Radiation threatments

Options
pmartens
pmartens Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
HI,
I'm new to this, so bare with me. I am seeing my surgeon today, just diagnosised with DCIS stage O, Good I guess! She is going to do another mamogram, looking for my second clip that got lost in surgery.
I see the radiation oncologist tomorrow for my consultation. Question is how bad is radiation and what is the worst symptoms?
Thanks

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hello
    and Welcome! If you go to the top of the page and type in Radiation in the search area you will see all the posts that have been made on the subject. I have not started Radiation as of yet, so I cannot offer any help there. From what I have read though, it doesn't seem too bad. Sounds like a breeze compared to Chemo! Stage 0 is good,(well, NO cancer is "good"),but happy to hear you caught it so early. Hope all goes well with your visit to the surgeon.
    Keep us posted
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Radiation...........
    Raidation isn't bad at all, especially compared to chemo...... although everyone is different....I finished chemo the end of August and rads on Nov 2.....Mine was 5 days a week for right at 7 weeks.....to me that was the biggest "pain" of the radiation treatments, leaving the house every day at 7:35 am......it took 4 weeks for even some pinkness to show up..and about the same time when the fatigue sets in, you can get very tired. I had no burning, just a deep dark "tan." The last 7 treatments were boosters, that is, they radiated just where the tumor was located, as opposed to the entire breast for the first part. For me, again, it wasn't bad at all....before your treatment begins, they will do markings, I had 4 pin dot tattoos.....just a little "bee sting" feeling....these are for the purpose of lining up.....also before I started they did a "mold" that held my arms and head in the same exact position every time.......it takes more time to get you situated on the table than the actual treatment, of which mine was about 5 minutes....my boosters lasted 40 seconds! I also was given cream to apply as soon as each treatment was completed, before I redressed and used then 3 more times daily......but NEVER within 4 hours of your treatment....they will also tell you to only use a NON Metallic deodorant, which they also supplied. Use a very mild soap, Dove for sensitive skin is what I used.....never "scrub" or rub the radiated area......it can get sensitive.....

I hope this has helped ease some of your fears.......Honestly, it isn't bad at all.....Any other questions you have I'd be happy to help.....and it goes faster than you think it will!
    I wish you the best!
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    hi pmartens
    I was dx with DCIS stage 0 on Dec 11th. This is all new to me to so maybe we can share or experience along the way of our treatments. I will be having a second surgery on Jan 22nd to get a wider clear margin. I see the radiologist on Feb 4th. I have already seen the oncologist have you? I most probably will begin radiation treatments 6 weeks after surgery. The oncologist said that I would need to take Arimidex after radiation. I am really nervous about it but I count my blessings that it was caught early. Good luck to you and please keep me posted as we go through this together.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    MAJW said:

Radiation...........
    Raidation isn't bad at all, especially compared to chemo...... although everyone is different....I finished chemo the end of August and rads on Nov 2.....Mine was 5 days a week for right at 7 weeks.....to me that was the biggest "pain" of the radiation treatments, leaving the house every day at 7:35 am......it took 4 weeks for even some pinkness to show up..and about the same time when the fatigue sets in, you can get very tired. I had no burning, just a deep dark "tan." The last 7 treatments were boosters, that is, they radiated just where the tumor was located, as opposed to the entire breast for the first part. For me, again, it wasn't bad at all....before your treatment begins, they will do markings, I had 4 pin dot tattoos.....just a little "bee sting" feeling....these are for the purpose of lining up.....also before I started they did a "mold" that held my arms and head in the same exact position every time.......it takes more time to get you situated on the table than the actual treatment, of which mine was about 5 minutes....my boosters lasted 40 seconds! I also was given cream to apply as soon as each treatment was completed, before I redressed and used then 3 more times daily......but NEVER within 4 hours of your treatment....they will also tell you to only use a NON Metallic deodorant, which they also supplied. Use a very mild soap, Dove for sensitive skin is what I used.....never "scrub" or rub the radiated area......it can get sensitive.....

I hope this has helped ease some of your fears.......Honestly, it isn't bad at all.....Any other questions you have I'd be happy to help.....and it goes faster than you think it will!
    I wish you the best!

Rads

You are probably aleady gone for your appointment, but, I will share a little info on rads with you. I had 37 total rads this time, 25 regular rads and 12 boosters. I went everyday, except for the weekends. I got little tattoos to help with the positioning of the machine. Your rads oncologist should go over everything with you and even give you written literature. He showed my husband and I the room, the machine, the computers that they use to line you up for the radiation treatment and went over it step by step. When you are in the room, they can watch you on cameras and you can speak to them if you need to. But, you are only in there for a couple of minutes after they leave the room. It doesn't hurt, you feel nothing. Be sure and use your creams from day one! Get lots of rest! Be gentle with your skin! You are suppose to use only a non aluminum deodorant. Tom from Maine's is the one that I found, but, didn't need. The rads killed my sweat glands so I don't sweat under my arms. It also killed my hair, so, I don't have to shave under my arm either. YEH! LOL Well, this is a lot of info for you. If you need more help, just ask! Good luck!

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    terri805 said:

hi pmartens
    I was dx with DCIS stage 0 on Dec 11th. This is all new to me to so maybe we can share or experience along the way of our treatments. I will be having a second surgery on Jan 22nd to get a wider clear margin. I see the radiologist on Feb 4th. I have already seen the oncologist have you? I most probably will begin radiation treatments 6 weeks after surgery. The oncologist said that I would need to take Arimidex after radiation. I am really nervous about it but I count my blessings that it was caught early. Good luck to you and please keep me posted as we go through this together.

HI
    I just finished my rads. Everyone else has said what I would tell you. Mainly, get sleep and use a lot of the creams everyday and night.

Megan
  • pmartens
    Options
    MAJW said:

Radiation...........

I wish you the best!

Radiation
    Thanks for all the info, I really did need some background before my appointment tomorrow. i did have the mammo today and the clip is no longer there, no more surgery. Thank God
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    pmartens and Terri805
    We are DCIS sisters. I was dx-ed with it in June, had lumpectomy in July. With lumpectomy the docs all suggest radiation. I want to tell you to ask about "accelerated partial breast irradiation" or APBI or "brachytherapy" ("brakk-ee-therapy"). I am so very happy that I had that kind of radiation. I went twice a day for 5 (FIVE!) days. I did not burn anywhere, at all. I had a weekend of fatigue and that was all.

There have been studies that show it will probably be as effective as whole breast irradiation. The third and final phase of clinical trials is almost done and is showing, to this point, just that result. To my knowledge, there are 4 ways it can be delivered: interstitial multicatheter, Mammosite, Savi, and Contura. Each radiation center probably has someone trained in at least one of those techniques and will push that particular kind. My situation was such that only the multicatheter would work, so that's what I had. Please look into it if it is offered in your area.
    ~~Connie~~
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Hi PMartens
    There are several good discussion chains on the site w/lots of really good info, so definitely spend some time looking thru. You can also try "rads" in the search box.

Rads are not bad at all, i'm almost done, 25/30 (didn't have chemo so nothing to compare). Only have my 5 boosters to go. Everyone's reacts just a bit differently, I had brisk skin reaction at the beginning...that's a fancy way of saying i got a burn pretty quick...first 3 weeks I was pink and tender, then turned brown and wasn't as tender. I didn't have to have any type of mold, so that may depend on the type of machine/equipment that is being used. Treatments are very quick, takes longer to get undressed! Fatigue can be an issue, more at the end as the effects are cumulative. And, as everyone else said, use the lotions/creams only the rad onc provides you. Use them generously! They can also provide lotion w/lidocaine (topical numbing medication) if you are really tender. I use tubes of it on my nipple early on. My boost treatments will be directly over my nipple, so anticipate the maximum use of lidocaine lotion again!

Good luck and God Bless...
    Julie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    jbug said:

Hi PMartens
    There are several good discussion chains on the site w/lots of really good info, so definitely spend some time looking thru. You can also try "rads" in the search box.

Rads are not bad at all, i'm almost done, 25/30 (didn't have chemo so nothing to compare). Only have my 5 boosters to go. Everyone's reacts just a bit differently, I had brisk skin reaction at the beginning...that's a fancy way of saying i got a burn pretty quick...first 3 weeks I was pink and tender, then turned brown and wasn't as tender. I didn't have to have any type of mold, so that may depend on the type of machine/equipment that is being used. Treatments are very quick, takes longer to get undressed! Fatigue can be an issue, more at the end as the effects are cumulative. And, as everyone else said, use the lotions/creams only the rad onc provides you. Use them generously! They can also provide lotion w/lidocaine (topical numbing medication) if you are really tender. I use tubes of it on my nipple early on. My boost treatments will be directly over my nipple, so anticipate the maximum use of lidocaine lotion again!

Good luck and God Bless...
    Julie

Radiation is very doable. I
    Radiation is very doable. I went everyday for weeks and only got a dark pink. I didn't burn. The boosters are a different type of rads to the tumor area only. My skin, after a couple of weeks after I was done, is just like a baby's behind. I wish all of my skin looked this good. Nothing to fear about them. Use your lotions, get rest, be careful with your skin and you will do great!

Lex♥
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
    Options
    pmartens
    Hello! I'm a DCIS stage zero as well. My BC was found during my annual mammogram. Went back for a 2nd mammo, then a biopsy, surgery and just had my third radiation treatment today. The first day is the longest day but still not that bad. They need time to position you and draw some tic-tac-toe signs on you so they know where to position the rads. Yesterday they gave me five permanent tattoos. It didn't hurt and they look like little ink dots. I asked for the Lucky Charms tattoos, you know ... the pink heart, green clover etc etc. They said they were out of think for that but could give me a skull and cross bones which we all got a good laugh out of.

Good luck with your treatments. Keep us posted. We are all in this together! Hugs. Gloria
  • pmartens
    Options
    terri805 said:

hi pmartens

Radiation
    Hi Terri805,
    Looks like we are in the same boat, I just do not need anymore surgery, by surgeon went back in after my surgical biopsy and my margins are clean. Just need radiation which will start sometime next week.
    Keep me posted how the surgery goes