Radiation Keeping me from full time job Why??

Options
kickie
kickie Member Posts: 85
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
went for new job in home health field on friday, the girl said well we keep you on the schedule for weekends till we see how you do. i told her i worked all during 4 chemos at my other job and i will be doing 30 treatments soon due you get that tired that you can't worked?? i took the client but i think come monday i will let them know how i feel?? my other boss works with me and i was hurt by this. Am i wrong??

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Most of us get tired during
    Most of us get tired during rads, but, lots of us still work fulltime. You just have to make sure that you get lots of sleep by going to bed early or whatever. I am sure she is just thinking of you and your health and doesn't want you to commit until you see how you do. I say try it first. Let us know.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just finished 28 of 35
    I just finished 28 of 35 radiation treatments and worked after each one. I'm tired at night and in bed by 8-8:30 but it's doable. I couldn't work the week of chemo so this is a lot easier on me. Feelings are not right or wrong they just are. I'm sorry you were hurt and I hope she was more concerned about your reaction to treatment then filling the job.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Sher43009 said:

I just finished 28 of 35
    I just finished 28 of 35 radiation treatments and worked after each one. I'm tired at night and in bed by 8-8:30 but it's doable. I couldn't work the week of chemo so this is a lot easier on me. Feelings are not right or wrong they just are. I'm sorry you were hurt and I hope she was more concerned about your reaction to treatment then filling the job.

You should let them know how
    You should let them know how you feel. If you could work thru chemo, I am sure you can work thru rads. Rads do make you tired, but, if you can get lots of rest, I am sure you will do fine. I bet she was just trying to help you out and didn't realize that she offended you.

HUGS
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Take it one day at a time
    The thing with rads is that you never know how you'll feel as they start to build up. I thought it was crazy to only work part time until I started on rads. THEN I was glad I wasn't working 40+ hours a week. Some days I could barely make it until the afternoon and then went home and sat around until I went to sleep (by 9:00 usually).

I'm glad your boss is willing to work with you on your schedule. Don't try to take on too much until you know how you'll feel. You need to get enough rest so that your body can heal itself from the radiation treatments.

Good luck!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Take it one day at a time
    The thing with rads is that you never know how you'll feel as they start to build up. I thought it was crazy to only work part time until I started on rads. THEN I was glad I wasn't working 40+ hours a week. Some days I could barely make it until the afternoon and then went home and sat around until I went to sleep (by 9:00 usually).

I'm glad your boss is willing to work with you on your schedule. Don't try to take on too much until you know how you'll feel. You need to get enough rest so that your body can heal itself from the radiation treatments.

Good luck!

What Wolfi says is true.
    What Wolfi says is true. Noone knows how they are really going to do after rads until they try it. I would suggest starting slow and see how you do. But, if you feel like going full force, then do it. You know your body better than anyone. Good luck.

KYLEZ ♥
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options

You should let them know how
    You should let them know how you feel. If you could work thru chemo, I am sure you can work thru rads. Rads do make you tired, but, if you can get lots of rest, I am sure you will do fine. I bet she was just trying to help you out and didn't realize that she offended you.

HUGS

THIS IS SOOO FUNNY
    I'm reading this thread and came to your (Survivorbc09) dancing monkey and the song on the radio is the disco tune "Ladies Night" (and the beat is right) - and the darn monkey is dancing in time with it. I'm laughing so hard the tears are coming down! LOL.
    Pat

P.S. I worked thru Rads. I'd go to work until 2 then rads then home to rest. But I got 6 hours a day in the office. It was hard, but on limited time off before no pay goes into effect, I had to. Just rest as much as you can and only do as much as you can.
    Hugs - Pat
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Kickie, no, you are not
    Kickie, no, you are not wrong. But, I think everyone is different and whereas some people can work throughout rads, some cannot. I think she was just being cautious. If you see you are not too effected, you can let her know and hopefully work more, if that is what you want. I worked 40+ hours the entire time I was on rads. I came to my office by 8:00 a.m. and left for my rads treatment at 10:20 every day and then back to work. I didn't have any trouble although I did go to bed earlier. I couldn't make it to some of my favorite 10:00 programs. Just take it one day at a time and best of luck with your rads!!