Options
2»

Comments

• GRAVEY
    GRAVEY Member Posts: 83
    Options
    wboaz said:

Chin up.
    The treatment is hell. Period. You will survive it though and you will get to a "new normal" where you can be happy again and not think about Cancer 24/7.

I came here a year after my treatment ended because I could tell the people around me were getting tired of talking about cancer and couldn't relate to my experiences. Here there are plenty of people that have shared this experience. We all made it through and you will too.

As others have said communicate to your doctors what your experience is (depression, feeling cold, tired,...) as everyone will have their own reaction to the "standard protocol" that we are put through. They can help you address many of these issues. Attack them head on, this is your job now, your survival, and you need to work to make sure you are getting the best out of your doctors.

I'm now 4 years out and don't visit here quite as much as I used to but I cherish everyone here that helped me. We are all here for you and each other and that is a wonderful thing. God bless you.

Wayne

Thanks so much and congrats
    Thanks so much and congrats for your success. I am just scared, I am only 36 and am just having a hard time especially when my 4 year old comes up to me and asks me if Im going to die. I really need to get back to work and get my mind off this some. I am so afraid of recurring cancer, mainly for the area it's in, because my next option is probably surgery, and I cant imaging living without a tongue. Again, the age thing, maybe if I were 65, and had lived a good portion of my life, actually no, it would suck then also. Damn cancer, damn cancer damn cancer. Horrible horrible horrible disease. One this world needs to be without. Thanks to all of you for your support.
  • wboaz
    wboaz Member Posts: 48
    Options
    GRAVEY said:

Thanks so much and congrats for your success. I am just scared, I am only 36 and am just having a hard time especially when my 4 year old comes up to me and asks me if Im going to die. I really need to get back to work and get my mind off this some. I am so afraid of recurring cancer, mainly for the area it's in, because my next option is probably surgery, and I cant imaging living without a tongue. Again, the age thing, maybe if I were 65, and had lived a good portion of my life, actually no, it would suck then also. Damn cancer, damn cancer damn cancer. Horrible horrible horrible disease. One this world needs to be without. Thanks to all of you for your support.

Kids
    Try not to talk about it around your son. Tell him you aren't going to die but you may be a bit sick and sleep a lot. Make it simple for him and do your best to enjoy your time around and with him.

My kids (9 & 11 at the time) were real troopers and helped out a lot but they were scared and put a lot of responsibility on themselves that they didn't have to. It put some guilt on me later when I overheard them talking to friends on the phone about how thing sucked for them because of my illness. Try to let them be kids and you will have one less thing to regret later.

And you can get through this whatever the doctors and the disease throw at you. It's important to have a positive attitude during this time. It's your only weapon and many studies say that attitude is important to survival. Give the pain and worry over to God and laugh and enjoy the beauty in the world.

God bless,
    Wayne
  • MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    GRAVEY said:

Private e-mail

Gravey,

I sent you a private e-mail last night thru this site. Did you receive it ?
  • GRAVEY
    GRAVEY Member Posts: 83
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Private e-mail

Gravey,

I sent you a private e-mail last night thru this site. Did you receive it ?

Yes Marine, sent you one
    Yes Marine, sent you one back.

GRAVEY