Newbies--things you should not put on a thread and other TIPS

tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Newbies,
Things you should not put on a thread is any personal information like email addresses, home addresses.

Tips:
1. you can always PM(private message) someone by going to CSN home and in the middle column there is email--make sure you know the screen name of the person you want to PM.

2. in a thread and there are new messages and you don't want to scroll through every message you can click on example 3 new and it will bring you to the first new one since you signed on last.

3. Spell check--if the word is underlined in red then you go to that word and right click and it will give you the dictionary spelling and if it is not there like medications and you know you have spelled it correctly you can add it to your dictionary by right clicking and add it.

If there is anyone else with any tips for newbies please add.

Thank you.

Hugs to all,
Margo

Comments

• tommaseena
    to add a friend
    I forgot one of the most important to some:
    Adding a friend.
    You will not see a little person beside your screen name but will see it beside others if you click on it you can add them as a friend. The green plus sign will become a brown minus sign and that means they are one of your friends which makes it easier to PM them.

The reason why you won't see one beside your screen name is because you can't add yourself to your own friend list.

Hope this helps some.

Margo
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

to add a friend
    Adding a friend.
    You will not see a little person beside your screen name but will see it beside others if you click on it you can add them as a friend. The green plus sign will become a brown minus sign and that means they are one of your friends which makes it easier to PM them.

The reason why you won't see one beside your screen name is because you can't add yourself to your own friend list.

Hope this helps some.

Margo

Margo, how do you do spell
    Margo, how do you do spell check here? I rely heavily on it for email, but didn't know I oculd use it here. I would love to use it. By the way, can you set spell check on Facebook?

Joyce

PS case in point oculd. I just had to leave it as an illustration.
  • tommaseena
    jk1952 said:

Margo, how do you do spell
    Margo, how do you do spell check here? I rely heavily on it for email, but didn't know I oculd use it here. I would love to use it. By the way, can you set spell check on Facebook?

Joyce

PS case in point oculd. I just had to leave it as an illustration.

spell check
    I know my computer is set up so when i am typing out on a thread and I have typed something incorrect or it thinks I have then the word is underlined in red and then I go to that word and right click it and it will give me the spellings of either the word I wanted or something close to it and I then choose the word and if I know I have spelled it correct I can add it to my dictionary.

On FB I have seen the same.

Hope this helps you Joyce. Did your oculd have a red line under it? Mind did.

Margo
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729

to add a friend
    Adding a friend.

Hope this helps some.

Margo

hum
    Don't know what program you type in but when I type a message to post I do not have spellcheck. No red underline.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

spell check
    I know my computer is set up so when i am typing out on a thread and I have typed something incorrect or it thinks I have then the word is underlined in red and then I go to that word and right click it and it will give me the spellings of either the word I wanted or something close to it and I then choose the word and if I know I have spelled it correct I can add it to my dictionary.

Margo

Search option
    you can also use "Search"option before starting a new topic. It will help you to see previous discussions and modify your own question.
    Margo thank you for starting this.
    New Flower
  • tommaseena
    Marcia527 said:

hum
    Don't know what program you type in but when I type a message to post I do not have spellcheck. No red underline.

Hum
    I don't know what program I type in because I type in the box for reply and it underlines things that are not correct or thinks it is correct.
  • tommaseena

Hum
    I don't know what program I type in because I type in the box for reply and it underlines things that are not correct or thinks it is correct.

Hopefully this will work after the 5th time
    # At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the ToolsFirefoxEdit menu, and select Options...Preferences....
    # Select the Advanced panel.
    # Click the General tab.

Then I go to ADVANCED and then make sure the box "check my spelling as I type is checked off."

I'm sure other programs work about the same way.

Best of luck to all.

Margo
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729

Hopefully this will work after the 5th time
    # At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the ToolsFirefoxEdit menu, and select Options...Preferences....
    # Select the Advanced panel.
    # Click the General tab.

Then I go to ADVANCED and then make sure the box "check my spelling as I type is checked off."

I'm sure other programs work about the same way.

Best of luck to all.

Margo

I use Internet Explorer. It
    I use Internet Explorer. It must be a difference between them. I looked and could find no 'check my spelling' option. Bummer.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508

Hum

Mine does this too
    I get a red underline whenever I have a typo. Hmmm, not sure why it isn't the same for everyone.
  • jk1952

spell check

Margo

Thanks, Margo. I noticed

Thanks, Margo. I noticed the misspelling right after I hit 'Post Comment'. It didn't have a red line under it. I get lots of red lines when I have spell checker, and I'm pretty dependent on it. I'll have to see if I can find a default for it on my laptop.

Joyce
  • jk1952
    Marcia527 said:

I use Internet Explorer. It
    I use Internet Explorer. It must be a difference between them. I looked and could find no 'check my spelling' option. Bummer.

Marcia, I think you're

Marcia, I think you're right. I think that it's because we are using Internet Explorer. I'll see if I can find something like this in Explorer.

Joyce