

    I have not yet started my chemo. Will do in a couple of weeks. However this is what I found on the internet about Taxol. It goes into a fair amount of detail talking about the side effects, how the drug works etc.

    http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/taxol.asp

    Of course, it is also beneficial to hear first hand from people who have taken the drug.

    Taxol Patient
    I went through 16 rounds of Taxol and found it to be better than the AC chemo treatments I received first. With each treatment I received a bag of steroids, some pepcid AC and another medication with the Taxol. The steroids made me fall asleep almost immediately after they were given. I did not feel ill to my stomach and was able to eat somewhat. I drank a lot of vitamin drinks and purfied water daily. I was not as tired as I was on the AC treatments. Be sure to ask your doctor what to expect while on the drug and if you have any problems let them know immediately so that they can make adjustments. Good luck and hang tough!
    Tracey
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Taxol
    Hi Denbralou, I had four rounds of A/C then four rounds of Taxol. I felt the Taxol was much easier to handle, less nausea, and the hair actually started growing before I finished. There was bone pain, but nothing too bad. But as you will find out, we all react differently. Hope it goes well for you!
    Cat
  • denbralou
    denbralou Member Posts: 66
    Options
    cats_toy said:

    Taxol
    Hi Denbralou, I had four rounds of A/C then four rounds of Taxol. I felt the Taxol was much easier to handle, less nausea, and the hair actually started growing before I finished. There was bone pain, but nothing too bad. But as you will find out, we all react differently. Hope it goes well for you!
    Cat

    Thanks Everyone
    Thanks everyone for your comments on this. I am really worried, but it seems for the most part, most didn't have any reactions so that is what I am hoping for. Wish me luck.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    denbralou said:

    Thanks Everyone
    Thanks everyone for your comments on this. I am really worried, but it seems for the most part, most didn't have any reactions so that is what I am hoping for. Wish me luck.

    taxol
    I had 12 weekly infusions of taxol and herceptin. Had absolutely NO nausea ... or other "major" side effects. All side effects I did have were totally manageable. (lost my hair, skin rashes, constipation, bloody nose, nail problems etc ... but the good taxol is suppposed to do totally outweighs the short-term side effects).

    hugs.
    teena
  • girls4444
    girls4444 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    taxol
    I have received 3 treatments of taxol with 9 more to go. Taxol has very different side effects that acs, my finger nails are trying to come off, I have a rash on my face and my teeth hurt. It is all do able, not pleasant but do able.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    girls4444 said:

    taxol
    I have received 3 treatments of taxol with 9 more to go. Taxol has very different side effects that acs, my finger nails are trying to come off, I have a rash on my face and my teeth hurt. It is all do able, not pleasant but do able.

    Just finished my 12th and final TAXOL and had no significant
    side effects at all. A little neuropathy(sp?) on the fingertips and feet and dry mouth. Easy to live with after the a/c treatments! Make sure to chew on ice chips during the treatment as it seems to help a lot.
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    Options
    deanerick said:

    i would not recommend taxol
    i would not recommend taxol as a preventative med. my wife's cancer went into other breast 6 months after end of treatment on first. due to taxol? no one knows, course dr's don't KNOW why or how you get breast cancer also.

    ?
    have no clue what your talking about. she never got breast cancer from taxol.it just came back
  • hncroper
    hncroper Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Taxol
    Hello,
    I have 2 more treatments of taxol. I had 4 bi weekly rounds of ac and 12 weekly of taxol. The taxol is a lot better than the AC was by far. I do not sleep a lot due to the steroids, maybe about 2 hours a night. The first treatment of taxol they should go very slow due to alot of people being allergic to the chemo drug then afterward if no problems it is fairly easy. I did get a bloody nose and stuffy nose, but nothing to complain about.