NED victory trip

Options
menright
menright Member Posts: 256 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am considering taking my wife and kids on a trip somewhere sunny to celebrate NED.

Please share your thoughts and history with trips of this sort. I am uncertain where we will go, but it seems very important to celebrate the moment.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    The Happiest Place in the World :)
    DISNEYWORLD!

Hey Mike - did not know you had gone NED...last I heard you were waiting on a liver resect. I must have missed something, maybe when I was out with DaVinci surgery. Great news! Really happy for you!

Disneyworld in Florida meets your criteria - fun and warm!

We honeymooned there and had the time of our lives - it is much bigger now of course, but I've seen updates on the Discover channel about what's happenin' down there.

Never a dull moment, always something to do and very fun. Take in Disneyword, Epcot and MGM Studios (may be renamed now). They do everything 1st Class all the way down there.

You could even take in Universal Studios which is not in the Disney kingdom.

We recently found some old pictures of Disney and it brought back so many memories of when we were living, really living...and having fun too.

That's my recommendation - if you can't have fun there, check your pulse. It makes you feel like a kid again. One day, I hope to return and see all the new stuff.

Congratulations on NED.

-Craig
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    questions
    How old are the kids?

What does your family enjoy doing together the most?
    Are you more "action" focused, or quiet family time?
    Is there any one big adventure you've always wanted to experience?
    Extended family you'd like to visit and include?
    Do you have a special family place - cabin, resort, somewhere you've been before that would be most comfortable for everyone?
    Or would you prefer something totally new and different - a new start in life?
    Is your energy level back up and you want to get out and show the world you are ready to rock-n-roll again, or would a more peaceful time spent more privately with family be more your style?

For me it is oceans and islands that give me strength and renewal. We don't have the date yet, but all my extended family and friends know that we are having one HUGE party on Isla Mujeres once I finish chemo and get my strength up! It is my second home - where family and a slower pace of life reign. Where people and beauty mean more than things.

For one of my daughters it is mountains that move her. I have clients that live to cruise, and others that wouldn't go on a cruise if you paid them. Same for Disney or scheduled tours. Some love them, some hate them. Every person and every family has a different style - what is great for one, won't be the best for the other. Kick some answers around to the above questions - maybe ask everyone in the family to give their suggestion of what they think the very best celebration would be, and vote on it?
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Do it Right!
    Mike,

I was diagnosed stage 4 on August 23, 2004. By the Spring '05, after colon and liver resections and 6 months of chemo I was NED. That summer we took a trip.

At the time our daughters (3) were all in their early 20's. We live in Vancouver. Here's what we did...

We flew to Pam's Mom's place in Nova Scotia, visited there and then borrowed her car to drive to Ontario where we joined with all my siblings to celebrate my Mom and Dad's 50th. From there... the real highlight.

We drove down to New York City, parked the car in one of the downtown Manhattan garages and enjoyed the city for the next 3 days and nights. Broadway shows, Yankees game, harbour tour, a wondeful time. I do think the highlight for the girls was "Victoria Secret" though!! I had to spend a couple of hours cooling my heels in a pub at the Empire State Building while Pam and her 3 girls wentr crazy over bra's and what have you!

We spent August 23, 2005, 1 year since diagnosis, watching the Blue Jays and the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. What a way to mark the milestone.

<----see picture

After New York we visited family on Cape Cod and then headed north to Nova Scotia. It was truly a memorable trip and great way to celebrate recovery.

Fortunately we had also decided to down-size our living arrangement so we had extra cash!

So... have fun planning it and even more fun doing it!

Rob; in Vancouver
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Caribbean paradise
    Congrats, gotta celebrate NED! My wife and I went to Antigua the week before my operation. By far, the best vacation spot I've been to so far. Might want to try a cruise, love those. Will have plenty to do to keep the kids busy, different destinations, and can pick and choose what activities you want to do with various excursions.

-DJ
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    P_I_T_A said:

Caribbean paradise
    Congrats, gotta celebrate NED! My wife and I went to Antigua the week before my operation. By far, the best vacation spot I've been to so far. Might want to try a cruise, love those. Will have plenty to do to keep the kids busy, different destinations, and can pick and choose what activities you want to do with various excursions.

-DJ

Mike...........Glad to hear finally....
    Been a long journey, keep up the good work bud, I would let them choose, I think they will serve you well in their decision.........Love and Hope, Buzz
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Camping
    Well kind of. We actually spent two nights at a cottage at our camp resort. It was nice to get away. Congratulations and great news on your new status. Where ever you decide to go, even if it is just to the park, great news like that deserves the major focus. Awesome.

Kim
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

The Happiest Place in the World :)
    DISNEYWORLD!

Hey Mike - did not know you had gone NED...last I heard you were waiting on a liver resect. I must have missed something, maybe when I was out with DaVinci surgery. Great news! Really happy for you!

Disneyworld in Florida meets your criteria - fun and warm!

We honeymooned there and had the time of our lives - it is much bigger now of course, but I've seen updates on the Discover channel about what's happenin' down there.

Never a dull moment, always something to do and very fun. Take in Disneyword, Epcot and MGM Studios (may be renamed now). They do everything 1st Class all the way down there.

You could even take in Universal Studios which is not in the Disney kingdom.

We recently found some old pictures of Disney and it brought back so many memories of when we were living, really living...and having fun too.

That's my recommendation - if you can't have fun there, check your pulse. It makes you feel like a kid again. One day, I hope to return and see all the new stuff.

Congratulations on NED.

-Craig

I love Disneyworld!
    I've been 3 times (4 day pass each time). One trip with each daughter. I would love to go back with the whole family but I'll have to wait until the girls can afford to take me!

Rob; in Vancouver
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Celebrate!
    Daggone right it's important to celebrate that moment! I think right now the particular place is not as important as just being together. Take lots of pictures, laugh a lot, enjoy each other to the hilt.

Try to be really good at pushing negative thoughts aside. I still have a tendency to be in the middle of a great, wonderful family time and get a feeling I want to cry, because I'm so happy I'm there to have that moment. SMILE a LOT!

I'm so happy for you, Mike.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Options
    Hawaii
    On of my favorite places, your kids will love it too. I think it i Whale season and you will be able to see and hear them.
    Cpngrats. on your NED! Something we all aspire to.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    Mike
    Mike,
    Awesome on NED!!! Of course I'm partial to Hawaii after living here 10 years. Warm water, beautiful scenery, whales (we saw some last weekend), hiking, great restaurants, kayaking.... fun!

I know wherever you go it will be joyful!!
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    glad to hear you're NED!
    Hello! I'm also glad to hear about the NED- I don't remember hearing that- congratulations!!! Hawaii is always a winner of a spot to visit! Something I think is a really cool place to visit in Florida is the Everglades. Take a trip across the Alligator Highway and you'll think you're in a different country or world. I've been through twice and it's been awesome each time. Take a fanboat ride (we found, having taken both, that the one on the Seminole Indian reservations are better than the others). My kids loved being there! Maybe you could go to Disneyworld, then drive down to the tip of the Florida keys, back up again, and across through the Everglades. I'd love to go do that trip again! If you want to see alligators, you'll see more when the weather is cooler- they come up out of the water to sun themselves. They stay hidden- submerged under water in the hot weather.
    That's just my thoughts and idea- hope it ends up great no matter where you decide to go!!

I'm still so happy you've gotten to NED status!!!
    Lisa
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Way to GO
    I am so happy to hear this news!! Celebrate, Celebrate and Celebrate!

God Bless
    beth