Need Help Making a Decision

Options
cancer survivor x 4
cancer survivor x 4 Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Good Morning,
I know this is stupid, but I need advice. I want to go on a cruise in April. It cost $3000.00. I was ready to give the Carnival Cruise people my credit card number yesterday, but I chickened out. Why? Because in April I could have a re-occurance. I have been NED for almost 9 monthes. My CA-125 is 6 and I had a clean scan in early November. Stage 2B. This is ridiculous. I can't even make a decision because I do not want to loose my money. I am letting this control my decisions. I can't get cruise insurance because, it would be considered a pre-existing condition. I can't believe this. Any other time I would not have had the money and now I do and I am scared to commit to any plans more then a week away. This is ludicrous. I need a big pep talk. What would you do? Paula

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    Options
    Paula,
    I'm visiting from the

Paula,
    I'm visiting from the cervical ca board, but I know exactly what your feeling. Due to all the complications and possible recurrance issue, I have postponed living life to it's fullest also. Last week I finally broke down and booked flights for a vacation in April. My first thought was, "Wow, that's a lot of money to possibly have just thrown away." My second thought was, "Yes, I'm starting to live again!" And I've been riding on that high since. Will my vertigo and tinitis strike full force once we're in the air??? I have a pill for that. Will the nausea/vomiting issue rear it's ugly head??? I have a pill for that. Can I actually live life to it's fullest by allowing this dreaded disease to control me...NO! Sunshine and warmth here I come!!
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    not stupid!
    I was NED April 2009. I went to Orlando, FL with the kids in Oct. 09 despite fearing a reoccurence due to my ongoing bowel symptoms. Like the other poster said, I went to the doctor and got antispasmotic medication in case I had bowel spasms. I too was leary when I booked my flight. Well, I had WONDERFUL time and had no problems. I am the biggest worrier I know. I am thinking about going on vacation this April despite being on chemo and fighting a reoccurence. Go and enjoy yourself. Live and have fun.
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Buy trip insurance
    We always buy trip insurance to cover cruise and plane fares to and from.... It is cheap when you live on the edge and necessary for us, I think. We leave the 4th of Feb. for our, God willing. This eliminate the fear factor of "what if". Princess Cruises did not ask about pre-existing conditions. Saundra
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    GO!
    Paula,

I would GO! Go, go, go..................

Love,
    Libby
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Paula,
    I absolutely would go! You need to enjoy your life and take a break from cancer!!!

I took a trip to Hawaii with my family, after my first line and CA125 was at 5. I knew that over the time I was gone, my marker could go up suddenly, but not likely, and even if it crept up, the recurrence had to be at least over 35 and confirmed by CT etc etc. It was the best thing I ever did. We celebrated my MIL's 80th birthday and had a fabulous time in Maui!

I also took a break last summer when my numbers were at 18. I knew I was not cancer free, the number was low enough to take a chemo/cancer break, and I was absolutely exhausted from 6 cycles of horrible gem/cis. I even stopped my daily check-in to the cancer boards. I couldn't afford a long trip, but we took a short one as a family to a local hot springs, went to a kid's camp, and in between went to the beach or pool almost every day with my kids. it was a refreshing choice and although the CA crept back up over the summer, and I started chemo in September, finding that out in September I was ready to fight again after the clean break.

I would say go for it!!! I am looking forward to my next opportunity to do the same!!!

Hugs,
    kathleen:)
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    echo
    Yes I am just a echo of the all the previous posts. Insurance is what I would do if I was worried to much, and you can schedule treatments and such around the trip. Live life to the fullest in spite of cancer. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi, Paula~
    Are you sure it won't cover that pre-existing condition?

I did it. And the insurance covered me when I had a recurrence. That was with Princess Cruises, and they do own Carnival, however I am not familiar with the Carnival cancellation policy. (and we have sailed several times, so we do get an upgraded insurance).

I just had to provide a letter that stated I HAD BEEN in remission, but then had a recurrence. I was actually surprised at how 'easy' it was to get my refund (less the price of the insurance). My doctor also had to sign a form, and he was happy to do it.
    Did you tell the travel agent or Carnival representative the situation?
    (a travel agent can get the same price for you, and often times add shipboard credits or a bottle of wine, too).

And if it's this month? I say GO FOR IT!! If need be, you can start treatment when you get back. I'm not a doctor, but I think it'd be safe. In fact, you may want to call and ask your doctor or nurse.

Keep dancing with NED for as long as possible! I have a 3-month check-up the end of June,
    but I am cruising to Alaska the end of May, and I have booked Mexico in Sept, and Hawaii in December. We've got to keep living!

p.s. I just noticed that your post was from January.... (duh...) Are you going??? :-)
    I hope so!!

xoxo