Expander questions

mlmjt1
mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a question for all of you ladies who have had expanders. My original mastectomies were in may 2009 and due to surgical complications, I had to have the right expander removed. I finished chemo in october and just had the right expander replaced on the 4th of january. My right breast area is pretty scarred. My left isnt bad. Does the actual needle stick hurt when they add the saline??? Also how much discomfort did you feel after the saline was added? Did you need any pain meds?? Also, I am a runner and want to start back up again in the spring as soon as there is no ice on the pavement in wisconsin. Would running be uncomfortable with the filled expanders in?

Thanks for the advice

LInda T

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Linda
    First, about feeling the needle which is a very small needle--sometimes I felt it but most of the time I did not. I took 2 Tylenol before I went the first few times then didn't take anything.

Second, I don't know about the running but I can tell you that they do not bounce. I was in a golf cart this summer and went over a few bumps and never bothered me.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950

Linda
    First, about feeling the needle which is a very small needle--sometimes I felt it but most of the time I did not. I took 2 Tylenol before I went the first few times then didn't take anything.

Second, I don't know about the running but I can tell you that they do not bounce. I was in a golf cart this summer and went over a few bumps and never bothered me.

Hugs,
    Margo

Yeah the stick is like the
    Yeah the stick is like the stick in your port if you have one. No big deal. I had trouble with pain from the expander only after radiation when the muscle contracted.Sometimes now if I roll over in my sleep it feels like a 5 lb weight pulling on my chest....ouch!I have 700 cc's in mine now though...so as they add saline, you may experience more discomfort.
  • tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44
    dyaneb123 said:

Yeah the stick is like the
    Yeah the stick is like the stick in your port if you have one. No big deal. I had trouble with pain from the expander only after radiation when the muscle contracted.Sometimes now if I roll over in my sleep it feels like a 5 lb weight pulling on my chest....ouch!I have 700 cc's in mine now though...so as they add saline, you may experience more discomfort.

when my mastectomy was done,
    when my mastectomy was done, nerves were cut and I'm totally numb so I never felt anything when my injections were done. I'd always brace for it when I saw the needle coming toward me, but honestly never felt a thing! And yes, the needle is very small.
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    tigger99 said:

when my mastectomy was done,
    when my mastectomy was done, nerves were cut and I'm totally numb so I never felt anything when my injections were done. I'd always brace for it when I saw the needle coming toward me, but honestly never felt a thing! And yes, the needle is very small.

Breathing again
    Holding my breath while I read these because I was due to have the first expansion today. Glad to hear it's not too bad. Appointment was switched to Wed. because my drain needs to stay in another couple of days.

Love the openness on this board!
    Marcy
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    i had no pain at all. not
    i had no pain at all. not even a pinch... I had my fills starting 1 week after the mastectomy so my chest was so numb.. I finished filling 6 weeks later... I really didn't start getting feeling in my chest for about 5 months.. I wouldn't even feel them access my port a cath in the begining
  • AmandaMarie29
    AmandaMarie29 Member Posts: 55
    HI Linda I actually just got
    HI Linda I actually just got home from my first expander fill today! I took 2 motrin before I went and it seems to help. When the needle goes in you don't feel it at all.(that's what I was afraid of) I had 100cc put in each breast and it wasn't that bad. It just feels like pressure and my muscle is sore a bit. It's actually just more of an annoying feeling than anything. My doctor told me to only take motrin, not pain pills. He said that if you were having a real problem the pain pills wouldn't allow you to feel it. But you don't need them anyways...Piece of Cake!

Take Care
    Mandi
  • Mtnhottie
    Mtnhottie Member Posts: 5
    Expanders
    Hey Linda T - I had my double mastectomy Oct 21 and they placed the expanders in at that time (with 50cc each). I went back to the plastic surgeon every week afterwards for 5 weeks until I started my chemo. I now go on the 2nd week after chemo; they have placed about 30cc in each one each visit. I am happy with the results because I am bigger in size than I was before surgery. I am numb in my breast area so I do not feel the needle at all. I actually took a picture of the syringe because I was amazed at the size of it (my husband said it looked like it used for livestock!). I feel pressue in my chest and back area after the injection but it is just uncomfortable - not painful. I take a couple of Tylenol before I head in for the injection. I am a runner/walker also and I am good to go. I have more trouble at night sleeping on my side. These expanders don't move a bit; they feel like and old man's wallet in my chest!! They are also hard as rock - when I bump in to something, I just laugh because one I don't feel it and two I'm afraid I did more damage to the item (rear view mirror of my husband's truck) than myself. I finish up chemo end of March and then I am going to schedule my exchange surgery for the first week in June. I am really looking forward to having "softer" boobs!!
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Your Expanders
    The needle felt like a prick. While you are filling up, no feeling - you do not feel it filling up. As you continue to expand, your stretched skin could become sensitive to the expansion and you may experience some discomfort or pain. I think it depends on scar tissue within the breast. I don't believe that running would be uncomfortable. Try it. I never ran but I did walk 1 hour per day. When I walked I felt a nice pressure or sensation from the expanders - nothing unpleasant - something like a slight heaviness. Any serious pain or discomfort, immediately tell your plastic surgeon. He can then tell you if it is normal or not normal to feel what you are feeling.
  • bgant
    bgant Member Posts: 10
    xpand
    Im so glad i read this post because i will be going through the same thing come feb 17th. i was scared of the pain from filling. thanx all for the advice
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    My surgery was Dec 5th, but
    My surgery was Dec 5th, but due to a healing issue I did not get my first fill until Jan 12th. I didn't take advil or any type of pain reliever before going and felt a slight pinch in the left side when the needle went in and nothing on the right side. Next time I go for a fill I will take something beforehand but it really isn't necessary.