Rads

calvertcrafts
calvertcrafts Member Posts: 93 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went for my CT scan before starting Rads yesterday. The dr mentioned tatoos to mark me for radiation. Has anyone done this? Does it hurt? How large are the dots?

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    I have 4 tatoos. One on each
    I have 4 tatoos. One on each side under my arms, and side of each breast with 2 smaller ones in the center between the breasts. The little ones did not hurt but the ones on the side felt like bee stings. The small ones are the size of a pen dot with the larger ones the size of a pinhead. They use these markers to line you up with laser beams before treatments.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    It really isn't bad... I had
    It really isn't bad... I had 5... I laughed with the techs and told them that now my husband could play connect the dots and asked if they could make it into a smily face... five little pokes..and it's done.. their not bad at all... just try to relax... I know easier said than done...but it really isn't too bad after everything else you've indured!

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    No, it isn't bad, it just
    No, it isn't bad, it just feels like a quick bee sting. But when they use the other marker for the RADs, wear old bra or T-shirt, it does come off on the shirt/bra. I think they use like a "sharpie" I t will come out if you use spray and wash when you wash it, though. I just had trouble completely getting rid of the marker marks when I was finished with RADS, you don't want to get too rough on your skin, it does come off in time, I used DOVE soap, I'm still using DOVE.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Tattoos nothing to worry about
    I was TERRIFIED when they said the word "tattoos" -- I made my girlfriend go with me to the appointment, I was so scared -- and was SO surprised and relieved that it was totally nothing at all.

I have 3 teeny blue tattoos -- one on each side at about the bra line, one in the center, just below my cleavage. They are each the size of a pen dot. Each one felt like just the quickest tiny pinprick, like when you prick yourself while you're sewing.

I remember months ago one woman on this board laughing at herself because she heard the word "tattoo" and thought they were going to get out a tattoo gun like at tattoo parlors! Not at all -- it's just a tiny needle.

Like Taleena, I was hoping for something a little more fun -- I asked the tech if I could have a flaming sword, or maybe one of those hula dancer tattoos sailors get that would "dance" when my breasts jiggled....alas, they told me my insurance doesn't cover that....

:-) Traci
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Tattoos nothing to worry about
    I was TERRIFIED when they said the word "tattoos" -- I made my girlfriend go with me to the appointment, I was so scared -- and was SO surprised and relieved that it was totally nothing at all.

I have 3 teeny blue tattoos -- one on each side at about the bra line, one in the center, just below my cleavage. They are each the size of a pen dot. Each one felt like just the quickest tiny pinprick, like when you prick yourself while you're sewing.

I remember months ago one woman on this board laughing at herself because she heard the word "tattoo" and thought they were going to get out a tattoo gun like at tattoo parlors! Not at all -- it's just a tiny needle.

Like Taleena, I was hoping for something a little more fun -- I asked the tech if I could have a flaming sword, or maybe one of those hula dancer tattoos sailors get that would "dance" when my breasts jiggled....alas, they told me my insurance doesn't cover that....

:-) Traci

It's not bad at all. Tiny
    It's not bad at all. Tiny little blue dot's.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Kat11 said:

It's not bad at all. Tiny
    It's not bad at all. Tiny little blue dot's.

Tattoos
    I got 3 or 4 tattoos. lol I can't remember or even hardly see them. The tech did it so quickly that I just felt a tiny little prick. He didn't do it with a regular needle like we think of. It was just a little tiny thing. It really didn't hurt.

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>