Implant Surgery ~the big switcherooo. What to expect?

geochick
geochick Member Posts: 18 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So, I will have surgery scheduled within a week. My tissue expanders are full and time for the silicone implants switch.

Anyone who's had the second reconstruction surgery......
Can you tell me what to expect?

Is it as hard as the double mast/tissue expander deal?

I am nervous and scared to ask the dr what to expect for fear that I may break down in the office.

Thanks Friends!!

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Hi geochick! I had a
    Hi geochick! I had a lumpectomy, but, I wanted to wish you good luck. I know that other bc sisters that have had your surgery will post to you.

HUGS
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

Hi geochick! I had a
    Hi geochick! I had a lumpectomy, but, I wanted to wish you good luck. I know that other bc sisters that have had your surgery will post to you.

HUGS

My experience
    My experience with the exchange:
    The silicone implants are softer than the tissue expanders which make your boobs feel like rocks. The silicone implants feel more natural.

I had my exchange 11/10 and everything is great.

You will do just fine.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

My experience
    My experience with the exchange:
    The silicone implants are softer than the tissue expanders which make your boobs feel like rocks. The silicone implants feel more natural.

I had my exchange 11/10 and everything is great.

You will do just fine.

Hugs,
    Margo

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery!

Sue :)
  • tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44
    I asked other patients at my
    I asked other patients at my plastic surgeon's office and every one of them said that it was a "non event" and that this "switcheroo surgery" was really easy. He does these (outpatient) surgeries on Fridays and all the women were back to work on Monday.

Mine is scheduled for Feb. 5th and, like you, I'm getting silicone implants. I'm a little nervous about them leaking, though, but I just REALLY don't want saline implants if they'll feel like rocks like the tissue expander does.

I wish you a successful surgery!
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    tigger99 said:

I asked other patients at my
    I asked other patients at my plastic surgeon's office and every one of them said that it was a "non event" and that this "switcheroo surgery" was really easy. He does these (outpatient) surgeries on Fridays and all the women were back to work on Monday.

Mine is scheduled for Feb. 5th and, like you, I'm getting silicone implants. I'm a little nervous about them leaking, though, but I just REALLY don't want saline implants if they'll feel like rocks like the tissue expander does.

I wish you a successful surgery!

Leaking
    Leaking rarely happens and the implants are not like they were years ago. The sooner you notice a difference in the look in them like one seems flatter than the other you need to see you plastic surgeon so they can see you and order an MRI to see if it is in fact leaking. This is what my plastic surgeon told me.

You will like the silicone implants much better and yes you will be able to lay on you tummy and not feel your head in the air.

I will remember your surgery date three days after my birthday.

Best of luck.
    Hugs,
    Margo
  • geochick

Leaking
    Leaking rarely happens and the implants are not like they were years ago. The sooner you notice a difference in the look in them like one seems flatter than the other you need to see you plastic surgeon so they can see you and order an MRI to see if it is in fact leaking. This is what my plastic surgeon told me.

You will like the silicone implants much better and yes you will be able to lay on you tummy and not feel your head in the air.

I will remember your surgery date three days after my birthday.

Best of luck.
    Hugs,
    Margo

I was given 2 months
    I was given 2 months reprive. So now, the big to do list will begin.

My doctor told me I will have drains, but nothing at all like the last one.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    geochick said:

I was given 2 months
    I was given 2 months reprive. So now, the big to do list will begin.

My doctor told me I will have drains, but nothing at all like the last one.

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck to you geochick!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • geochick
    susie09 said:

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck to you geochick!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Thanks so much. I have 2
    Thanks so much. I have 2 months to wait and do all those little things around the house.
  • geochick
    geochick said:

Thanks so much. I have 2
    Thanks so much. I have 2 months to wait and do all those little things around the house.

breast reconstruction
    I had to come back and report on the reconstructive breast surgery. I always felt hanging as a 'reader of these boards' and always wanted more information.

My reconstruction was March 15 and I am 12 days post op. It was a relatively easy surgery by comparison to the double mastectomy & tissue expanders. I had day surgery, 2 hours of surgery + 4 hours of recovery and then WENT HOME.

In the words of my kids favorite cartoon, Wow Wow Wubbzy, I must saw "Wowwy wow wow!" I was shocked. The pain was minimal and managed well with the meds, and I literally slept for 3 days at home in the peaceful environment of my bedroom.

5 days later, no pain meds needed. Tubes were out after 11 days, that was the hardest part probably. But the implants are wonderfully soft compared to the tissue expanders.

I am still unable to drive, but so thankful that I have crossed the Finish line.
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    geochick said:

breast reconstruction
    I had to come back and report on the reconstructive breast surgery. I always felt hanging as a 'reader of these boards' and always wanted more information.

My reconstruction was March 15 and I am 12 days post op. It was a relatively easy surgery by comparison to the double mastectomy & tissue expanders. I had day surgery, 2 hours of surgery + 4 hours of recovery and then WENT HOME.

In the words of my kids favorite cartoon, Wow Wow Wubbzy, I must saw "Wowwy wow wow!" I was shocked. The pain was minimal and managed well with the meds, and I literally slept for 3 days at home in the peaceful environment of my bedroom.

5 days later, no pain meds needed. Tubes were out after 11 days, that was the hardest part probably. But the implants are wonderfully soft compared to the tissue expanders.

I am still unable to drive, but so thankful that I have crossed the Finish line.

DRIVE TIME
    I AM WAITING TO HEAR WHEN MY SURGERY DATE IS, FOR EXCHANGE ON RIGHT SIDE AND LIFT ON LEFT SIDE, I HAD NOT EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO DRIVE....FOR HOW LONG ARE YOU NOT SUPPOSED TO DRIVE? I WILL ASK MY PS THE NEXT TIME I SPEAK TO HIM...
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950

DRIVE TIME
    I AM WAITING TO HEAR WHEN MY SURGERY DATE IS, FOR EXCHANGE ON RIGHT SIDE AND LIFT ON LEFT SIDE, I HAD NOT EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO DRIVE....FOR HOW LONG ARE YOU NOT SUPPOSED TO DRIVE? I WILL ASK MY PS THE NEXT TIME I SPEAK TO HIM...

Hey Lizziejane
    I just had my

Hey Lizziejane
    I just had my right expander exchange for the implant a couple of week ago...it was a simple matter of popping the expander out and the implant in and no trouble driving ...only told not to lift more than 10 lbs. so the pocket will heal. I will have my reduction on the left breat at the end of April. That one might be a little tougher....
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Congrats!
    I'm thrilled for you to be done with the reconstruction! And, I'm glad to get this info on how long the procedure took and so forth. Thanks for the thread.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member

DRIVE TIME

Driving and drugs
    lizziejane, I have the impression that whether you can drive or not at any time during your breast cancer treatment is dependent on how drugged you are from pain or other meds. If you're not sleeping well, that might also be a factor. Earlier, after my mastectomy, I wasn't able to turn and look over my shoulder very well, so I was reluctant to drive for that reason, too.
  • geochick

DRIVE TIME

I am 4 weeks post op from
    I am 4 weeks post op from the reconstructive surgery and drove at 3 weeks. I am still not lifting or vaccuming, but that's okay. Good luck to you.
  • blabrn1
    blabrn1 Member Posts: 10

Congrats!
    I'm thrilled for you to be done with the reconstruction! And, I'm glad to get this info on how long the procedure took and so forth. Thanks for the thread.

thanks
    Thanks for sharing how it went for you. I just had my expanders completely filled last week. She says I need to wait at least 4 weeks for the silicone implants, but it will be more like 8 to 10 weeks because I'm going to work for the Census. So, I will be doing the implants some time in June most likely. She didn't think I'd have drains..I hope not. Again, thanks for sharing...it's less anxiety producing just knowing what to expect.