Itching after rads - any recommendations?

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished rads 4 weeks ago -- I burned really badly under both arms, but have healed up very nicely. But my skin in those areas has started to itch like crazy!

When I saw my rads oncologist a week ago, he told me that the itching is normal, and that I "can use any lotions I want now." I tried the Aveeno anti-itch lotion, but it isn't really helping -- did anyone else have this problem, and/or have any suggestions for something to try?

Thanks (scratch, scratch) for any advice,

:-) Traci

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    I had itching on my nipple
    I had itching on my nipple several weeks out. I used the aloe and it helped some, but I actually found that taking some benadryl (I used the kid's stuff) helped. I think the itching isn't really external, mine felt like I was itchy inside my skin. You also might try calamine or a paste of baking soda and water (very messy but it worked on chicken pox or bites). And yes, ain't it a B***H to have a itch where if you scratch you either look like a monkey or you are playing with yourself. LOL
    Stef
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Itching
    Traci..........

I had the same thing.......I used a cortisone creme and it helped greatly! I am 2 months out of rads and still itch at times.....I think it's from the dry skin.....but again, the cortisone creme was a blessing.....
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    MAJW said:

Itching
    Traci..........

I had the same thing.......I used a cortisone creme and it helped greatly! I am 2 months out of rads and still itch at times.....I think it's from the dry skin.....but again, the cortisone creme was a blessing.....

I used a cortisone cream.

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867

Hi Traci ♥
    The only thing that worked for me when I broke out in a rash was a presciption creme that my rads oncologist gave to me. It was
    Triamcinolone 0.1% creme. He said it was radiation dermatitis and was very common. As soon as I applied it, the itching stopped and the rash cleared up. If you get some, let me know if it works for you. I tried cortisone, benadryl and everything else before this and none of it worked that well for me. I know it is awful. I hope you get something soon that works for you.

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    I had the same problem...got
    I had the same problem...got some hydrocortisone cream from the rad onc. Told me to try that first, if i still had itching to add zyrtec (allergy medication-antihistamine you can by over the counter) and if I still had itching add zantac (used for people w/heartburn/ulcers...you can also by this over the counter). Basically, the goal is to block all the "itch" producing histamine. I didn't need the zantac...

The hydrocortisone can kind of "thin" your skin and dry it out more (go figure!) so you need to use some good cream about 1 hr after.

I also asked the doc about using benadryl lotion, he said there was no reason not to and I could try it if I wanted.

As always...if your not sure about taking meds, you could call your doc. But these are all available over the counter.

The itch is wicked though, especially my nipple...and it just isn't PC to scratch one's nipple in public!!! ;-)

Blessings....
    Julie
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jbug said:

I had the same problem...got
    I had the same problem...got some hydrocortisone cream from the rad onc. Told me to try that first, if i still had itching to add zyrtec (allergy medication-antihistamine you can by over the counter) and if I still had itching add zantac (used for people w/heartburn/ulcers...you can also by this over the counter). Basically, the goal is to block all the "itch" producing histamine. I didn't need the zantac...

The hydrocortisone can kind of "thin" your skin and dry it out more (go figure!) so you need to use some good cream about 1 hr after.

I also asked the doc about using benadryl lotion, he said there was no reason not to and I could try it if I wanted.

As always...if your not sure about taking meds, you could call your doc. But these are all available over the counter.

The itch is wicked though, especially my nipple...and it just isn't PC to scratch one's nipple in public!!! ;-)

Blessings....
    Julie

Cortisone cream 1% active
    my radiologist advised me to use. It did help.
    try it,it is OTC product.
    New Flower
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

Cortisone cream 1% active
    my radiologist advised me to use. It did help.
    try it,it is OTC product.
    New Flower

ALOE !
    I found aloe was the best for me. Not a lotion or cream with aloe ... but the straight aloe gel stuff. You can buy it in the drug store. I swear by it for just about everything ... itching ... burning etc.

hugs.
    teena
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    tgf said:

ALOE !
    I found aloe was the best for me. Not a lotion or cream with aloe ... but the straight aloe gel stuff. You can buy it in the drug store. I swear by it for just about everything ... itching ... burning etc.

hugs.
    teena

Triamcinolone
    I didn't have this, and, I hope that I don't get it, but, my radiation oncologist gave me samples of the Triamcinolone cream to use just incase it happened. You really should call your rads oncologist and talk to him directly about your itching and what to use. You can tell him about all of our recommendations and see what he says. Hope your itching goes away soon Traci!

Sue :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Ritzy said:

Triamcinolone
    I didn't have this, and, I hope that I don't get it, but, my radiation oncologist gave me samples of the Triamcinolone cream to use just incase it happened. You really should call your rads oncologist and talk to him directly about your itching and what to use. You can tell him about all of our recommendations and see what he says. Hope your itching goes away soon Traci!

I hope you find something
    I hope you find something that works for you. I bet it is awful. Let us know if you find something that takes the itches away. Good luck Traci!

Debby
  • TraciInLA
    DebbyM said:

I hope you find something
    I hope you find something that works for you. I bet it is awful. Let us know if you find something that takes the itches away. Good luck Traci!

Debby

Thanks for all your suggestions
    I don't have any kind of rash at all, and it kind of feels like persistent dry-skin-type itching, like MAJW mentioned, so I'm experimenting with the cortisone cream + another lotion an hour after, like Julie suggested.

I swear I thought of you, Teena, while standing in my bathroom, before you even posted -- "Teena swears by aloe for everything" -- and I tried that first, but it just doesn't seem to do anything for me. What seems to be working best so far is the cortisone cream for the itching + the Udderly Smooth lotion they had me use all though rads for the dryness.

Thanks again for the good suggestions -- I'll keep you posted!

Traci
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    TraciInLA said:

I don't have any kind of rash at all, and it kind of feels like persistent dry-skin-type itching, like MAJW mentioned, so I'm experimenting with the cortisone cream + another lotion an hour after, like Julie suggested.

I swear I thought of you, Teena, while standing in my bathroom, before you even posted -- "Teena swears by aloe for everything" -- and I tried that first, but it just doesn't seem to do anything for me. What seems to be working best so far is the cortisone cream for the itching + the Udderly Smooth lotion they had me use all though rads for the dryness.

Traci

Hope it all works for you
    Hope it all works for you Traci! Keep us informed of how you do.

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    TraciInLA said:

Traci

Still itching?
    So Traci, is it better yet? If not, you might want to call your doctor.</♥</font>

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • TraciInLA
    Jeanne D said:

Still itching?
    So Traci, is it better yet? If not, you might want to call your doctor.</♥</font>

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>

"Still itching"? LOL!
    Where else but on this board could you ask someone you've never even met, "So, are you still itching?" :-)

The more moisturized I keep everything, the better it feels, so I do think it's a dry skin/healing issue.

I put on my lotions this morning, then hadn't thought about it all day today (which must mean I hadn't been itching!) until you asked, Jeanne, then I was like oh yeah, I forgot, scritch scratch -- thanks a lot, Jeanne! :-)

:-) Traci