Being bald

Options
2»

Comments

• LMT said:

Going out without your wig
    Hi Tina,

You are so beautiful. I have just about lost most of my hair but I am waiting for my son to come visit and I just may go out without my wig. His hair really thinned out so he shaved it. We should get many looks and questions. I am sure we will have many stories to tell. I did find some cotton caps at a wig store and my wig does not bother me. I can change them as needed.

Keeping you in my prayers.
    Leanne

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    Bald
    Tina,

You do look lovely bald! I too lost all of my hair after first dose of taxol. I had NO hair anywhere on my body. I wore a wig in public as I did not want others feeling sorry for me. But I am comfortable in my skin (God made me unique - just like you), so I had no problem being bald (my husband and oldest son had the worse time with it).

As for eyebrows, I got stencils from Sally's and used them for a little while. I made angry eyebrows, arched eyebrows (they say that arched eyebrows make you look younger!), but then just free handed my eyebrows as it got easier the more I practiced. And used eyeliner on my eyelids which helped it appear as if I had eyelashes.

As far as the nose hairs went, yes your nose does run, but it runs anyways with chemo and with any Neulasta, Neumega or Neupogen shot! (My nose has been running for quite awhile lately ☺).

You look great! Do what you feel comfortable doing.

Living for Eternity,
    Libby
  • Chemo_Princess
    Chemo_Princess Member Posts: 105
    Options
    You look great!
    I think you look fantastic bald!! You are so beautiful :-) I have gone out without a wig or hat and it was quite liberating. I got lots of looks and just smiled and said hello to the folks who were looking. Rather than get upset over my hair loss I decided to have fun with it. I have 10 wigs, all different colors and styles. I have one that I call my 'good wig'--it looks like my real hair. The others are just fun. I'm having a blast with different looks!! I do wish the wigs weren't so darn hot though! I'm going thru menopause and I have learned that wigs and hot flashes do not mix well at all!
    Blessings to you! ~Natalie
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

You look great!
    I think you look fantastic bald!! You are so beautiful :-) I have gone out without a wig or hat and it was quite liberating. I got lots of looks and just smiled and said hello to the folks who were looking. Rather than get upset over my hair loss I decided to have fun with it. I have 10 wigs, all different colors and styles. I have one that I call my 'good wig'--it looks like my real hair. The others are just fun. I'm having a blast with different looks!! I do wish the wigs weren't so darn hot though! I'm going thru menopause and I have learned that wigs and hot flashes do not mix well at all!
    Blessings to you! ~Natalie

Hello Natalie
    Thank-you for your comments. I think you are so brave to go out without your wig or a hat. I would so much like to do it (I can't explain why I want to I just know I do) but don't feel confident enough. You have 10 wigs - wow what a way to go. I love your attitude its like sticking 2 fingers up to the cancer and saying "Do what you want I can just wear a different wig" I think you have given me the confidence to buy a funky wig and go out in it. That'll be a start! I know I will get lots of stares and looks but so what?

I too am going through the menopause and yes the wig just makes you so uncomfortable - can't imagine what it would be like in the summer! However cos it is winter at the moment my bald head gets cold in the house and I sometimes have to wear a bandana.

Lovely to hear from you Tina xxx
  • BetsyD
    BetsyD Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello Natalie
    Thank-you for your comments. I think you are so brave to go out without your wig or a hat. I would so much like to do it (I can't explain why I want to I just know I do) but don't feel confident enough. You have 10 wigs - wow what a way to go. I love your attitude its like sticking 2 fingers up to the cancer and saying "Do what you want I can just wear a different wig" I think you have given me the confidence to buy a funky wig and go out in it. That'll be a start! I know I will get lots of stares and looks but so what?

I too am going through the menopause and yes the wig just makes you so uncomfortable - can't imagine what it would be like in the summer! However cos it is winter at the moment my bald head gets cold in the house and I sometimes have to wear a bandana.

Lovely to hear from you Tina xxx

Balding it in public
    The only place I've had nerve to go without hat or wig is to the chemo center. It felt really strange the first time, to walk across the parking lot and into the lobby, but I made sure I walked in with confidence. I figured that everyone there would understand, but I still got 'the look'. I was fine until my chemo started and I got cold, so the hat got added anyway. I'll have to take a photo to upload. Betsy