Braca 2 test/family genes

girls4444
girls4444 Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just got my gene test back yesterday and I have the gene, I will complete my chemo in 10 weeks and had not decided if I was doing a lumpectomy or a mastectomy, I have been doing chemo to shrink three tumors, I am now thinking that I will have a mastectomy because I don't want to take a chance of getting breast cancer again. Has anyone else made this decision based on the braca test?
thanks betty

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    I didn't take the Braca test
    I didn't take the Braca test as I heard that sometimes insurance companies can use it against you and I didn't want to take the chance. I don't have children yet, so, I was in no hurry to take it. I also had a lumpectomy as the chance of a recurrence and life expectancy is the same with a mastectomy as it is with a lumpectomy and rads. I didn't want to lose my breast, and, the lumpectomy is what was recommended for my treatment. Good luck to you!

Lex♥
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Alexis F said:

I didn't take the Braca test
    I didn't take the Braca test as I heard that sometimes insurance companies can use it against you and I didn't want to take the chance. I don't have children yet, so, I was in no hurry to take it. I also had a lumpectomy as the chance of a recurrence and life expectancy is the same with a mastectomy as it is with a lumpectomy and rads. I didn't want to lose my breast, and, the lumpectomy is what was recommended for my treatment. Good luck to you!

Lex♥

Genes
    Hi Betty:

I was diagnosed in May 2009 (age 49) and after going through lumpectomy and chemo., I decided on a double mastectomy. While I tested negative for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation, nearly every woman on my Mom's side of the family has had BC or ovarian ca, so there appears to be a genetic link. I didn't want to go through treatments again if I had a local recurrence. I am happy with my decision and may consider reconstruction at a later date. Best of luck with your decision and treatments. Jane
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    BunnyJane said:

Genes
    Hi Betty:

I was diagnosed in May 2009 (age 49) and after going through lumpectomy and chemo., I decided on a double mastectomy. While I tested negative for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation, nearly every woman on my Mom's side of the family has had BC or ovarian ca, so there appears to be a genetic link. I didn't want to go through treatments again if I had a local recurrence. I am happy with my decision and may consider reconstruction at a later date. Best of luck with your decision and treatments. Jane

I tested neg but feel I must
    I tested neg but feel I must have some kind of gene to be diagnosed again. and my first time at 34. I wish I had gotten rid of the breast then (both) or I would not be going through this now and this diagnosis is more advanced than my first. despite close monitoring. Anyway Christina App;egate did it.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    BRACA Test
    Hi Betty,

I have a similar situation to the poster above. I am 39 and was diagnosed in August. I tested negative for the BRAC1 and 2 genes but have strong family history and my mother died of BC in November. I could have chosen lumpectomy and radiation, but have chosen to have a bi-lateral prophylatic masectomy. It was a difficult decision and there are days that I wonder if I'm doing the right thing (surgery is Feb 25) ... but deep down in my heart I know it is the right decision for me. And that is the bottom line ... you have to do what feels right for you. If you pray, pray, read, talk to other women, be as informed as you can and choose what feels right to you.

Praying that you will have wisdom,
    dh
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86

BRACA Test
    Hi Betty,

I have a similar situation to the poster above. I am 39 and was diagnosed in August. I tested negative for the BRAC1 and 2 genes but have strong family history and my mother died of BC in November. I could have chosen lumpectomy and radiation, but have chosen to have a bi-lateral prophylatic masectomy. It was a difficult decision and there are days that I wonder if I'm doing the right thing (surgery is Feb 25) ... but deep down in my heart I know it is the right decision for me. And that is the bottom line ... you have to do what feels right for you. If you pray, pray, read, talk to other women, be as informed as you can and choose what feels right to you.

Praying that you will have wisdom,
    dh

Gene Carrier Too
    I carry the gene as well. I was tested in June 2008. Both my Grandma and Aunt went through BC twice. Eventually my Grandma passed away during her second battle. My aunt is a 16 year survivor! Looking at both of them and seeing the results of the tests I choose to have the bi-latteral. I also had the ovaries removed and had a hyst about 7 years ago. I just turned 43. At first I was uncomfortable with the bi-lateral surgery but after doing some research and asking the doc a ton of questions I realized that I was taking a proactive step in helping my battle with BC. To top it off I am a triple negative receptor to boot. I had a DIEP flap procedure last January and I have to say my surgeon did a wonderful job. If you didn't know what I went through you would never be able to tell the difference. It is a very personal and difficult choice to make, if you are still uncomfortable with it speak to the doctor about your concerns and ask as many questions as you can. I found that talking to my oncologist made my decision feel like the right thing to do. I wish you peace and comfort while you are sorting out your thoughts.
    Tracey