My brother finally had a colonoscopy this week

Options
Patteee
Patteee Member Posts: 945
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was dx'd 20 months ago with stage 3B colon cancer. 2 days after I was dx'd my identical twin sister had a colonoscopy- it was totally clean. I have 3 other siblings who for some reason would not. Truly, I think it is denial to the core. Like they would look at me and not hear a fricken word I was saying- wish I had a buck for everytime my older sister told me, "but I have no symptoms..." and she would just look at me like she had rocks between her ears as I over and over and over again explained that DIDNT MATTER!!

My tumor was tested, and my cancer is not genetic- but there is a strong strong family history of colon cancer and polypops- my Dad had polypops and his sister had colon cancer. Then of course me.

My brother finally had one this week. They removed 2 polypops, one small and one large- he doesn't know the results yet. And I cry- out of relief and hope that his was caught in time and also tears of frustration- that even 18 months ago if he had had the colonoscopy then, that small polypops would have been removed.

My youngest sister, who is 50, is having one in March. My oldest sister, still hasn't had one and as far as I know is still in lala land with this.

And I cry. Because what I went through- the surgeries, the chemo from hell, and still the uncertainity of what tomorrow brings- that my experience should have SAVED them, they could have all avoided what I went through if they just had taken this seriously. Why do people do this?? Why isn't it enough of a wake up call to see your sibling with colon cancer and KNOWING you can avoid the same fate by having a colonoscopy?? WHY?

Comments

• robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Sheesh!
    What does it take!

I think all my siblings have now been scoped and found to be clear. I'm still working on my wife Pam though. Although we're not blood relatives (I don't think!!) we have been eating the same diet for 29 years!

I hope your Brother's polyps turn out to be benign.

Be well... Rob; in Vancouver
  • SandyL
    SandyL Member Posts: 218
    Options
    robinvan said:

Sheesh!
    What does it take!

I think all my siblings have now been scoped and found to be clear. I'm still working on my wife Pam though. Although we're not blood relatives (I don't think!!) we have been eating the same diet for 29 years!

I hope your Brother's polyps turn out to be benign.

Be well... Rob; in Vancouver

A shame to say
    but I think that if they don't know they don't have to treat or make decisions. Better off not knowing. So sad, isn't it? It's not that they don't take the cancer seriously that you are going thru it's just that maybe they aren't as strong willed as you are and prefer not to have to consider the what ifs. I know exactly what you are saying and feeling, tho Pattee. We do what we can do to convince them and the rest is really up to them.
    Sandy
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    Options
    SandyL said:

A shame to say
    but I think that if they don't know they don't have to treat or make decisions. Better off not knowing. So sad, isn't it? It's not that they don't take the cancer seriously that you are going thru it's just that maybe they aren't as strong willed as you are and prefer not to have to consider the what ifs. I know exactly what you are saying and feeling, tho Pattee. We do what we can do to convince them and the rest is really up to them.
    Sandy

I keep thinking what the
    I keep thinking what the original gastro doctor said, the one who did the colonoscopy. He knew immediately it was colon cancer- he talked in depth about the next step, seeing a colorectal surgeon- also said he was positive my siblings did or would have polypops and it was critical that they have colonoscopies. That I may very well have saved their lives. I remember thinking, "hey what about my life?? who is going to save it??" One out of four of my siblings took it seriously- my twin sister. My children will need to have their first colonoscopy by the age of 40, if not earlier. This family history of polypop development is a HUGE red warning flag and if they are removed when they are like pimples on the inside of the colon, it really is NOT an issue. That's why I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall for the past 20 months- a colonoscopy is a CRITICAL exam and it PREVENTS polypops from developing into cancer. MY SIBLINGS- along with a ton of others, can PREVENT colon cancer!!

*sigh*
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    IDK
    I don't understand it, either. We all know it's far from a pleasant process, but I'm pretty daggone sure it's easier than dying. Just don't give up. Keep spreading the word!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I know what you're going
    I know what you're going through.... really. I was only diagnosed 3 months ago, in November. After that, I crawled on my soapbox and still haven't gotten down. I am the eighth of nine kids. My dad died of cc, so I'm pretty passionate about getting colonoscopies before the recommended age of 50. (I was 46 when diagnosed with NO signs or symptoms that anything was wrong. Even I was late getting scoped. I should have went in a couple of years ago) I had three siblings who hadn't gotten scoped at the time of my diagnosis. One of them had been bleeding since July. Younger than me, I'm sure he was scared to in. I would be. I still have an older brother who hasn't. He says he's waiting for his 50th birthday so his insurance will pay. Now seriously, like you, after my surgery, my chemo I've started and what his father went through, why would you wait? I JUST DON'T GET IT!!

My seven siblings who've been checked have all had polyps removed. Some more than one. My youngest brother who was bleeding had hemorrhoids. During my scope, I had 3 polyps along with my tumor. They all have to go back in five years.

It's not a party getting a scope done, but it's a lot better than going through surgery, chemo and all that goes along with that.

I know they're testing my tumor for genetic type, and this will help my kids in the long run. But, they know they're all going to have get scoped in their 30's.
  • JR
    JR Member Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Getting screened
    I have two older sisters, ages 60 & 64 who have not been screened yet. I was dx November 2008, stage 4. I don,t get it. Do I have to die to get them to see the light. Actually, I think I will go ahead and live, I don't think they would get screened if I did die.

John
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    Options
    HollyID said:

I know what you're going
    I know what you're going through.... really. I was only diagnosed 3 months ago, in November. After that, I crawled on my soapbox and still haven't gotten down. I am the eighth of nine kids. My dad died of cc, so I'm pretty passionate about getting colonoscopies before the recommended age of 50. (I was 46 when diagnosed with NO signs or symptoms that anything was wrong. Even I was late getting scoped. I should have went in a couple of years ago) I had three siblings who hadn't gotten scoped at the time of my diagnosis. One of them had been bleeding since July. Younger than me, I'm sure he was scared to in. I would be. I still have an older brother who hasn't. He says he's waiting for his 50th birthday so his insurance will pay. Now seriously, like you, after my surgery, my chemo I've started and what his father went through, why would you wait? I JUST DON'T GET IT!!

My seven siblings who've been checked have all had polyps removed. Some more than one. My youngest brother who was bleeding had hemorrhoids. During my scope, I had 3 polyps along with my tumor. They all have to go back in five years.

It's not a party getting a scope done, but it's a lot better than going through surgery, chemo and all that goes along with that.

I know they're testing my tumor for genetic type, and this will help my kids in the long run. But, they know they're all going to have get scoped in their 30's.

Your brother's scope
    Your brother should be able to get his scope before 50 and have insurance cover it if there's a family history and his Primary care refers it. I'm only 40 and mine was covered, aside from the normsl co-insursnce.
  • HollyID
    Options
    P_I_T_A said:

Your brother's scope
    Your brother should be able to get his scope before 50 and have insurance cover it if there's a family history and his Primary care refers it. I'm only 40 and mine was covered, aside from the normsl co-insursnce.

Yep, told him that. My
    Yep, told him that. My insurance refused at first since I was under 50 and had no signs or symptoms of colon problems, but when they found out I had a family history, they were all over it and paid very well. I told his wife this, too, since she was the one that told me he was waiting for his birthday so insurance would cover it.

Honestly, I think it's his excuse to not get it done. He's still on my list -- and not the good one. :o)
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Colonoscopy
    Even though George is the one with cancer, 2 of my nieces have recently had colonoscopies. All good but they will never forgive Aunt Tina for not warning them properly about the prep, their husbands also went. I had a colonoscopy in November, the second one for me, and all was good except for one very tiny polyp. My personal physician wrote a note on the report that this was very tiny, not precancerous in any way, and I was not to worry and it was removed. She knew about George's diagnosis. My sister also recently got the all clear. The attorney I work along with his wife recently got colonoscopies, all good. My daughter just turned 33 and in discussing with her doctor, will get her first between age 35 and 38 and her insurance will cover it. I never give up reminding people to get the test. Tina
  • HollyID
    Options
    geotina said:

Colonoscopy
    Even though George is the one with cancer, 2 of my nieces have recently had colonoscopies. All good but they will never forgive Aunt Tina for not warning them properly about the prep, their husbands also went. I had a colonoscopy in November, the second one for me, and all was good except for one very tiny polyp. My personal physician wrote a note on the report that this was very tiny, not precancerous in any way, and I was not to worry and it was removed. She knew about George's diagnosis. My sister also recently got the all clear. The attorney I work along with his wife recently got colonoscopies, all good. My daughter just turned 33 and in discussing with her doctor, will get her first between age 35 and 38 and her insurance will cover it. I never give up reminding people to get the test. Tina

Tina...
    I have a feeling I'll be on my soapbox for the rest of my life too, urging people to get scoped.

I took my mother out to lunch today for her birthday and she told me that he still hasn't made an appointment. :o(

Yes, he's on my "not good" list.