swelling after lumpectomy

terri805
terri805 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone experienced swelling and some redness in their breast after having a lumpectomy for DCIS? And if so do you know of anything that would help? I have tried everything but tying it up and throwing it over my shoulder. The dr said that it was lymphatic fluid gathering at the bottom of my breast due to the surgery. I am large busted and the gravity pulls it down. He said since things were disturbed during surgery it would take a little time to go down and just wear a good supporting bra which I have been doing but nothing has changed. Do I just have to wait it out maybe? It is not painful just worrisome. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    No, I didn't have this
    No, I didn't have this Terri. I think your doctor is probably right. Just give it some time. Sometimes it takes a year or more for our bodies to even heal from the surgery. I know this isn't much advice, but, all I know. Be sure and call your surgeon if it should become worse.

KYLEZ ♥
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Kylez said:

No, I didn't have this
    No, I didn't have this Terri. I think your doctor is probably right. Just give it some time. Sometimes it takes a year or more for our bodies to even heal from the surgery. I know this isn't much advice, but, all I know. Be sure and call your surgeon if it should become worse.

KYLEZ ♥

How long has it been since
    How long has it been since your surgery? If it hasn't been that long, it will probably go away. Keep wearing the bra like your surgeon said. Hope it gets better.

Sue :)
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Ritzy said:

How long has it been since
    How long has it been since your surgery? If it hasn't been that long, it will probably go away. Keep wearing the bra like your surgeon said. Hope it gets better.

Sue :)

Last year I had a lumpectomy
    Last year I had a lumpectomy where the doctor took about 1/3 of my breast but for the first couple months, after surgery, I didn't think that she had taken much at all because it was so swollen. Then, it went down and everything was fine. Hope yours goes down soon.

Joyce