infections - flap reconstruction

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anybody had this problem? I had a flap reconstruction on Jan. 5th, I am doing alright in the sense I am mobile however I got an infection in the stomach area so the plastic sugeon opened up the incision a little and washed it out with saline. I was doing just fine, saw him on friday he was alright with the progress then this weekend I have another infection!! I have been packing where he opened me as he instructed.

My stomach goes red and itches, it is a little swollen. I am taking the antibiotic, the third one he has given me although this one is based a sample he took from me. What makes me nervous is that he said if it doesn't clear up he will have to open me up completely and I don't want any more surgery right now.

Has anyone else had anything like this. I am just not sure why I keep getting infection.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    I am sorry
    My friend had similar situation. She was prescribed a topical solution. Your new antibiotic should help within 48 hours. Do you have enough rest and good nutrition? Try to boost your immune system, drink a lot of liquids. I wish you to feel better soon.
    New Flower
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

I am sorry
    My friend had similar situation. She was prescribed a topical solution. Your new antibiotic should help within 48 hours. Do you have enough rest and good nutrition? Try to boost your immune system, drink a lot of liquids. I wish you to feel better soon.
    New Flower

I had a problem with my

I had a problem with my belly button (redness and discharge), which was treated with an antibiotic and an antibiotic cream. It took a while, but it finally cleared up and was fine a few weeks after surgery. I did have a lot of swelling in my abdomen after the drains came out, and the incision was quite red (only along the incision). And, sometimes there's itching when you are healing. So, your new symptoms may be OK, but you should have them checked. At least once I thought that it was a further infection when it was really a natural part of healing.

Hope you're able to see someone from your doctor's office today and that everything is healng fine.

Joyce