abdomen drains Newbie here

wendybia
wendybia Member Posts: 73
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
good morning everyone..hope you can help..last month i had a mastectomy with immediate diep flap...where the ab drains were is still very sore and swollen...i saw the doctor last week and he looked at it because i thought it may be infected..he said no it was normal...but this week it's more uncomfortable...how long will this last ? thanks for your help..wendy

Comments

• jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    My understanding is that it
    My understanding is that it can last for a few months. Mine was swollen for about three months. I did have fluid drained a couple times, because my last drain had to come out early because it was plugged. You might have to have this done also. Will you see your surgeon again soon, so you can ask? A month after surgery, I think that I was seeing my plastic surgeon once a week.

I did experience abdominal discomfort (not pain) for six weeks. I had to lie on my back, and when I did start sleeping on my side, I hugged a pillow. I didn't really have any pain in my breasts. But, the good thing is that it's temporary. I probably spent too much time worrying about it, and now it's a distant memory (I had my surgery in April). (Note: I was constantly thinking about it and researching it on the web; that's why I think I spent too much time worrying about it.)

Joyce
  • wendybia
    wendybia Member Posts: 73
    jk1952 said:

My understanding is that it
    My understanding is that it can last for a few months. Mine was swollen for about three months. I did have fluid drained a couple times, because my last drain had to come out early because it was plugged. You might have to have this done also. Will you see your surgeon again soon, so you can ask? A month after surgery, I think that I was seeing my plastic surgeon once a week.

I did experience abdominal discomfort (not pain) for six weeks. I had to lie on my back, and when I did start sleeping on my side, I hugged a pillow. I didn't really have any pain in my breasts. But, the good thing is that it's temporary. I probably spent too much time worrying about it, and now it's a distant memory (I had my surgery in April). (Note: I was constantly thinking about it and researching it on the web; that's why I think I spent too much time worrying about it.)

Joyce

ab drains

thanks for your response Joyce...i see the plastic's man on the 28th..if it's still this sore mid week i think i'll call him...i tried hugging the pillow last night..oh that was sooo nice to sleep on my side..thanks for the info i do appreciate it...