How many found their own BC as opposed to a Mammogram finding?

Options
12346»

Comments

• MarathonGirl
    MarathonGirl Member Posts: 1
    Options
    BC Never showed up
    My BC never showed up on my mammogram. My tissue was so dense due to thier fibrocystic nature that nothing could be seen. I felt it just under my nipple, so it was an automatic sonogram. Thank god for the sonogram....... three Stage3 tumors showed up bright and clear. A total of four inches, about half of my breast, was cancer.

With 60% of women having fibrocystic breasts, it makes me wonder if all mammograms should be followed by a sonogram; or perhaps sonograms should be the standard.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

BC Never showed up
    My BC never showed up on my mammogram. My tissue was so dense due to thier fibrocystic nature that nothing could be seen. I felt it just under my nipple, so it was an automatic sonogram. Thank god for the sonogram....... three Stage3 tumors showed up bright and clear. A total of four inches, about half of my breast, was cancer.

With 60% of women having fibrocystic breasts, it makes me wonder if all mammograms should be followed by a sonogram; or perhaps sonograms should be the standard.

Breast MRI Each
    Breast MRI Each Year?
    12/1/2010 (7:46:53am)Tags: mammogram MRI screeningComments: (0)

How are we ever supposed to know what to believe and how best to care for ourselves? Only two weeks ago, I wrote about a study indicating that an annual mammogram is sufficient screening for women post early breast cancer:

http://bidmc.org/YourHealth/BIDMCInteractive/Blogs/LivingwithBreastCancer.aspx?page=2&entry=1154

Now, here is a new study, as reported in Science Blog, from the Radiology meetings in Chicago that suggests that women with a personal history of breast cancer should have both an annual mammogram and an annual breast MRI. The usual routine is to stagger the two appointments so you have a screening test every six months. This is definitely a "talk to your own doctor" situation, but, just to get you thinking, here is a quote about the new study with a link to read more and comments from the Chief Medical Officer of the American Cancer Society who suggests caution when interpreting this report.

go to hester's blog to see the complete study
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

I found mine too and left it in me for over 2 years!
    My story is on my Expressions Page with more detail, but, I was only 34 and they didn't give mammograms for someone that young then. I had it for over 2 years because my gynecologist convinced me that I was way too young for bc and that I didn't want a scar on my breast. Finally, I insisted on a mammogram and the bc showed up as a "hot" spot. I was lucky, very lucky. It was very small and I had a lumpectomy with removal of all lymph nodes and rads. That is why I think it would be great for all women to have a baseline mammogram at age 30. The second time I had bc, which was 2009, it showed up as microcalcifications on my annual mammogram. Mammograms do literally save lives!

Love, Jeanne ♥

I am sure that I have
    I am sure that I have answered this before, but, something suspicious showed up on my mammo.

Thank goodness for mammograms!
  • vjcrocker
    vjcrocker Member Posts: 11
    Options

BC Never showed up

Fibrocystic Breast
    I understand that. I have to have an Ultrasound 2 times a year and an MRI at least once a year because my breast are so bad.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Myself
    I found my cancer myself in the shower. Invasive ductual Carcinoma. I don't think I felt it the nght before...seems like it just appeared! I always had cysts through the years and still had them alittle after menapause. It was always hard to do a self breast exam, it was difficult to tell if it was just a cyst. No lymph nodes involved 4.5cm and 1.5cm in other breast.