Started rads today

Options
2»

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Judy, I have read all of
    Judy, I have read all of this thread, and boy did it bring back memories that I really thought were long gone (although it was only a year ago that I completed rads). You are so right in that lying on that table with upper body exposed to the world is a complete embarrassment. Just always remember that the machine is helping you to beat this beast, and get on with your life. I talked to the machine every day, and kept mumbling under my breath so I didn't look like a complete idiot to the techs. We all have our own way of couping with b/c, and I think whatever you do to calm yourself, the techs have probably seen it already. With all you have been through already, you will get through this as well. Just keep your eye on the end of treatment, and remember you can always come here to find the comfort of others. By the way, we now have three Judy's who are posting on this board, so hope everyone can keep us straight. I'm the oldest! Take care of yourself, and we will all take this journey with you. Hugs.

Judy

Tracys/Traceys/Tracis
    Yes, but I think you Judys are still outnumbered by all of us Tracys/Traceys/Tracis -- but there's nothing to fear, we come in peace (bwahahaha!!).

:-) Traci
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Options
    Judy, I cried after every
    Judy, I cried after every rad treatment for the first two weeks!!! I hated it! My arm was sore from putting it over my head; I hated having male techs; I was miserable going and waiting every day. I am in week 6 out of 8 and I have to say I can not wait for this to be over. Oh - to help with the sore arm, I put my good arm up first and then supported the bad arm with the good. I sing a song in my head the entire time I'm on the table and try to ignore the male techs. Today I told my husband that I am officially only 2 weeks from being finished...and we WILL celebrate! The time does go by quickly once you get used to the routine. Good luck to you! Pitt
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    pitt said:

Judy, I cried after every
    Judy, I cried after every rad treatment for the first two weeks!!! I hated it! My arm was sore from putting it over my head; I hated having male techs; I was miserable going and waiting every day. I am in week 6 out of 8 and I have to say I can not wait for this to be over. Oh - to help with the sore arm, I put my good arm up first and then supported the bad arm with the good. I sing a song in my head the entire time I'm on the table and try to ignore the male techs. Today I told my husband that I am officially only 2 weeks from being finished...and we WILL celebrate! The time does go by quickly once you get used to the routine. Good luck to you! Pitt

rads
    Today was much easier, but I know next week when they need more x-rays it will be harder again. Luckily I have a female and a male tech and the female is always the one positioning me and the male is behind the wall/door (?) and works the machine. But yesterday the senior resident came in while I was outstretched, head turned to the left and poked around my breast, checked the tatooes, etc, and then on his way out said, "nice seeing you today Judy".....Nice seeing me ?? he never even looked at my face !!! But today the radiation oncologist came in and before he did anything he came over to me looked at me, grabbed my hand and said "I'm here to check on you"....class act for sure. He needs to teach the resident some bedside manners...

My way to calm myself is think of my granddaughter and all the cute little things she does and says now...(she's 2)...and that she'll be visiting soon.

Judy
  • Vonn
    Vonn Member Posts: 8
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

rads
    Today was much easier, but I know next week when they need more x-rays it will be harder again. Luckily I have a female and a male tech and the female is always the one positioning me and the male is behind the wall/door (?) and works the machine. But yesterday the senior resident came in while I was outstretched, head turned to the left and poked around my breast, checked the tatooes, etc, and then on his way out said, "nice seeing you today Judy".....Nice seeing me ?? he never even looked at my face !!! But today the radiation oncologist came in and before he did anything he came over to me looked at me, grabbed my hand and said "I'm here to check on you"....class act for sure. He needs to teach the resident some bedside manners...

My way to calm myself is think of my granddaughter and all the cute little things she does and says now...(she's 2)...and that she'll be visiting soon.

Judy

I was uncomfortable for my 1st treatment
    I am 35 and for my 1st treatment I went in with a very bad attitude. I was like " I am going in there do my treatment and get out of there" before my 1st treatment. That 1st day I was beat! I went home and slept the whole day away. I was thinking to myself...dont tell me that its going to be like this the whole way through. Of course it got a little easier once I lost the attitude but as I got used to the tech's that treated me. My tech's are 2 young males and that alone made me feel VERY uncomfortable. I was thinking ohh my what if these people see me out, they know that I have breast cancer (I should say HAD).

I agree, laying there on that bed with the machines is very lonely, but I always look at it as its helping me prolong my life and only takes 10 minutes of my day. Just like someone mentioned....there is an end to the treatments and just focus on the finish line. I used to lay on the bed and have all these cancer thoughts run through my mind, it drove me insane. I lay on my tummy for my treatments so I dont see the machine working or moving. I can only hear everything that is going on, sometimes I am thinking ...um okay...its taking a little too long for it to get started...whats going on? Then the machine starts beaming.

I had 17 treatments done and have just about the same amount of treatments left to do. I am halfway done! YAY! I dont feel as tired as I did on the 1st day. I still go to work everyday too. Some days I go to a spin class in the morning before my treatments. I REFUSE to put my life on hold because of this battle.

The tech's are so kind and they chit chat with me everyday just to make it easy for me. I know sometimes it may be hard for them too, knowing we are all around the same age.

Good luck to you ms Judy....With your granddaughter coming SOON, the finish line will be a whole lot closer for you!