Vitamin supplements and rising CA125

Bailey37
Bailey37 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi, I am wondering if any of you have encountered this situation and can help me.

A week ago I began taking natural vitamin supplements: Vitamin D, garlic, coQ10, megavitamin, Omega/fish oil, green tea and melatonin. My CA125 results came back rising from 14 to 55. I am 2 months off of chemo.

Any chance the supplements caused a false positive to the CA125?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bailey

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Have not heard of it
    I take lots of supplements. I have not heard of them causing a rise in the CA-125. I take a multivit-mineral, Calcium, fish oil, L-lutein, Juice Plus, Vit. B-complex, L-glutamine, and Energizing Iron daily.
    I usually look at two rises in the CA-125. Early on, any little jump put me in alert status, but I find now after almost 3 years that I take it more in stride. I do believe infection or inflamation will make it jump.

Take a deep breath. You might be coming down with something that just hasn't shown itself yet like a bladder infection...and on and on.

(((HUGS))) Saundra
  • Bailey37
    Bailey37 Member Posts: 8
    saundra said:

Have not heard of it
    I take lots of supplements. I have not heard of them causing a rise in the CA-125. I take a multivit-mineral, Calcium, fish oil, L-lutein, Juice Plus, Vit. B-complex, L-glutamine, and Energizing Iron daily.
    I usually look at two rises in the CA-125. Early on, any little jump put me in alert status, but I find now after almost 3 years that I take it more in stride. I do believe infection or inflamation will make it jump.

Take a deep breath. You might be coming down with something that just hasn't shown itself yet like a bladder infection...and on and on.

(((HUGS))) Saundra

Vitamin supplements and rising CA125
    Saundra,
    Thank you so much for your reassurance and hugs!
    I am trying to be positive and not let this one number interfere with the rest of my life, but that is so difficult.
    This board is new to me, and I am finding a lot of solace with the wonderful people on here.
    Thank you again,
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Trends
    Bailey...

My Gyn/Onc looks for trends, rather than a spike in a single test result. My CA125 went up 200 points after my first treatment. I was upset.......thinking that the chemo was supposed to make the number go DOWN. My doctor said it was nothing to worry about. At the time I had an open incision (re-opened, actually) and he said that was likely the culprit. Sure enough, the next test showed an almost 90% drop - from 2400 to 253.

I take a multi-vitamin with iron, as advised by my Gyn/Onc, because I have hemaglobin issues. I also give myself Vitamin B12 injections every two weeks. (I have pernicious anemia, which was diagnosed way before the Cancer.) Other than thyroid meds and two stool softeners, that's all I take. I am not a good pill-taker and would be loathe to add anything unless I really had to. I have taken to eating a ton of fruit so I don't have to take the Miralax. It yields the same results and I think it's probably much better for me.
  • uju99
    uju99 Member Posts: 13
    Rising CA-125 and VitaminD and D3
    Hello
    I've been diagnosed as OVC back in SEp 09
    Stage IV.

I started CA-125 with 7000 and it rose to 23000 during the tretmetn.

6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol
    1 major laproscopic surgery
    Overy, FT, UTS all removed.

Back in March 2010, I was left as Remission with CA-125 coming to 17.

In May 2010 - I started taking Vitamin D and D3
    Vitamin D - 50,000 ICU once in a week
    and
    Vitamin D3 - 1000 ICU everyday

Just few days ago, I checked my CA-125 and it is 400.

Very, very surprised......I Have an appointment and re-blood-draw this coming Friday.
    I'm worried and scared.....

Any valuable information will be highly appreciated....

Thanks
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    uju99 said:

Hello
    Stage IV.

6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol

and

Very, very surprised......I Have an appointment and re-blood-draw this coming Friday.

Thanks

Hi uju99,
    I try not to focus

Hi uju99,

I try not to focus too much on ca-125 readings all the time. It is easier said than done.

Another way you could be assured that the cancer is not necessarily coming back is by having regular cat-scan or pet-scans if you are able to; this way you and the doctor could actually see if something by way of cancer is definitely happening.

If they do not show any activity, this might be able to put your mind at ease a bit more.

Praying for you to take it easy,

Sharon
  • grateful1
    grateful1 Member Posts: 80 Member
    ca125
    I am glad it is a false positive. I guess I'd drop the supplements and see.

I lived on lycopene (in watermelon and tomato sauce) round the clock and my sarcoma went to benign--and my ca125 went from a 2000 down to normal. I guess supplements can effect things--but I don't know how and am no authority.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    uju99 said:

Hello
    Stage IV.

6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol

and

Thanks

You had laproscopic surgery?
    You had laproscopic surgery? No de-bulking? That's interesting.

I take a multi-vitamin with iron every day, plus a D and B complex pill - something my husband makes me take because he read somewhere that it is good for cancer patients. And I give myself B12 shots every month because I have pernicious anemia.

I was diagnosed the same month as you (Sept 09) and had 6 rounds of carbo/taxol. My CA125 pre-surgery was 4000. Now it hangs out between 6 and 7. I had a CT scan in March that showed NED (no evidence of disease).

Truthfully, I don't think the vitamins have caused the increase in your CA 125.

Carlene