home from hospital

tat2granny
tat2granny Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Sorry I haven't posted. I am doing fine! Had my lumpectomy Thursday and only 15 nodes were affected! Just dealing with this drain. Not very much pain just really sore arm, and can't wait till all this tape is gone and I can shower! Sleeping is a hassle, laying flat isn't working. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Pillows, lot's of pillows.
    Pillows, lot's of pillows. Under your arm is a good place to stuff a pillow. I did not lay flat. My arm was very sore to and there is not much you can do about it. You will feel so much better when the drain comes out. Hang in there.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Glad You're Home
    I am glad that you are home and feeling better. Take it easy and don't try to do anything especially something strenuous. Like Kat said, use lots of pillows. I made like a cradle of pillows in the bed and comfortable propped myself up. Laying flat hurt my arm.

Take care.

P
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Glad you are home and the
    Glad you are home and the surgery is past you. On to recovery and getting your strength back. Lots of pillows helped me, too. Sleeping was a challenge. It does slowly get better. One day at a time. We are stronger than we think. Take care. Marilyn
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    husband pillow
    I got a husband pillow that helps you sit up while laying down and it worked great. If you don't know what this is go to google images and type in husband pillow and you'll get a picture. You can find then at most chain stores. Hope this helps.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Glad you are back home. Hang
    Glad you are back home. Hang in there the drain will be out before you know it.

When I read (helen e's post) about the husband pillow I thought they meant they lay their head on their husband! tee hee. Never had heard that term before.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Glad it went well!
    I echo the recommendations for lots of pillows and for taking it easy as you recover.

Sending you lots of healing hugs,
    Cindy
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    My Recliner
    My recliner became my bed for the first few nights after my lumpectomy. After that I found that I could lay in bed, on that side, but only in a certain position. If I laid on my left side, the weight of the breast hurt. Sort of a fetal position was good. Me and my recliner became good buddies, and I find if I have trouble sleeping (which seems to happen more and more lately), I know I can go there and get a few hours in before the alarm goes off. Good Luck and I'm glad you are out of the hospital. Just a few more bumps in the road until you get to Cansurvivorville.
    Hugs - Pat
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    padee6339 said:

My Recliner
    My recliner became my bed for the first few nights after my lumpectomy. After that I found that I could lay in bed, on that side, but only in a certain position. If I laid on my left side, the weight of the breast hurt. Sort of a fetal position was good. Me and my recliner became good buddies, and I find if I have trouble sleeping (which seems to happen more and more lately), I know I can go there and get a few hours in before the alarm goes off. Good Luck and I'm glad you are out of the hospital. Just a few more bumps in the road until you get to Cansurvivorville.
    Hugs - Pat

Glad to read that you are
    Glad to read that you are home now!
  • jbryant
    jbryant Member Posts: 6
    Friday Surgery
    I just had my lumpectomy on Friday of last week. I was fortunate that I had a sentinal node biopsy that allowed the physician to remove only the nodes closest to the tumor. So only a few removed. (came up negative) The physician did a 2 1/2 inch incision. The physician also does not believe in having drains. She said that were the tumor was will fill in with fluid, then scar tissue. The breast will keep it's shape., no indent. You may want to ask your doctor about the drains.

I have found that ice is my best friend. Lots and lots of ice. I also am moving my arm. Nothing crazy. It keeps the muscles going and reduces swelling.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    jbryant said:

Friday Surgery
    I just had my lumpectomy on Friday of last week. I was fortunate that I had a sentinal node biopsy that allowed the physician to remove only the nodes closest to the tumor. So only a few removed. (came up negative) The physician did a 2 1/2 inch incision. The physician also does not believe in having drains. She said that were the tumor was will fill in with fluid, then scar tissue. The breast will keep it's shape., no indent. You may want to ask your doctor about the drains.

I have found that ice is my best friend. Lots and lots of ice. I also am moving my arm. Nothing crazy. It keeps the muscles going and reduces swelling.

Jbryant,
    I think that the

Jbryant,
    I think that the drains are used more with mastectomy and when more than just a couple nodes are taken. The drains are usually needed in these cases. Like you I had a lumpectomy and only 3 nodes removed so no drains.
    Stef
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    fauxma said:

Jbryant,
    I think that the

Jbryant,
    I think that the drains are used more with mastectomy and when more than just a couple nodes are taken. The drains are usually needed in these cases. Like you I had a lumpectomy and only 3 nodes removed so no drains.
    Stef

thanks
    thanks so much for all your comments. I am feeling a lot better today. My couch (it's the wrap around type) has become my best friend! And I think I have just about every pillow in the house there. Am resting whenever I get too tired. Thank God for the man in my life, he has taken over all the household chores and even screens my phone calls. Don't know what I'd do without him! The only thing I wish I could do right now is take a shower!!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

thanks
    thanks so much for all your comments. I am feeling a lot better today. My couch (it's the wrap around type) has become my best friend! And I think I have just about every pillow in the house there. Am resting whenever I get too tired. Thank God for the man in my life, he has taken over all the household chores and even screens my phone calls. Don't know what I'd do without him! The only thing I wish I could do right now is take a shower!!

So glad that you are feeling
    So glad that you are feeling better!

♥ Noel