Official Diagosis

leesag
leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I met my GynOnc today. He greeted me with a hug! It's officially ovarian cancer that has spread to the peritoneal wall. He assured me that he and I would be having a long term relationship. I'm scheduled for surgery either 2/3 or 2/10 and will know more about staging then. I'm a little freaked about my CA125 markers. Has anyone ever heard of one as high as 9824?

Staying strong and keeping the faith here. Xanax is my friend :)

Leesa

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    the bright side!
    So sorry to hear of your official diagnosis. On the bright side...if the cancer is contained to the pelvic area that would be good news! Another thing...that ca125 is really high. That is not an indicator of the severity of the disease. It is how your body responses to it. The ca125 will be a good marker for you. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. If you had no bowel issues you are in luck!
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    CA125
    Mine was 4,000 before surgery and 2,200 afterward. I have "talked" (via the Internet) to one woman whose CA125 was 13,000.

I had a bowel obstruction and that elevated my number. You may have some as yet unknown stuff going on that shot yours up, as well.

Even so, don't despair. After two sessions of Carbo/Taxol, my CA125 went down by 90%, and last week, it was 19.

Carlene
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Leesa,
    I'm so sorry we have to welcome you to this ever growing community. There are some very knowledgable, and caring women. Come often, keep us updated, and ask lot's of questions.
    Waiting for the surgery will be hard, stay strong!! There are some gals on here that had/have high numbers. Sometimes it can indicate some ascites, although some just have higher numbers, it seems.
    Hugs,
    Kathleen:)
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Hugs
    Dear Leesa,

Sorry it ended up being ovarian cancer, (((HUGS)))

My ca125 was 10000 b4 surgery, but the ca125 number doesnt' determine where the cancer or really how much cancer you have so try not to focus on the number. Let us know once you know the date of surgery for you can count on many many teal warriors lifting you in prayer during the surgery. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • leesag
    kayandok said:

Leesa,
    I'm so sorry we have to welcome you to this ever growing community. There are some very knowledgable, and caring women. Come often, keep us updated, and ask lot's of questions.
    Waiting for the surgery will be hard, stay strong!! There are some gals on here that had/have high numbers. Sometimes it can indicate some ascites, although some just have higher numbers, it seems.
    Hugs,
    Kathleen:)

Thank you ladies! I do have
    Thank you ladies! I do have a large amount of ascites--which was the first indication that something was wrong! Oddly enough, I find myself in the position right now of worrying more about my husband and my daughter than about me. My husband hasn't been able to sit still since my diagnosis. My house is going to be clean enough for a visit from the President soon!

I do have a post surgical question, my bedroom is on the second floor and the bathroom, kitchen etc is on the first floor. My husband was wondering about renting a bed or something to keep on the first floor for a while. How long would this be necessary? I really love my heated water bed!

On an ironic note--I had to laugh this morning: I started my period today! God does have a sense of humor ;)

Leesa
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    prayer
    Sorry Leesa, but here you will be encouraged and we will keep you in prayer.

I can't remember who, but someone on this board had a CA125 of 14,000. Mine was 1,799 and was staged at 3C January 28, 2010. I have a friend who had Ovarian Cancer and her CA125 never went ABOVE normal - go figure!!

We are all made so different (wonderfully made that is!!) God knitted us in our mother's womb to be exactly what we are - beautiful and wonderful!!

Keeping the Faith is something no one can take from us!

Living for Eternity,
    Libby
  • seably
    seably Member Posts: 29
    leesag said:

Thank you ladies! I do have a large amount of ascites--which was the first indication that something was wrong! Oddly enough, I find myself in the position right now of worrying more about my husband and my daughter than about me. My husband hasn't been able to sit still since my diagnosis. My house is going to be clean enough for a visit from the President soon!

I do have a post surgical question, my bedroom is on the second floor and the bathroom, kitchen etc is on the first floor. My husband was wondering about renting a bed or something to keep on the first floor for a while. How long would this be necessary? I really love my heated water bed!

On an ironic note--I had to laugh this morning: I started my period today! God does have a sense of humor ;)

Leesa

Get the Bed!
    Hi Leesa,

Sorry to meet you here. As the ladies have stated, you will be able to find answers here as these women know their stuff.

I did get a hospital bed for my return from the hospital. I'm 50 and fairly strong but the surgery can be tough and I had the added complication of my abdomen wound not healing. I actually turned my den into my own room with the hospital bed and handicap potty right next to it. It made my middle of the night trips to the "bathroom" much easier.

My insurance is really crappy and did not cover these expenses. I was able to get the bed for $175/month & the surgical supply place set it up and took it apart when I was done. For me it was money well spent. I was able to sleep much better with my back raised and of course it was great for watching TV.

One other thing...my partner was able to sleep better too...no worries of rolling over and hitting any sore spots.

PS - my CA 125 was 2706 prior to surgery in April 2009. Today it is 8.3. Just saw my doctor on Friday 1-15-10. This is after completing 6 rounds of IV/IP taxol/cisplatin. I also had ascites (3 liters removed during surgery), so you know it can and does get better!

Keep the Faith
    Stacey
  • leesag
    Pet Scan is in the works. I
    Pet Scan is in the works. I called my best friend and told her that apparently the Cat they used wasn't sensitive enough so now they're calling in guinea pigs, hamsters and goldfish! As I continue to post on this board, you will find that I have an odd sense of humor that keeps me going!

My husband noticed that I winced once or twice this morning, and was concerned about pain. When he suggested I call my doctor, I suggested he get the midol from the bathroom cabinet (one final time!).

It's been a day for weirdness. After talking to my sister about the surgery (she has been absolutely wonderful through all of this btw), I must confess, I took a smidge of pleasure in telling her that the doc said my tummy would be flat! She's always been the thin one in the family, so she's planning on going on a diet so I don't outdo her! It feels good to laugh about some of this stuff!

One final note that I hope will bring smiles to your day:

I teach fourth grade. Since I've had so many appointments, I've taken this week off of work. My friend posted a note on my facebook page...apparently my kids have decided that I'm pregnant! LOL! (I'm 45 years old!)
  • Mawty
    Mawty Member Posts: 133
    LPack said:

prayer
    Sorry Leesa, but here you will be encouraged and we will keep you in prayer.

I can't remember who, but someone on this board had a CA125 of 14,000. Mine was 1,799 and was staged at 3C January 28, 2010. I have a friend who had Ovarian Cancer and her CA125 never went ABOVE normal - go figure!!

We are all made so different (wonderfully made that is!!) God knitted us in our mother's womb to be exactly what we are - beautiful and wonderful!!

Keeping the Faith is something no one can take from us!

Living for Eternity,
    Libby

CA-125
    Hello Leesa,

My CA-125 was 54 at the highest and I was diagnosed with 3C, and it's never been lower than 18 after chemo. So CA-125 isn't a good indicator for me at all. I just saw my oncologist yesterday about starting chemo again on Tuesday for a recurrence and my husband brought up the CA-125 number and she said, we don't pay much attention to that. So that number IS an indicator, but like someone else said, it doesn't tell you how much cancer there is, just that something is going on.

I pray your surgery will go well. I will pray for you.

Blessings,

Marty
  • MK_4Dani
    MK_4Dani Member Posts: 314
    leesag said:

Pet Scan is in the works. I called my best friend and told her that apparently the Cat they used wasn't sensitive enough so now they're calling in guinea pigs, hamsters and goldfish! As I continue to post on this board, you will find that I have an odd sense of humor that keeps me going!

My husband noticed that I winced once or twice this morning, and was concerned about pain. When he suggested I call my doctor, I suggested he get the midol from the bathroom cabinet (one final time!).

It's been a day for weirdness. After talking to my sister about the surgery (she has been absolutely wonderful through all of this btw), I must confess, I took a smidge of pleasure in telling her that the doc said my tummy would be flat! She's always been the thin one in the family, so she's planning on going on a diet so I don't outdo her! It feels good to laugh about some of this stuff!

I teach fourth grade. Since I've had so many appointments, I've taken this week off of work. My friend posted a note on my facebook page...apparently my kids have decided that I'm pregnant! LOL! (I'm 45 years old!)

Sorry
    Dear Leesag,
    Your wonderful sense of humor is going to help you though all of this, no doubt! This board will give you a lot of information if you ask away. Just by reading the posts I learned some great coping skills and hints to manage side effects. YOu are another person to add to the prayer list of my discussion board friends. Sounds like you have a very supportive husband and he cleans too....WOW! You can do this!

Here is a funny:
    I was walking in the local mall where there is a kiosk selling flat irons, curling irons, etc. The employee stopped me and asked if he could "...curl my hair"? I smiled and chuckled, "I am wearing a wig". He felt bad but I told him not to worry since I felt good about the $$ I spent on the wig.

Life Is Good..Never Give Up
    MK
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    leesag said:

Leesa

Bed
    I have the same problem, with the bathroom downstairs and my bedroom upstairs. A friend loaned us a fold up bed that we set up off the living area. I also used it for my first week after some of my chemo treatments. I was always happy to get back to my bed, but meanwhile was a comfort to be close to the bathroom and not having to do stairs in the middle of the night.

When your husband is done cleaning your house, can you tell him, I could use some help?
    Hugs,
    kathleen:)
  • nancy591
    MK_4Dani said:

Sorry
    Dear Leesag,
    Your wonderful sense of humor is going to help you though all of this, no doubt! This board will give you a lot of information if you ask away. Just by reading the posts I learned some great coping skills and hints to manage side effects. YOu are another person to add to the prayer list of my discussion board friends. Sounds like you have a very supportive husband and he cleans too....WOW! You can do this!

Here is a funny:
    I was walking in the local mall where there is a kiosk selling flat irons, curling irons, etc. The employee stopped me and asked if he could "...curl my hair"? I smiled and chuckled, "I am wearing a wig". He felt bad but I told him not to worry since I felt good about the $$ I spent on the wig.

Life Is Good..Never Give Up
    MK

same thing happened to me
    MK-
    I had the samething happen to me at the mall. Too funny! I joked that I should have startled him by sitting down and taking my wig off. That would have been frightful!
  • nancy591
    leesag said:

facebook page
    Leesag-

What is your facebook page. Mine is Nancy Rosson Kavleski.
    Look me up!
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Dear Leesa,
    You are remarkable! My CA125 was almost 4000 and I had four treatments of carboplatin/taxol prior to surgery that brought that number down to 35 and shrunk the tumors from over 2.5 cm to less than 1 cm.
    Then they could do the surgery! I had tumors through out the abdomen and in the liver, spleen, and some on the intestines. I received "optimum results" with the surgery which means they got everything over 0.5 cm that was visible. I did five more chemos and was "no evidence of disease" and a CA125 of 7.

After surgery, I probably would not have wanted to climb stairs. The incision is usually from sternum to pubis (on me that was about 14 inches. Different people have different pain tolerance and only you know your body. I think I have a fairly high pain tolerance but was never the less on a morphine pump 6 days in the hospital which really helped when I had to get up out of the hospital bed to go to the bathroom and do my walking. Force yourself to move that next day. It is painful but so important in recovery to do that walking. I can't stress this enough.

God Bless, Saundra
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member

CA125
    Mine was 4,000 before surgery and 2,200 afterward. I have "talked" (via the Internet) to one woman whose CA125 was 13,000.

I had a bowel obstruction and that elevated my number. You may have some as yet unknown stuff going on that shot yours up, as well.

Even so, don't despair. After two sessions of Carbo/Taxol, my CA125 went down by 90%, and last week, it was 19.

Carlene

CA125
    Hissy Fitz. That is such encouraging news about your CA125 responding so well to your treatment I am so pleased for you and it gives me lots of hope.
    Much love Tina xxxxx
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    leesag said:

Leesa

Keep your chin up
    You will get through this. I was diagnosed on 4th Nov 09 and the person that took the news the worse was my husband. It is harder on other people because there is nothing for them to but wait around, whereas you are involved in tests and procedures etc and are occupied. The beginning bit is also the hardest because everything is so new and scary. But it will get better as you go through all of the procedures and things begin to settle down.
    I never had an operation just 4 procedures to drain fluid from around my lungs, but each time I went in I was so so glad because I knew I was a step closer to fixing the cancer & I welcomed it.
    I like your irony, I find that black humour helps so much

Much love Tina xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • froggy1
    froggy1 Member Posts: 205
    leesag said:

Flat Tummy?
    I think I was shortchanged. I asked the doc about making my tummy flat and he said he couldn't do that! LOL Mine kind of resembles my rear end, only on the front! Best to you, Froggy
  • patty12
    patty12 Member Posts: 5
    A Winning Spirit!
    Dear Leesa, I am new here and learning much on behalf of my friend with Stage 4. BUT, I just want to tell you girl, you've got spunk and attitude and a winning spirit. Stay strong, get the best medical advice you can and listen to these women, they are each a pearl of wisdom. Ask God for help and direction and you couldn't be in better Hands.

Please keep that wonderful sense of humor, you know what they say about laughter being the best medicine.

I can't offer helpful medical advice but I can offer you my prayers.
    Best Wishes, Patty
  • Mawty
    Mawty Member Posts: 133
    froggy1 said:

Flat Tummy?
    I think I was shortchanged. I asked the doc about making my tummy flat and he said he couldn't do that! LOL Mine kind of resembles my rear end, only on the front! Best to you, Froggy

Humor
    I think humor is one of the best things we have going, and Froggy you just made me laugh outloud! I relate! Ha!

Sometimes my friends are a little shocked by the things I say about my cancer or about my wig like pulling it off in strange places and sayihng "Wanna see a bald Marty?!" But I definitely think laughter is the best medicine.

Marty
  • leesag
    February 10
    It appears that the earliest I can have surgery is February 10th. I keep reminding myself that this thing has been inside of me for quite some time and one more week won't make any difference, but it's tough! I left a message for the scheduling nurse just to verify that it's okay to wait!

How silly am I being? lol