Leaning towards Latissimus Flap

pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Pink warriors:) Met with the plastic surgeon today and I'm leaning towards a latissimus flap. Any information on this would be wonderful...I will meet with the other surgeon this afternoon, should know by today when the big surgery is going to take place. I'll keep you posted....
Many thanks and big hugs,
Kari

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    I looked it up
    but can't really tell if it's the best choice. Let me know how it goes.
  • 131mom
    131mom Member Posts: 4
    latissimus flap reconstruction
    hi
    i just finished radiation tx friday. anyways, that's what i had done & my skin held up fine but i am a sun worshipper so am used to the burn. i think that's really a better way to judge how your skin will react to the radiation - how you do in the sun.

with regards to the reconstruction, the radiation will keep the muscle swollen. i just had the right side so i can tell the difference. On the left, the swelling has gone down since surgery, 0ct 9 09.

with regards to reconstruction, expect your back to be tight & numb. my post op pain was from my back, not the mastectomy. unk how long the numbness/tightness will last. you will no longer have feeling in your breast, even if your keeping your skin. your back/shoulder will feel funny when you go to reach for something and will be weak. the streches & exercises are important for range of motion/strength.

just a tidbit, ask your breast surgeon if they can do everything thru the areola incision. that's what i had done so i don't have your typical line scar across your breast. i have no scars on my breast, just my back & that is very helpful.

good luck!
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Kari
    I had my mastectomy on 12/11/09 and decided that the tram flap was the reconstruction for me. I do a lot of sports with my kids and I worried that if I had the lat. recon. that I wouldn't have the strength and movement in my arm to play with my kids. My surgeon said that I would definately lose some of both of these. I also worried about losing a stomach muscle with the tram flap too. My doc said that I would lose that too, but, it wouldn't really be that noticable - unless I was a pro athlete. I had the tram done and am very happy with the results. I didn't have near the pain that I thought I would (I am a big wimp when it comes to pain). I am healing great.

That said, you have to do what you feel would be best for you. A lot of women choose implants, I thought I would do this but when I researched it, I changed my mind. If it's not right for you, you won't feel right. Good luck in whatever you choose.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    helen e said:

Kari
    I had my mastectomy on 12/11/09 and decided that the tram flap was the reconstruction for me. I do a lot of sports with my kids and I worried that if I had the lat. recon. that I wouldn't have the strength and movement in my arm to play with my kids. My surgeon said that I would definately lose some of both of these. I also worried about losing a stomach muscle with the tram flap too. My doc said that I would lose that too, but, it wouldn't really be that noticable - unless I was a pro athlete. I had the tram done and am very happy with the results. I didn't have near the pain that I thought I would (I am a big wimp when it comes to pain). I am healing great.

That said, you have to do what you feel would be best for you. A lot of women choose implants, I thought I would do this but when I researched it, I changed my mind. If it's not right for you, you won't feel right. Good luck in whatever you choose.

I'm your lat flap sister~
    Kari, any questions specifically you can pm me. It was the right decision for me and I healed beautifully. I was so scared going in for surgery, but it was less discomfort than the mastectomy was. I had a unilateral mastectomy (left side) and I am perfectly balanced. My surgery was Oct 08.
    Melanie