Feeling scared again!

Options
hamish1
hamish1 Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Wow! Just when I think I'm getting better at accepting this fight, here I am again crying! Hate these feelings. Just had my second chemo Wednesday. I'm half-way there now. Doing okay, no nausea, etc. But when I look at my breast and feel it (had a lumpectomy in Nov.2009) my entire breast is hard, and the nipple is still inverted. It wasn't inverted before the surgery.. I'm just scared the cancer has returned! When I asked my surgeon about it a month after surgery, he said it was scar tissue, and to not worry about it.I have to go back for my check-up with him Monday, and I'm going to ask him about it again. I guess that's why I'm feeling so scared today. What is he going to tell me? Has anyone else experienced this hardness and inverted nipple after a lumpectomy?

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    I had a lumpectomy last June
    I had a lumpectomy last June and mine feel the same way. I also was told scar tissue. I was also told that the feel of the breast can change again. I have lumps and bumps. I asked how I would ever tell if I were to get another lump ( cancer ). My doctor told me to learn my new breast. So all I can tell you is this is normal. Don't be surprised if you feel pain every now and again. Just when in dought, ask your doctor.
  • Angel_4_James
    Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Praying for you
    Hello hamish1,

I am so sorry you are feeling so scared. I had a lumpectomy in Oct. 2009, but I have not had any issuses with it like you have mentioned. It is okay to be concerned but do not let it consume you honey. Try to focues on things that make you happy and go see your docter and see what he has to say. I will be praying for you that God's peace consumes you. Keep us updated.

BIG HUGS,
    Angel
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Praying for you
    Hello hamish1,

I am so sorry you are feeling so scared. I had a lumpectomy in Oct. 2009, but I have not had any issuses with it like you have mentioned. It is okay to be concerned but do not let it consume you honey. Try to focues on things that make you happy and go see your docter and see what he has to say. I will be praying for you that God's peace consumes you. Keep us updated.

BIG HUGS,
    Angel

I had my lumpectomy in June
    I had my lumpectomy in June 2009 and was told by my surgeon not to touch it for 4 months. The tissue was moved around a lot in there and it needs to heal. My breast has changed shape a few times since June...both chemo and rads change the shape and feel of it. Talk to your doctor on Monday to set your mind as rest.
  • hamish1
    hamish1 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you Sweet
    Thank you, Thank you Sweet ladies for responding to my post. Makes me feel a lot better to know someone else experienced theses changes with the breast. My emotions seem to get the best of me somdays, and here comes that fear again.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    hamish1 said:

Thank you, Thank you Sweet
    Thank you, Thank you Sweet ladies for responding to my post. Makes me feel a lot better to know someone else experienced theses changes with the breast. My emotions seem to get the best of me somdays, and here comes that fear again.

It is understandable about
    It is understandable about your emotions. We all go thru it. But, I am sure you are fine. Just keep checking with your surgeon or oncologist about your breast. I know they will take good care of you.

Megan
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Fear in itself
    Dear Hamish,

you will be afraid many times throughout this I found but please try not
    to let the fear rule you. I am really learning to live in the now and not to
    let what maybe the outcome worry me so much. Of course I have my days
    but it helps to remind yourself that they will pass.

Talk to your doctor about your concern and until then don't let your
    imagination run away with you. At least not in this direction.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Fear in itself
    Dear Hamish,

you will be afraid many times throughout this I found but please try not
    to let the fear rule you. I am really learning to live in the now and not to
    let what maybe the outcome worry me so much. Of course I have my days
    but it helps to remind yourself that they will pass.

Talk to your doctor about your concern and until then don't let your
    imagination run away with you. At least not in this direction.

Hugs,
    Ayse

I forgot to comment on your
    I forgot to comment on your crying...with me it was a reaction to the chemo and all the other drugs. I had chemo every 2 weeks on a Wed. by the following Sun. I cried all day so I just went with it and planned on Sundays being my cry day, by Monday I was better. As a friend told me we can deal with anything as long as we know what the rules are.

Hope you're feeling better today.
    Sher
  • jbryant
    jbryant Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I just had a lumpectomy last
    I just had a lumpectomy last Friday. My doctor did not put in drainage tubes. She said that the empty spot will fill in with fluid, then with scar tissue. She said this will prevent an indent. I too am worried about an inverted nipple and dimpled skin.

Did you have a drainage tube?