leesag

cancer survivor x 4
cancer survivor x 4 Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Good Morning,
I have been trying to talk to you for a couple of days, but I am so busy studying for nursing prep review classes, I can't find the time to get on the computer to say much. Are you going to Mercy Hospital? I am pretty sure that Dr. Dwight Um is the doctor that checked on me during rounds every morning, because Dr. Rosenshien is in surgery 24/7. I wanted to answer a couple of questions for you. The book they give you from Mercy Hospital says "you should be out of the hospital in 3-5 days". I was there 11. I have a friend that was there 11 and another that was there 14 days. I do know 1 person that got out in 3. We all had the same surgery. The surgery seems to sometimes present slight complications a few days afterwards, but nothing that can not be healed or fixed. I also have my bedroom on the second floor of the house. I knew when I came home and looked at those stairs, that I would not be able to make it to the bathroom in time. I stayed on the sofa and my husband got a portable potty to put beside me. When I did go upstairs, I stayed there. Don't worry about your CA-125 number right now. That is a number that will come into play later, after surgery and during chemo. I will tell you that I walked out of Mercy Hospital with a CA-125 of 10. That was after surgery. I was staged a 2B. I did have a pelvic extension spot, bit it was negetive. I was symptomatic early on. That was in May of 2009. When I think about it, I was probably symptomatic since January of 2009. I did take 6 rounds of chemo, Carbo/Taxol. I am fine now. My hair is growing back, my Ca-125 is 6 and I am currently trying to study for my surgical nursing exam. I have another friend who is a teacher and she worked right through her chemo. I do get tired very fast and do try and take a nap everyday, if I can. If you have anymore questions, just let me know. Love you, Paula

Comments

• leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    :)
    Hi Paula!

So nice to talk to someone from around here! Yes, Dwight Im is my doc, he's based out of Mercy but has privileges at St. Agnes, which is very close to my home, so that's going to my base of operations! My husband is also a nurse, so I'm familiar with how much studying is required! I'm sure you'll do fantastic!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. That CA125 sure threw me for a loop, but I've gotten past that hurdle, now (I think). Hearing that your friend continued teaching through chemo has totally lifted my spirits! I think, based on the fact that the bathroom is downstairs and the bedroom is upstairs, we've decided on a bed in the living room for the time being. I think I'm going to make him put it somewhere that I can't see the television from it though, so I DEFINITELY can't lay around all day being lazy! ;)

As for the surgery, Dr. Im is wonderful and very confident, so we're going in expecting the best but also understanding that there are unforeseen complications. Thank goodness most hospitals these days have WiFi access!

Thanks Paula!

Love ya! Leesa