Backache from HELL

sallyf
sallyf Member Posts: 33
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm one week out from my first chemo now. My worst was day 4, when I just felt like I had the flu, bigtime. Then, the next morning I thought, "OK, I'm feeling a little better. Maybe that was the worst of it." Then, yesterday, the MAJOR backache hit. I'm on Taxotere/Cytoxin. Has anyone else had this backache and how long does it last?? I've been up and active, out to the store, chores, resting, taking xtra strength Tylenol. I've never had this kind of a backache : ((
At one point, someone mentioned Glutamine and VitB, or was that for the numbness/tingling that accumulates?
I'm going to head off to the ACS restorative yoga and see if that helps....any other ideas, girls?
You're all such angels.

Sally

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Since you are on chemo you
    Since you are on chemo you should contact your doctor for what to take. Everything should be approved. After I was done with treatment I took glutamine for hip pain but this was after treatment. Your doctor should tell you what to take or at least approve it. Sorry you are having this problem. I didn't have the cytoxin with taxotere. I just had taxotere.
  • Kit1018
    Kit1018 Member Posts: 48
    I hope you feel better have
    I hope you feel better have you tried hot packs or ice packs?
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    No backache
    I'm on the same "cocktail" as you are and just had my second round last Wednesday, but have not had a problem with backaches. Just a little achiness over the weekend which I took Tylenol for.

Marcia is correct, you should definitely contact your doctor to ask what else you can take before you try anything else.

I would think that the yoga should be good for you as well. I know it always helps me in general to feel better.

Hope you feel better soon!

Cindy
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Kit1018 said:

I hope you feel better have
    I hope you feel better have you tried hot packs or ice packs?

Did you get the Neulasta
    Did you get the Neulasta shot the day after your chemo? This will cause bone pain. Also your larger bones will hurt as you rebuild your blood cells. My "cocktail" was Adriamycin with Cytoxan, then Neulasta the following day after chemo. My shoulders and hips would really hurt on days 3-5 after the shot. Call your doctor before taking any over the counter drugs including vitamins. Many of these will counter the chemo. I hope you feel better soon.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

No backache
    I'm on the same "cocktail" as you are and just had my second round last Wednesday, but have not had a problem with backaches. Just a little achiness over the weekend which I took Tylenol for.

Marcia is correct, you should definitely contact your doctor to ask what else you can take before you try anything else.

I would think that the yoga should be good for you as well. I know it always helps me in general to feel better.

Hope you feel better soon!

Cindy

I am not sure if you had
    I am not sure if you had this done, but your doctor should give you a bone scan. This will show if there is a medical reason for the back pain. Hope you feel better. I find that aleve does work better than tylenol, but make sure that you can take this. i also take percocets, which really takes the edge off.
  • sfolk
    sfolk Member Posts: 4
    Back ache
    I feel your pain. I have had 3 chemo treatments and the first one by far was the worse for the back pain. Mine would start at my lower back a penitrate up through my neck. This went on for two days. I called the doctor and she said that was just part of it and that usually the first round was the worse because the next time you know what to expect. She did suggest heat. I had some Loritab from my previous surgery and it seem to help a little.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sfolk said:

Back ache
    I feel your pain. I have had 3 chemo treatments and the first one by far was the worse for the back pain. Mine would start at my lower back a penitrate up through my neck. This went on for two days. I called the doctor and she said that was just part of it and that usually the first round was the worse because the next time you know what to expect. She did suggest heat. I had some Loritab from my previous surgery and it seem to help a little.

I get shoulder pain as well.
    I get shoulder pain as well. I use advil. and heating pad. it usually lasts 1-2 days. the glutamne and vit B were for peripheral neuropathy. I thought the claritan helped the bone Pain? I never took it. but I have read people take claritin or allegra.
  • sallyf
    sallyf Member Posts: 33
    carkris said:

I get shoulder pain as well.
    I get shoulder pain as well. I use advil. and heating pad. it usually lasts 1-2 days. the glutamne and vit B were for peripheral neuropathy. I thought the claritan helped the bone Pain? I never took it. but I have read people take claritin or allegra.

Thanks everyone
    That's a big help, to hear back from all of you. I see my onc. on Fri. for a blood test and I'll ask if I should be taking Aleve instead. Yes, a heating pad does help. MY yoga class was SO great..amazing all the resources out there : ) I'll keep fightin', thanks to all your support!
    Sally