BBC News Health Yesterday

tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
There is an article saying that cancer survivors are dying of neglect.... Because many oncologists refuse to acknowledge the late side effects of treatment (Including thinking you are going mad (memory loss) and neuropathy... and all the other nasties) It states that follow up care , especially in the emotional field is MOST important! Please read this, it sure as heck made sense to me. Jxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Thanks, Tasha. I will check
    Thanks, Tasha. I will check this article out.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Thanks, Tasha. I will check
    Thanks, Tasha. I will check this article out.

Thanks for bringing this to
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tasha. I think that there is way too little done for breast cancer survivors after all the treatments end and they are filled with concern, fear etc. Cancer doesn't end when it is cut out, chemo out, or radded out. It may be gone but it has left something behind. Something that gnaws at our self confidence that we will be okay and will live and thrive. And even when we are confident about that, we can problems with body image, marital issues, work problems, family issues and more. These also need to be addressed. Cancer is physical but it is emotional. I think that sometimes the emotional is the worst. When you are in treatment you feel like you are fighting and working towards that cure. After you are just there, not knowing if or when it will be back. Glad to see that this is being addressed. It's about time.
    Stef
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    fauxma said:

Thanks for bringing this to
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tasha. I think that there is way too little done for breast cancer survivors after all the treatments end and they are filled with concern, fear etc. Cancer doesn't end when it is cut out, chemo out, or radded out. It may be gone but it has left something behind. Something that gnaws at our self confidence that we will be okay and will live and thrive. And even when we are confident about that, we can problems with body image, marital issues, work problems, family issues and more. These also need to be addressed. Cancer is physical but it is emotional. I think that sometimes the emotional is the worst. When you are in treatment you feel like you are fighting and working towards that cure. After you are just there, not knowing if or when it will be back. Glad to see that this is being addressed. It's about time.
    Stef

This a really good article
    I just read it. And it raises some very valid concerns that no one brings up.
    Very informational.

Thanks for sharing
    Ayse