Histologic Grade

lrbrister
lrbrister Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Last February my wife was diagnosed with a "Poorly differentiated Invasive Ductal Carcinoma measuring 1.5 CM in largest dimension with a Nottingham Grade 3 (3+3+3=)

At surgery the lump was removed and actually measured 3.25 at largest and 18 lymph nodes under her arm were removed with 14 positive

We have an awesome Oncologist and he stated he would give us all the "numbers" but related that he would do his best and for my wife to do her best and we would go from there.

There were 8 Chemo treatments and 33 Radiation sessions

She goes next month for her PET Scan.

I need to know how this relates to the Level III (a,b,c)

There's a lot of information out there but I need to know what her chances are 5,10.15 years out.

We've been married 38 years on our way to forever and I really need to prepare myself.
To this day...even when alone, when she walks in the room my heart jumps in my chest...that's what she means to me...

And it was a blessing to be able to care for her during the treatments since I work from home.

Her loving husband,
lrbrister

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I was stage 3 grade 3 also.
    I was stage 3 grade 3 also. My tumors were 6cm and 3cm and a smaller one. The surgeon wouldn't give me my odds. He said I could be on the good side of the odds. I looked it up online and asked my onc if this were true. He said "Pretty much." So after treatment we made some life changes. I was diagnosed in 2003. I also had 2 out of 15 nodes involved but I had 4 cycles of chemo before surgery so it could have been more. I had 4 cycles of chemo after surgery and 6 weeks of radiation.

I would ask the onc what the chances are. BTW I've been married 39 years.
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    The recommended books are
    The recommended books are excellent. "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book" is especially helpful in explaining what the tests and their results mean.

You also need other info that factors into recurrence and future risk, such as hormone-receptor statuses. Is your wife estrogen-receptor (ER) positive or negative? Progesterone-receptor (PgR) positive or negative? HER-2 positive or negative? Those can have a significant impact on future risk as well as treatment. You also don't mention whether she is receiving any other treatment, such as Tamoxifen. This is related to the hormone-receptor statuses; only women who are ER+ or PgR+ will be given Tamoxifen, as it can help suppress the hormones that stimulate the cancer growth when the cancer is ER+ or PgR+. As you learn more about these, you'll be able to ask questions that are more pertinent to the info you're seeking. Armed with that info, you can, if you wish, go back to your wife's oncologist and request that he/she use adjuvantonline dot com to calculate her risks--make sure she wants this, too--and have the dr. explain what the results mean.

To anyone, whether facing the possibility of cancer recurrence or just living life, I suggest that they remember to express their love to their loved ones daily and to try to make every day a wonderful day. None of us ever knows what the future holds. Rather than worrying, make the best of each day you have together. Your love is what's important to your wife, and I hope you will be able to keep your fear for her from impacting your love negatively. I hope none of my words will cause you offense or pain; I mean only to encourage you to focus your love for your wife in a positive way.

My heart goes out to you as you try to learn how to deal with an uncertain future.

Sandy
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Welcome
    to this site. Although I'm very sorry for the reason you have to be here, you are very lucky to have found this site, and your wife sounds very lucky to have you by her side as she goes on this challenging journey.

My diagnosis was different from your wife's but Marcia has already given you some good specifics, and I'm sure you will hear from more people that can answer more specific questions.

If you and/or your wife want to read some books to help you learn more about BC in general, there are a few that have been recommended by many on this board:

The Breast Book by Dr. Susan Love
    The Breast Cancer Survival Guide by Dr. John Link (I have this one and found it very helpful)
    Breast Cancer Husband: How to Help Your Wife (and Yourself) during Diagnosis, Treatment and Beyond by Marc Silver

Please continue to post with any questions or concerns you may have. There is always someone around who will listen/read.

Take care,
    Cindy