Update on New Onc

Options
BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have my first appointment with my new onc on Monday. They called on Friday to ask if I would sign a consent form for them to do another test for Her2 on my tumor. When my biopsy was done they tested the tumor for Her2. They did (I believe) ICH which came out eqivocal and FISH which came out positive. After surgery, when the OncotypeDX test was done it came out Negative for Her2. Three different results from the same tumor. I mentioned this to my old onc and he said I would just have to take Herceptin because one of the tests came out positive but evidently my new onc does not like the three different results and wants to test the tumor herself. She hasn't even seen me yet and is already trying to make sure things are done right. My new onc is with the University of Miami Sylvester Cancer Institute and specializes in Breast Cancer and does gene research. She may test it herself.

I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I will be getting more through and specialized care.

Will update more after my appointment on Monday.

Donna

Comments

• Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    New Onc
    It sounds like a positive move to me. Good luck with finding the real tumors name. It's good to have a dr. ur comfortable with. I was very blessed with all my docs. Katz
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Katz77 said:

New Onc
    It sounds like a positive move to me. Good luck with finding the real tumors name. It's good to have a dr. ur comfortable with. I was very blessed with all my docs. Katz

Good luck to you! You
    Good luck to you! You always need to feel comfortable with your doctors. I hope this new one works out for you.

KYLEZ ♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

Good luck to you! You
    Good luck to you! You always need to feel comfortable with your doctors. I hope this new one works out for you.

KYLEZ ♥

thats great you need to have
    thats great you need to have confidence in your docs to help yo have the right treatment and get through all of this. let us know how you like her.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I am glad your new
    I am glad your new oncologist is taking a real interest in your health. Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment and recovery plan!
    BL
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options

I am glad your new
    I am glad your new oncologist is taking a real interest in your health. Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment and recovery plan!
    BL

good to hear.
    wishing you the best of luck with new oncologist!

:0) teresa
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    good for you
    good luck with your new onc sound great
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. When
    Thanks for the update. When I read on this board about the OncotypeDX test, I asked my oncol. if I had that done and he said no because that test is primarily used if there is a question of being HER2+. I had the IHC and FISH test done both came back definitely + no question. I've also read that it depends on the lab and if it meets quality assurance standards doing the testing so I'm glad your new doc is going to re-test using a different lab. It seems she's on top of your care. Keep us posted.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    ladybug22 said:

good for you
    good luck with your new onc sound great

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your oncologist.

HUGS
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Options
    I am so glad you found a new
    I am so glad you found a new onc. Your story troubled me so deeply. There are few things in this life we have control over - finding the right doctor is one of them. Now you can let her do her job and you can focus on keeping YOU strong for the fight. Good luck! Pitt
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great
    Sounds like you have a great new doc. Thats great.
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Good news
    That's great you feel better about this oncologist, I think that is really important. Keep us posted!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Donna, I just read your
    Donna, I just read your comments here. This is GREAT news. I was concerned with your care and am happy to hear that it sounds like you found a good, caring doctor this time. Good luck with your appointment today. Let us know how it goes. Take care.