Help me decide

Options
aysemari
aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

I just got back from my first appointment with the oncologist and I have to do chemo, hormon pills and Herceptin.

I have stage 2, grade 2 and had a lumpectomy. My doc told me since I don't have lymph node involvement I can
do TCH = Taxo, Carbo and Herceptin or (as he put it) get the whole kitchen sink and get AC/TH= Adria, cytoxin,
Taxo and Herceptin.

This is me, I wouldn't even take an aspirin, so I am at a loss. Any advice or suggestions. Oh yeah I am 36, apparently
that plays a role in the decision making.

Every time I think I prepared myself mentally but they always find something to scare the bejezus out of me. My
doc wants to do a blood test to if it is gene related ( my sis fessed up and told me she had ovarian cancer). If it
is, it's going to be scary, as in masectomy a hysteracomy (probably misspelled both).

I would appreciate any comments.

Ayse

Comments

• LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    Have you had the Oncotype DX
    Have you had the Oncotype DX test run? You might ask the onco about it, as well as about the BRCA 1 & 2 gene tests, which may be the ones he's running to see if your cancer is gene-related.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this at such a young age, Ayse. It just seems so unfair sometimes, but I've always told my sons that life is neither fair nor unfair--it just is--and I still believe that. It is scary, though--having cancer is most definitely scary! I think it will be really good to get as much information as you can, which the oncologist seems to be trying to do through the testing, so that you and he can develop the best treatment plan for YOU.

I also understand about being a person who avoids taking drugs and now being told we have to take lots of really toxic drugs. *sigh* I've been telling myself that I avoided taking drugs for minor stuff, but that cancer is not minor stuff, and that taking drugs for something so major is not only necessary but smart. Not fun, though!

Hang in there. Hope you get more good info soon!

Sandy
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Ayse, I can sympathize with
    Ayse, I can sympathize with your situation -- bc is just so scary, even after the treatment, there are still so many worries. Trust your doctors and take it a day at a time; live each day to the fullest.

You have found a wonderful place here for support & check back often. Hugs & prayers sent your way...
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

Have you had the Oncotype DX
    Have you had the Oncotype DX test run? You might ask the onco about it, as well as about the BRCA 1 & 2 gene tests, which may be the ones he's running to see if your cancer is gene-related.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this at such a young age, Ayse. It just seems so unfair sometimes, but I've always told my sons that life is neither fair nor unfair--it just is--and I still believe that. It is scary, though--having cancer is most definitely scary! I think it will be really good to get as much information as you can, which the oncologist seems to be trying to do through the testing, so that you and he can develop the best treatment plan for YOU.

I also understand about being a person who avoids taking drugs and now being told we have to take lots of really toxic drugs. *sigh* I've been telling myself that I avoided taking drugs for minor stuff, but that cancer is not minor stuff, and that taking drugs for something so major is not only necessary but smart. Not fun, though!

Hang in there. Hope you get more good info soon!

Sandy

Hi Ayse
    I just finished the treatment your doctor is calling for. I had 4 rounds of AC and the day after each of the 4 treatments I had the, oh hech I forgot the name of the shot. I then had 12 rounds of taxol and the herceptin. make sure they give you anti nausea meds before starting the AC treatments. They gave me a drug called Emend and I also took a drug called zofran. I never got sick. About the 3rd day after this treatment I felt kinda like you are getting the flu with out the nausea. Tired, just need to rest a lot. It was doable. After that the Taxol and Herceptin I did not need any antinausea meds. I came through it just fine. Lost hair on day 14 after starting chemo and lost eye lashes and brows a month or so ago. I also had a lumpectomy before treatment. you said you did not use meds a whole lot. All I can say is your gonna make up for it all now LOL. It's a long journey, but it was doable. I have just started Rads.I still have the herceptin treatment every 3 weeks for a total of 52 rounds. I get a triple dose every 3 weeks. You have a lot of support here. I hope this helps you. Good luck
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Tux said:

Ayse, I can sympathize with
    Ayse, I can sympathize with your situation -- bc is just so scary, even after the treatment, there are still so many worries. Trust your doctors and take it a day at a time; live each day to the fullest.

You have found a wonderful place here for support & check back often. Hugs & prayers sent your way...

Why do you have to have
    Why do you have to have chemo? We will all help you get thru whatever you have to.

HUGS
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Decission.
    Hi,in me making my decisions on what to take and what treatment to do,I ask advice also.and most adviced me to take the cancer pill and all the treatments.because any chance even 1 PERCENT CHANCE of the beast known as Cancer not recuring is worth it.So that is what i did,I also wanted to know in my heart I did everything I possibly could to fight it.good luck to you.Love and Prayers(Pat).
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Hi Ayse. I had stage 2
    Hi Ayse. I had stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma. Notice I said 'had". I have to believe that I'm now cancer free and doing all I can to avoid a reoccurrence. Had a lumpectomy, and removal of lymph nodes because although my tumor was small it was aggressive and had already invaded the sentinel lymph node.

I had 4 A/C infusions, and have just had my first taxol infusion. This will be followed by radiation and then the 5 year pill.

Get the gene testing, it helps to determine how to approach things. We are each so unique and so many things factor into our specific treatment. find out all you can so you can choose the most appropriate plan of treatment for your particular circumstances.

I'm 66 for a few more days, so age factors in. I'm also ER+ but the numbers were too low, so the onc and I decided that chemo would give me at least 10 more good years. My prayers are with you as you make some very important decisions.
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    Options
    do
    My answer to your question is do what ever you have to do to live.I know i am fighting to the very end if my doctor tell me to go out to the river when its 20 outside and it would kill the cancer i would do it.i know it sound crazy but i plan on being here a long time and would do what ever it would take for it to happen.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I understand
    how you feel. I also avoid taking medication whenever possible, but we are in for the fight of our lives with this one, and, after receiving my Oncotype DX score of 20, which is in the intermediate range, I decided to go for the chemo, even though I could have chosen to skip it. My thought was that I'm "relatively" young (50) and in good shape otherwise so I felt I would be able to withstand and recover from the chemo now pretty well, whereas if I skipped it now and the cancer returned later I might not be as able to do so.

Just had my 2nd chemo of CT yesterday and am doing really well so far. The first round was not too bad at all, and I never had any nausea. I mostly feel like my normal self, and I'm glad I made the decision that I did.

Of course, some may choose differently, and it's definitely not wrong to do so. Just wanted to share my own thought process with a similar decision.

Best to you always,
    Cindy
  • teresasletters
    teresasletters Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello Ayse
    I understand your

Hello Ayse
    I understand your stress. I am 37 and I have two tumors and I will have surgery and immediate reconstruction next week. Many choices were thrown at me and is was a bit overwhelming. I will start chemo two weeks after surgery. I was told that due to my young age, like your age, they will treat with chemo very aggressively.
    I did already have the gene testing. I did that immediately after diagnosis as they told me I would need a hysterectomy as well if I had the gene. They scared me too. I have cancer AND you want to remove everything female related from my body!!! It was a lot to take in, but then again, they told me to do the testing at the same time as telling me I had cancer.
    The testing is easy, a simple blood test. It usually takes 2 - 4 weeks to get the results, but since mine was preop, I got the results in 6 days. If it was positive, they were going to remove both breasts and do a hysterectomy all in one surgery. I was very lucky that mine came back negative. After the fact I realized testing was a good idea as it helped me make treatment decisions. (I am only having one breast removed now, then chemo and hormone theraphy, followed by radiation.)
    As far as your chemo drugs, I am not that far into treatment yet, but I will pray for you and I hope the doctors give you good advice.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Hello Ayse
    I understand your

Hello Ayse
    I understand your stress. I am 37 and I have two tumors and I will have surgery and immediate reconstruction next week. Many choices were thrown at me and is was a bit overwhelming. I will start chemo two weeks after surgery. I was told that due to my young age, like your age, they will treat with chemo very aggressively.
    I did already have the gene testing. I did that immediately after diagnosis as they told me I would need a hysterectomy as well if I had the gene. They scared me too. I have cancer AND you want to remove everything female related from my body!!! It was a lot to take in, but then again, they told me to do the testing at the same time as telling me I had cancer.
    The testing is easy, a simple blood test. It usually takes 2 - 4 weeks to get the results, but since mine was preop, I got the results in 6 days. If it was positive, they were going to remove both breasts and do a hysterectomy all in one surgery. I was very lucky that mine came back negative. After the fact I realized testing was a good idea as it helped me make treatment decisions. (I am only having one breast removed now, then chemo and hormone theraphy, followed by radiation.)
    As far as your chemo drugs, I am not that far into treatment yet, but I will pray for you and I hope the doctors give you good advice.

Thanks a million!
    I feel better about everything today and coming to terms with things.

My oncologist just threw me such a curve ball yesterday with the gene thing but
    I have now processed it and am being a busy beaver researching the different
    drugs.

So thanks again, for your support - I can always depend on you.

sending hugs,

Ayse
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Thanks a million!
    I feel better about everything today and coming to terms with things.

My oncologist just threw me such a curve ball yesterday with the gene thing but
    I have now processed it and am being a busy beaver researching the different
    drugs.

So thanks again, for your support - I can always depend on you.

sending hugs,

Ayse

One day at a time one thing
    One day at a time one thing at a time too overwhelming to think about it all at one time. think about it in little pieces. Also if you are uncomfortable you can get a second opinion.