To: The Semi;Colon Nation - I Received Disturbing News Tonight - A New 2010 Sundance Update

13»

Comments

• serrana
    serrana Member Posts: 163 Member
    spots after surgery
    Hi Craig
    I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me last year ( 2008) when after I had a lung met removed my onc ordered scans a few weeks later and yes there was another spot that lit up!!!I was crushed!
    My surgeon had a fit and said that scans should never be done that soon after a thoracotomy as there are post procedure glucose uptake effects that look like mets on scans.My second surgeon and his resident agreed.
    The onc insisted it was a met.
    I went on Folfiri and Avastin and it shrunk.
    The surgeons said yep of course it shrunk because it was healing tissue that was being reabsorbed.
    The onc said of course it shrunk because it was a met.
    They argued about it for 4 months. THere is an article on www.pubmed.gov re post thoracotomy FDG effects that are false positives.
    Then when I stopped 6 months of chemo it hadn't disappeared and started to get bigger.
    They did an endoscopic ultrasound biopsy and yep it was a met.
    Onc 1, Surgeons 0.
    So that is why I went for a second thoracotomy last August.
    Since then I have been clear on scans.....
    Rollercoaster isn't it!!!
    Glad you will have a new Sundance to hug during this scary time.
    I just noticed you pm'd me in September....sorry I didn't respond
    I am not good at web boards.
    Stay in touch, God is with you and will not forsake you.
    Serrana
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Hi Craig,
    I'm so sorry to hear about this scan result. I'm with Phil and the others in hoping that it is benign or perhaps a post-surgery "thing".

I'm with you as you proceed through the further tests and procedures to figure this out.

Peace and blessings... Rob; in Vancouver
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    robinvan said:

Hi Craig,
    I'm so sorry to hear about this scan result. I'm with Phil and the others in hoping that it is benign or perhaps a post-surgery "thing".

I'm with you as you proceed through the further tests and procedures to figure this out.

Peace and blessings... Rob; in Vancouver

Its amazing how much one must endure
    in this battle. You're an amxing man Craig, with tons of guts and strength and you;ll beat this too, afterall, you have a pup to train...Steve
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Thinking of You
    You are going to be fine. Sounds like you have some very amazing doctors and they are going to do all they can to get rid of the tumor and get you well again. Thinking and praying for you.

Kim