Radiated on purpose as an infant in the 1950's, cancer developed years later

Options
123457»

Comments

• kodsgy
    kodsgy Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

My GP just steered me away from seeing an endocrinologist, and said to see an ENT (ear, nose and throat doc) instead. Your thoughts? 

• shewhowatches
    shewhowatches Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Hm. Endocrinologist would address broader metabolic and hormonal issues related to organ function, such as thyroid. An ENT would seem like the choice if there were structural swallowing or upper airway or sinus issues and such due to growths. I would suggest asking your GP the reasoning for ENT over Endo. It may be your GP’s prioritization of your symptoms.

• shewhowatches
    Options

Good luck advocating for yourself. It isn’t always easy but it is evidence of your strength.

• shewhowatches
    Options

I have seen ent, endocrinologist, rheumatologist and ongoing care with oncologist. It can be a long journey.

• wrwoolley1
    wrwoolley1 Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Another difficult story to read, @lpammysnowball. I'd like to give the medical profession a pass on the use of radiation. I'd like to believe they didn't have a clue about the dangers it posed, especially when treating preschoolers in the 1950s. I'd like to believe we weren't just being used as guinea pigs for experimentation. In the early 1900s, however, there was considerable evidence that radioactivity posed threats to human health. Yet, still today, physicians are routinely recommending tests, such as nuclear stress tests, that require increasingly appalling amounts of radioactivity while claiming they only use "small amounts" that are "relatively safe" and "worth the risk." Google "nuclear stress test radiation risk," for example, and you can read all day. My continual indignation about this topic, however, does nothing to solve the problems you've already incurred, nor the stress and sadness I assume it has caused. Illnesses have an immeasurable ripple effect on loved ones. Thanks so much for sharing your story, as well as for your interest in gaining awareness of this issue. I wish you and your husband the best. Be strong as you advocate for his health! Email, if you wish: wrwoolley at gmail.com.

@kodsgy I'm afraid I can't definitively lay the problems you mentioned at the feet of the medical professionals who prescribed and/or administered your thymus radiation, but I'd absolutely check in with an endocrinologist asap. I do know the thyroid regulates metabolism, so your other issues might well be in play if something is amiss with your thyroid.

I sent you an email. Short answer for this forum: A GP should be willing, I think, and able to request a blood test that indicates thyroid function, as well as an ultrasound, which should show the presence of a tumor. I had this done 45 years ago, but I believe these measures are still appropriate. See: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thyroid-cancer/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354167

• Mushuharley1
    Mushuharley1 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I was radiated in 1957 near Detroit. I had 2 surgeries in my 20s. As I was told I had tumor producing glands. Now in my 60s due to kidney cancer I had to have many and still are survalence scans. Now I'm growing nodules on a parathyroid glad. I wish there were research on us survivors. I guess what's the point they now know that was a disaster medically!

• shewhowatches
    Options

So sorry that all this has/is happening to you. I have had several tumors and such also from radiation as a child. Jemije