lymphedema

Options
lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
18 months ago I had a bilateral mastectomy. My underarm on the right side has always retained fluid. But now, it seems to have increased greatly!! Any ideas about why it would flucuate so much? It is also a bit uncomfortable. Thanks, just starting to worry.

Comments

• margo54
    margo54 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    lymphedema
    Hi, well I am not an expert, but since I had my surgery I have done a lot of reading about lymphedema.
    From what I have read is that there is still alot that is unknown about this, but I do know that the swelling is the fluid that needs to go through the body. There are exercises to do this. Also there is a lymphedema web site to go to for information.
    The national lymphedema network, try going there you may find some info to help you.
    Let me know how things work out.
    Margo
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    margo54 said:

lymphedema
    Hi, well I am not an expert, but since I had my surgery I have done a lot of reading about lymphedema.
    From what I have read is that there is still alot that is unknown about this, but I do know that the swelling is the fluid that needs to go through the body. There are exercises to do this. Also there is a lymphedema web site to go to for information.
    The national lymphedema network, try going there you may find some info to help you.
    Let me know how things work out.
    Margo

lymphedema
    Thank you! I will try the website and hopefully find something to "get the fluid moving"!!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

lymphedema
    Thank you! I will try the website and hopefully find something to "get the fluid moving"!!

Sorry
    Get this checked out and taken care of soon. My docs tell me they can take care of lymphedema and the effects of it as long as you get to them early.

P
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    aztec45 said:

Sorry
    Get this checked out and taken care of soon. My docs tell me they can take care of lymphedema and the effects of it as long as you get to them early.

P

I am getting PT to increase
    I am getting PT to increase my general strength. Bit she also specialozes in lymphedema.I am sure there are people like that in you area. massage therapists etc.....
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options
    compression sleeve
    My pt told me to get a compression sleeve. I had to have a prescription from my dr. to get one.
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Options
    Lymphodema
    After I had my mastectomy in December of 2008, the first place my surgeon sent me was to the physical therapist. She taught me specific massage techniques that help to keep the lymph moving in the affected arm. I do these every time I get a shower, and so far I haven't had any problems. I also use my arm just the way I did before. The only thing I can't do is reach high. I did get a compression sleeve, but the only time I use it is when I'm flying.

I had a step-grandmother who had a mastectomy back in the early 60's. The doctors never helped her with any treatments for lymphodema, and she suffered so much. Her arm would swell to double it's size and become very infected. She was always having to take antibiotics. It was awful! So when I wound up having a mastectomy, I swore I'd do everything I could to avoid the problems she had. So far, so good. Please get some help soon. You don't want to have to deal with this. Connie
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

lymphedema

Lizzie
    Sorry for you lymphedema. We had post with similar question yesterday "arm swollen". Check it out, it has some useful info.http://csn.cancer.org/node/184667
    You do need to get help from lymphedema Therapist. Please do it as soon as you can
    New Flower