when should doctor order new pet scan?

Options
lindadanis
lindadanis Member Posts: 235
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
My husband, in stage four with lots of mets, is starting up his third session soon, when should the oncologis get another new pet scan done to see if these two chemo drugs are working? I was thinking maybe end of third session which would be half way since six sessions is ordered? am I correct and am I hoping too much that there will be a change for the good so soon?

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • lindadanis
    lindadanis Member Posts: 235
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

sherri
    thanks for responding to my post, why a cat scan vs a pet, is it because of insurance regulations, what do you mean accurate data at the end of the 6th? Do you mind me asking what stage your husband is and what did he do for treatment and also, how is he doing now?
    thanks Linda
  • MAE66
    MAE66 Member Posts: 66
    Options

sherri
    thanks for responding to my post, why a cat scan vs a pet, is it because of insurance regulations, what do you mean accurate data at the end of the 6th? Do you mind me asking what stage your husband is and what did he do for treatment and also, how is he doing now?
    thanks Linda

Hi Linda,
    If I remember

Hi Linda,
    If I remember correctly you husband is on the same regime as my husband, also stage 4. He had a PET just prior to starting treatment, than another after round 4 before he started the five weeks of radiation which straddled rounds 5 and 6. He has been off chemo for about 6 weeks and he will go in for a scan on the 13th prior to starting Xeloda. We were also told we had to give the chemo a chance to work. I know how hard it is to wait. My understanding is that CT scan is just that and the PET has the CT included, and yes, your insurance helps determine which one you get. Our Dr. goes for the PET and said that if it was not approved, Paul would have the CT.
    I hope this helps.

Susan
  • JaneE2366
    JaneE2366 Member Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Pet Scans
    Lindadanis,
    My husband (stage iv...mets...surgery/radiation not an option) was originally scheduled for 6 rounds of chemo. (Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU) After the 2nd round dr ordered another PET to see if the chemo was working. That was in May and the chemo was working....he was already considered in remission. If it hadn't worked, he would have changed the chemo. Dr decided to do just 4 rounds instead of 6 since he responded so well. He finished 4th round in July, started oral chemo (Xeloda) in Aug and had another PET in Sept. Still in remission. We are going for another one on Monday, the 18th. Praying he is still in remission. So I think, for now, the dr will keep him on a 4 month schedule. He has only had PET scan...other than 1 CAT when he was being diagnosed. We don't seem to have any issues with our insurance so that is not a determining factor for us.
    Stay strong,
    Jane
  • sherri
    thanks Linda

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • never2late
    never2late Member Posts: 1
    Options
    JaneE2366 said:

Pet Scans
    Lindadanis,
    My husband (stage iv...mets...surgery/radiation not an option) was originally scheduled for 6 rounds of chemo. (Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU) After the 2nd round dr ordered another PET to see if the chemo was working. That was in May and the chemo was working....he was already considered in remission. If it hadn't worked, he would have changed the chemo. Dr decided to do just 4 rounds instead of 6 since he responded so well. He finished 4th round in July, started oral chemo (Xeloda) in Aug and had another PET in Sept. Still in remission. We are going for another one on Monday, the 18th. Praying he is still in remission. So I think, for now, the dr will keep him on a 4 month schedule. He has only had PET scan...other than 1 CAT when he was being diagnosed. We don't seem to have any issues with our insurance so that is not a determining factor for us.
    Stay strong,
    Jane

I find it interesting that
    I find it interesting that the doctors often tend to wait until a patient has gone through some form of Cancer treatment BEFORE they order the initial PET scan. When I was told I had breast cancer last December, I insisted that a PET scan be done before even having the initial surgery. Once I found out that the tumor was solely in the breast and could very well be easily removed, and then was told following the surgery that the cancer had not spread to the nodes and the margins were clear, having that PET scan helped me to decide against the barbaric treatment protocol that would've been in store for me.

I can just imagine what would've happened had I not had that initial scan. I would've been convinced to go through the treatments and would be feeling like death warmed over today probably. Then they would've ordered the scan and showed me that "Voila!! The chemo was working and they had in fact cured the cancer!!" Even though it would've been limited to the one area in the first place

At any rate, I had called to see if my doctor would order another PET scan before the end of this year as I would like to have a reconstruction done and want to be sure that there is nothing to worry about regarding any possible spreading before I do so. They don't want to order it and I, like you, have insurance that will cover it.

Of course it shouldn't surprise me, I'm still wondering why, after all the money that has been spent and all the research that has been funded over the years, we still have not found a cure for cancer?

Best of luck with your husband's condition. I pray for all of us who have had the misfortune of being diagnosed with this unfair disease that has rendered so many of us human guinea pigs for the multi billion dollar industry aka big Pharma.