Let the journey begin

Options
rrogers34
rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today I had my hair shaved off. Well almost all of it. Tomorrow morning I am going to have my port put in, then Friday, First round of chemo. I was suprised that I was not more upset about my hair, but I'm fine. I've been sporting a doo rag. I say let the journey begin because this is it. All of the fears of the unknown will soon be uncovered. How will I react to chemo? Will I be able to work? I already know about my hair. To say I am scared is an understatement. I'm more scared about Friday then tomorrow. All of the posts, especially those who are on the same cocktail (carboplatin, taxotere & Herceptin)have been reasurring, though I know we are all different. I need your prayers so much. I want to glorify God through this. I also want to get my life in a routine again. I have had so many phone calls, from Dr's offices, pharmacies, being pre-registered and on and on.
I give the same information over and over and over again. uggggh. I dont know how I will feel tomorrow, I hope to keep the anxiety down about Friday morning. Thanks to all of you for listening. Thanks for you support and prayers. I dont mean to be selfish, but I am praying that I dont have all of the bad side effects. Just scared!

Comments

• terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Pray for you
    rrogers34
    I will be praying for you throughout. I am new here and I have been very afraid of the unknown to. I am sure a lot of the ladies on here can tell you of their experiences that will ease your mind hopefully.I have to have a re excision to get a wider margin then I am having radiation and I am afraid of the radiation and taking Amiridex but I don't feel I have any choice.You are not being selfish at all. We all pray for ourselves along with praying for our sisters. May God be with you and carry you through your journey with strength and positive thoughts.
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    terri805 said:

Pray for you
    rrogers34
    I will be praying for you throughout. I am new here and I have been very afraid of the unknown to. I am sure a lot of the ladies on here can tell you of their experiences that will ease your mind hopefully.I have to have a re excision to get a wider margin then I am having radiation and I am afraid of the radiation and taking Amiridex but I don't feel I have any choice.You are not being selfish at all. We all pray for ourselves along with praying for our sisters. May God be with you and carry you through your journey with strength and positive thoughts.

Thank you
    I'm sorry to hear you have to have surgery again. I know that is scary too. Yes, the ladies here have eased my mind. I understand with radiation you just get tired. I will start that after the chemo. After all of this I will be on 5 year pill for post menopausal women. I am currently not menopausal, regular as always. they say the chemo will kick that out. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts as well. God is carrying me right now, because I could not handle this without him. God bless you,

Becky
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Rrogers34, you have the
    Rrogers34, you have the right attitude. Fear of the unknown is normal. Once you have had your first chemo and see what it's all about, it will hopefully add some normalcy to your life. I was one of the lucky ones and did not have really bad side effects; just some loss of taste and joint pain from the Nuelasta shot. But, I can say it is all very doable. We will all be there with you in spirit and holding your hand throughout your treatments. Take care.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Rrogers34, you have the
    Rrogers34, you have the right attitude. Fear of the unknown is normal. Once you have had your first chemo and see what it's all about, it will hopefully add some normalcy to your life. I was one of the lucky ones and did not have really bad side effects; just some loss of taste and joint pain from the Nuelasta shot. But, I can say it is all very doable. We will all be there with you in spirit and holding your hand throughout your treatments. Take care.

I fell off the curve from Gi
    I fell off the curve from Gi issues that aggravated a preexisting problem. otherwise I think I would have done well. no mouth sores, no terrible pain from neulasta etc... Remember its possible to do well. Alot of write when we are having problems so that might worry you some.
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    prayers are with you!!
    i just wanted to say it is a jouney for sure and you will get through it.. stay strong take your meds.. i was on taxofere & herceptin for 6 months was the toughiest time of my life but i never gave up and i pushed myself when i didnt think i could but i made it and so can you!!
    i had alot of side effects taking chemo (taxotere) i never had one problem with (herceptin) still taken herceptin every 3 weeks just as a precaution..
    i lost my hair 3 weeks after first treatment it was tough but knew it was gonna happen and it was just another day.. i have been off chemo now for almost 3 months and my new hair is growing in good!!! coming back different but thats a good thing cause i am different now im a survivor and thats the greatest feeling ever!!!
    prayers & hugs for you and just remember we love you and you can do this!!!
    take care and keep us informed..

brenda
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    brenda247 said:

prayers are with you!!
    i just wanted to say it is a jouney for sure and you will get through it.. stay strong take your meds.. i was on taxofere & herceptin for 6 months was the toughiest time of my life but i never gave up and i pushed myself when i didnt think i could but i made it and so can you!!
    i had alot of side effects taking chemo (taxotere) i never had one problem with (herceptin) still taken herceptin every 3 weeks just as a precaution..
    i lost my hair 3 weeks after first treatment it was tough but knew it was gonna happen and it was just another day.. i have been off chemo now for almost 3 months and my new hair is growing in good!!! coming back different but thats a good thing cause i am different now im a survivor and thats the greatest feeling ever!!!
    prayers & hugs for you and just remember we love you and you can do this!!!
    take care and keep us informed..

brenda

praying for you
    god will give you the strength you need to get through this!

:0) teresa
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    As much control as you can maintain . . .
    Becky, you are taking control of your own reactions by shaving off your hair on your own schedule rather than letting the chemo dictate when it goes. That is a manifestation of courage!

I sure know where you're coming from re the chemo--I couldn't sleep the night before, I was so nervous! It turned out not to be a big deal--lots of sitting and being patient. My sons went out and bought a deck of cards so we could pass the time playing games. Take a variety of things to do so you can change if you can't focus on one thing.

All those phone calls! One after another after another . . . I usually use caller ID to screen OUT numbers I don't recognize; now I tell my DH & DS, "Better answer it--it might be something about my treatment!" And over 90% of the time it is, though last night it was somebody wanting money for the firefighters. *sigh* I just handed the phone to my DH and he told them now isn't a good time.

We're thinking about you as you get the port put in today, and we'll be thinking about you tomorrow, too. Hang in there--this too shall pass!

Sandy
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    teresa41 said:

praying for you
    god will give you the strength you need to get through this!

:0) teresa

hi
    Sending you lots of hugs and prayers!

Megan