Cry

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have no idea whats going on with me. I could cry at the drop of a hat. Now I have felt like this before at the very beginning of this journey, but now I am close to the end of treatment, besides herceptin until next summer. I started taking Tamoxifen, is this making me feel like this? I am on all the good drugs for the depression and all that goes with it. Why now do I feel like I am falling back. Is this normal ? Yes, I have a lot going on in my life right now and it's not all about me, but I was feeling this way before. I can't seem to get it together the last 2 weeks or so. Can't sleep through the night. I have drugs for that to. So tell me whats going on ? Why now ? Could not be a worse time right now to be this way.

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    That's how I'm feeling today
    all of a sudden. I've been doing really well, and today I just have been tearing up (here at work, which isn't good) and have no idea why.

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that it very well could be related to your starting on Tamoxifen since that wreaks havoc with your hormone levels, which in turn can wreak havoc with your emotions. Also if the Tamoxifen or if something else is keeping you from getting a good night's rest, it could very well make you an emotional wreck.

Please call your doctor and see if there's something that could be adjusted or added to your medication to help you through this. And don't feel bad about feeling bad. Sometimes, at least for me, it makes it go away quicker if I just allow myself to have a pity party and wallow for a bit with the understanding that this, too, shall pass.

(((((((HUGE CYBER HUGZ)))))))
    Cindy
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Well,
    I do know that tamoxifen is a hormone blocker and because of that your hormones are being messed with...
    Have you told your onc about it,I would call on Monday and let them know what's been going on.
    Sorry that you are feeling this way,Kat. I think most of us have or are going through the same things at some part of this ride.I hope that someone else can help you better than I have!
    Love,
    Patty
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471

Well,
    I do know that tamoxifen is a hormone blocker and because of that your hormones are being messed with...
    Have you told your onc about it,I would call on Monday and let them know what's been going on.
    Sorry that you are feeling this way,Kat. I think most of us have or are going through the same things at some part of this ride.I hope that someone else can help you better than I have!
    Love,
    Patty

me to
    i started tamoxifen in december and i have noticed depression, crying and not much energy i havent seen my oncologist since i started it but i am going to tell him when i do .i take nothing else but it.

hope things get better for you.

:0) teresa
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Kat, I can really identify
    Kat, I can really identify with your post. I cried at the drop of a hat during treatment and probably a year or more after, in fact I am still more emotional now than before my cancer. I too am taking an antideppresant and have not slept well since my cancer. I think having cancer is a terrifying, emotionally draining, and life changing experience. I think everyone is different in regards to how long it takes to recover emotionally. You have to take care of you and be patient w/yourself. I sometimes get discouraged because I want to feel like I did before my breast cancer, but I also know that I can only do what I can do and thats it.

We are here for you, please come by whenever you need us:)
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    crying jags
    Well, I did the same thing when I started Tamoxifen. I don't believe it's the herceptin, cause I had been on that before tamox. happy to report not driving and crying anymore. Been on tamox for 3 mons. Don't recall how long I was on tamox before crying stopped, cause I was crying. lol If it continues, say passed a month it may be something like depression. Keep smiling and hopefully it will pass soon. Gayla
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    crying jags
    Well, I did the same thing when I started Tamoxifen. I don't believe it's the herceptin, cause I had been on that before tamox. happy to report not driving and crying anymore. Been on tamox for 3 mons. Don't recall how long I was on tamox before crying stopped, cause I was crying. lol If it continues, say passed a month it may be something like depression. Keep smiling and hopefully it will pass soon. Gayla
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    I'm triple negative so I
    I'm triple negative so I can't relate to any of the drugs your on for hormone blocks, but I can relate to the crying. The chemo shut my ovaries down so I have major hot flashes and I cry at the drop of a hat. I think we do have a lot to cry about and the tears are very cleansing so I just let 'em fall. Allow yourself some tears :) This journey is a tough one and we are going to have our ups and downs and hopefully more laughter than tears but it's all inevitable....Big Hugs, and throw some happy tears in there too, I love happy tears :)
    ~Kari
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    In the same (or similar) boat
    I've also noticed an increase in my crying episodes since starting Tamoxifen in November. I couldn't sleep through the night and switched from taking my Tamoxifen before bed to taking it in the morning. That helped, but I still wake up almost every night before I've had more than six hours of sleep (although it is better than the 3-4 hours I was getting).

Don't be too hard on yourself and give in to your tears when you are able. Some days I cry on the way to work and on the way home but "shut off" my emotions while I'm at work or with my family.

Tell your doctor how you are feeling and maybe he/she can suggest other things that could help.

Take care and keep posting.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Crying Jags Too
    Kathy, I agree with what everyone has written. I also have crying jags. Right after my radiation treatments ended, I cried several times a day, every day, for about 2 weeks. With all that has gone on for me the last year, now that any time something else happens, I seem not to handle it as well emotionally. Whereas before bc I would have been calmer, now I cry more readily and am more likely to let things get me off-balance emotionally.

Please do talk to your doctor. And be patient with yourself. You have been through--and are still going through--a terrible ordeal.