New Hair

Options
rjjj
rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi sisters, I read a post a few days ago here and a few here said your hair may turn a different color then intended if you try to color it soon. I finished regular chemo about 7 months ago and just had my last Herceptin treatment.. wondering if it's still to soon?? Also wondering how O'Hilly's hair ever turned Out??? Haven't heard from her for awhile.
BTW Moopy's looks great as a red Head!!!

BTW ,I am finally going back to work this evening just got my work release...my hands are healed. Yeah!!

I hope you all havea great weekend.
jackie

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Hair coloring.......
    I finished chemo the end of August.......I now have a headful of CURLS!!!!! It is actually comical......just tiny little "spit" curls, all over......and so easy to care for......feels like baby hair........mine came back in silver with some dark but A LOT of silver on the top and sides, with the back being very dark, my natural color.....I colored mine and it did just fine.....about 4 weeks ago....it's fine...never heard of hair coloring coming out a different color........if it does, just color it again or have it done......
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Happy Dancing for Jackie!
    Yea!!!!!!!! So glad your hands are healed! And thanks for the compliment, Montana sister.

As far as coloring, my friend and stylist's only requirement was that my hair had to be a certain length (maybe a quarter-inch? don't remember)before she could color it. The color did not change afterwards. I say go for it. And don't forget to post your pic.

Looking forward to seeing your new 'do!

Love,
    Moops
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    hair a different color.
    Hi,I am the one that my hair came out a differnt color.I died it brown with a hint of red.the first time it didnt do anything.The second time I left it on a little longer.It is now a ugly yellow.Their is worst then gray.I am thinking about waiting a few weeks and going to have it done.by then it will be a little longer.I used a dye that did not have peroxide or amonia in it.I was told these chemicals are two hard on our hair after Chemo.If anything weird is going to happen it will be to me.ha.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    ppurdin said:

hair a different color.
    Hi,I am the one that my hair came out a differnt color.I died it brown with a hint of red.the first time it didnt do anything.The second time I left it on a little longer.It is now a ugly yellow.Their is worst then gray.I am thinking about waiting a few weeks and going to have it done.by then it will be a little longer.I used a dye that did not have peroxide or amonia in it.I was told these chemicals are two hard on our hair after Chemo.If anything weird is going to happen it will be to me.ha.

ppurdin
    Walgreens sells a product ( I forgot the name ) but its for removing hair color. It's for just this when there is a mistake. Good luck
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

ppurdin
    Walgreens sells a product ( I forgot the name ) but its for removing hair color. It's for just this when there is a mistake. Good luck

Ok -- Ladies .. I finished chemo on 12/15 ... Heception 1 time
    every 21 days for 6 months .. When do I get new hair growth ??"? .....

VickiSam
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    my hair
    Hey, Jackie - thanks for asking about my hair. I still have the thin spots, and I think my hair will never go back to what it was. I use a 'concealer' over the thin spots called Hair So Real (you sprinkle it on) and have a really expensive hair cut which pretty much disguises the whole thing also.

I have learned to put it into perspective, and also people tell me I look good...but I must admit that I still feel sad when I look at other women's thick hair, and I get frustrated reading all the stories where everyone else's hair grows back the same. Is there anyone else out there whose hair did grow back, but thinner like mine? If there is, it would comfort me to hear from you.

Ohilly
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Hair
    I think my hair started coming back maybe a couple of weeks after I ended my Cytoxan and Taxotere. It has been a month and my bald head is now covered with soft curly grey hair. A girl at work wants to punk it out for me. For now, I don't think I will color it for awhile even though it is grey. I think I will wear it for awhile like my badge of courage; like the sign Moses went to the Mountain. I still wear a cap because my head gets cold, but come spring, I will unveil my grey curls to the world.

It does grow back.

P
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    ohilly said:

my hair
    Hey, Jackie - thanks for asking about my hair. I still have the thin spots, and I think my hair will never go back to what it was. I use a 'concealer' over the thin spots called Hair So Real (you sprinkle it on) and have a really expensive hair cut which pretty much disguises the whole thing also.

I have learned to put it into perspective, and also people tell me I look good...but I must admit that I still feel sad when I look at other women's thick hair, and I get frustrated reading all the stories where everyone else's hair grows back the same. Is there anyone else out there whose hair did grow back, but thinner like mine? If there is, it would comfort me to hear from you.

Ohilly

New hair.
    Ohilly.it has been since Oct. my last chemo and my hair is about two in. long.And like you I keep hearing where hair has come in curley and pretty color.I am glad for them.But darn I couldn,t be that lucky.Mine is still bald in spots and longer in others.It was a gray speckled not pretty color.I tryed dying it and it is now a ugly yellow.I think I will leave it alone for a few weeks and go get it colored.It has to get better.I feel so ugly right now.I look at pictures and I had pretty thick styled hair.Like you I just had that thought today.will my hair ever be the same?I know I am lucky they got my Cancer early.And I trully am gratful for that.But I hope one day I will look in the mirror and smile when looking at my hair.Good luck to you.And know that you are not alone. Pat.
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    ppurdin said:

New hair.
    Ohilly.it has been since Oct. my last chemo and my hair is about two in. long.And like you I keep hearing where hair has come in curley and pretty color.I am glad for them.But darn I couldn,t be that lucky.Mine is still bald in spots and longer in others.It was a gray speckled not pretty color.I tryed dying it and it is now a ugly yellow.I think I will leave it alone for a few weeks and go get it colored.It has to get better.I feel so ugly right now.I look at pictures and I had pretty thick styled hair.Like you I just had that thought today.will my hair ever be the same?I know I am lucky they got my Cancer early.And I trully am gratful for that.But I hope one day I will look in the mirror and smile when looking at my hair.Good luck to you.And know that you are not alone. Pat.

thanks for responding
    Pat, I hope you have better luck than I did! My chemo was over June of 2008, and I am pretty much stuck with thin spots on the top of my head that have to be disguised. My advice is to spend a lot of money to go to a good hairdresser and use a camouflager such as Toppik (www.toppik.com) which you sprinkle on top of your head to cover the thin spots, there is another one that's cheaper and better called HairSoReal that you can google on the internet. Don't waste your time with dermatologists: they will tell you to use Rogaine, which has horrible side effects and you have to use the rest of your life.

(I should post some photos so you can see what I've done with my hair - most people say it looks good!).

Ohilly
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Good News!
    Dear Jackie - I'm so glad your hands have healed, and that you can return to work (because I know how much those folks you care for mean to you!). This is awesome news!!!

Can't really help ya with the hair color question... Was 46 when chemo/rads were completed. Began to color my hair (just to cover the grey) at 50 - several years later.

Kindest regards, Susan