Back from doctor

tat2granny
tat2granny Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
He says I have stage 1 bc, just because the size. Man that at least was good news! Only 1.3cm and now the big decision. Lumpectomy or mastectomy? I am going to talk to a plastic surgeon before I make any decisions! I have fears about both. Would you suggest sitting down and listing the pros and cons of each? How does someone make that kind of decision? How did you ladies make it? I'd love to hear. Thanks so much for answering all the questions I have asked, all of you have helped so much,,and I need your advise now.

Comments

• boppel
    boppel Member Posts: 26
    granny
    Hi granny, I have had both, mastectomy one time and chemo, lumpectomy the second time, chemo and radiation. My surgeon wanted to do lumpectomy the first time, but I was sooooo scared, did not know to much , although everything was explained to me, I had no one to talk to, so I had a mastectomy, stage one, 1.7 cm. One year later I had tram flap reconstuction. My only regret was that I waited the year for the reconstruction, should have done that all in one. Again my ignorance and having nobody yo talk to. Its been a long time since all that happened (1998 and 2001) I am fine so far, I wish you well, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. em
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    I was dx with Stage 2. Mine
    I was dx with Stage 2. Mine was under 1cm but aggressive and had invaded the sentinel lymph node. I got 2 other opinions before making my decision. I had a lumpectomy. when the surgical oncologist told me that even with a mastectomy the cancer could reoccur in the wall cavity my mind was made. I'm 66 and age was also a factor. 2 different oncologists encouraged the lumpectomy.

Best wishes as you make your decisions.
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    hi
    mine was stage 2 size was 2.2cm i had a lumpectomy for me i decided on my gut feeling and the surgeon also talked with me on the chances were just as good with the lumpectomy as the masectomy.

best of luck to you on the decision.

:o).teresa
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    natly15 said:

I was dx with Stage 2. Mine was under 1cm but aggressive and had invaded the sentinel lymph node. I got 2 other opinions before making my decision. I had a lumpectomy. when the surgical oncologist told me that even with a mastectomy the cancer could reoccur in the wall cavity my mind was made. I'm 66 and age was also a factor. 2 different oncologists encouraged the lumpectomy.

IT's funny how each doctor gives different opinions
    Mine was Stage 2, only 1.5cm but in 8 of 9 lymph nodes so when I asked the surgeon what he would do if i were his wife he said Mastectomy because then you would never have to worry about it coming back to that breast.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    natly15 said:

I had a lumpectomy followed
    I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation and I am very glad that was open to me. I wanted to keep my breast. I was told that the survival and chance of a recurrence is the same almost with a lumpectomy and rads as with a mastectomy. You can never remove all of the breast tissue, even with a mastectomy. I think everyone has to decide what is best for them. I could never even imagine losing my breast. I wish you good luck!

Angie
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I had a hard time making the
    I had a hard time making the decision, too. Mine was stage 2, invasive ductal carcinoma, ER and PR positive and Her2 negative. At first, I was afraid and thought if I just had a mastectomy the cancer would be gone and I wouldn't have to go through this again. I was at that time thinking about having both breasts removed. I met with my oncologist and she highly recommended a lumpectomy. I asked many questions and left thinking I'd go that route. I spent days going back and forth with my decision. I was making myself, along with my family, crazy. Finally, I told myself I was making my final decision and sat down and went through the pro's and con's and made the decision to have the lumpectomy. I didn't question my decision again and went forward with the treatments. I finished chemo on October 15th and my radiation on December 24th. I'm glad that part is over and now I will meet with my onco to begin the 5-year pill. More than likely that will be Arimidex. I'm trying to do all I can to beat this beast and continue on with my life. It's been a blessing to have the support of the women here and made it easier to know there are others that share in the ups and downs. Good luck and only you can make that final decision. Go with your gut feeling, I know I finally did in the end.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

I had a hard time making the
    I had a hard time making the decision, too. Mine was stage 2, invasive ductal carcinoma, ER and PR positive and Her2 negative. At first, I was afraid and thought if I just had a mastectomy the cancer would be gone and I wouldn't have to go through this again. I was at that time thinking about having both breasts removed. I met with my oncologist and she highly recommended a lumpectomy. I asked many questions and left thinking I'd go that route. I spent days going back and forth with my decision. I was making myself, along with my family, crazy. Finally, I told myself I was making my final decision and sat down and went through the pro's and con's and made the decision to have the lumpectomy. I didn't question my decision again and went forward with the treatments. I finished chemo on October 15th and my radiation on December 24th. I'm glad that part is over and now I will meet with my onco to begin the 5-year pill. More than likely that will be Arimidex. I'm trying to do all I can to beat this beast and continue on with my life. It's been a blessing to have the support of the women here and made it easier to know there are others that share in the ups and downs. Good luck and only you can make that final decision. Go with your gut feeling, I know I finally did in the end.

If you have a choice, then
    If you have a choice, then it comes down to what you want. Some women don't have a choice due to the size of their tumor or if it has spread. My breasts are a big part of me, a big part of my sexual being, so, I was thrilled when my oncologist and plastic surgeon said that a lumpectomy with rads was all that I needed. I was also suppose to be on tamox, but, I haven't started taking the pill yet and may not. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Leeza
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    jnl said:

If you have a choice, then
    If you have a choice, then it comes down to what you want. Some women don't have a choice due to the size of their tumor or if it has spread. My breasts are a big part of me, a big part of my sexual being, so, I was thrilled when my oncologist and plastic surgeon said that a lumpectomy with rads was all that I needed. I was also suppose to be on tamox, but, I haven't started taking the pill yet and may not. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Leeza

Thanks
    To everyone,,I am leaning more towards Lumpectomy just because I think if they don't get it all they can always go back. It's easier to go back and cut more off than it is to cut too much,,they can't put it back.lol I'll let everyone know the final choice asap. Thanks again to you all,, I'm so glad I have all of you here.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Thanks
    To everyone,,I am leaning more towards Lumpectomy just because I think if they don't get it all they can always go back. It's easier to go back and cut more off than it is to cut too much,,they can't put it back.lol I'll let everyone know the final choice asap. Thanks again to you all,, I'm so glad I have all of you here.

We are here for you!
    Wishing you good luck with your decision! I had a lumpectomy with rads and am very pleased that is all that I had to have.

Sue :)
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867

Thanks

Tat2Granny ♥
    I just want to offer my good luck wishes to you and I am sure you will make the right decision for yourself!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Tat2!
    I also had stage 1 - had a lumpectomy and then 6 rounds of chemo and 36 rads. I never even considered a mastectomy since he told me that it had not spread out of the area and the lymph nodes were clear.
    Hugs - Pat
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    padee6339 said:

Hi Tat2!
    I also had stage 1 - had a lumpectomy and then 6 rounds of chemo and 36 rads. I never even considered a mastectomy since he told me that it had not spread out of the area and the lymph nodes were clear.
    Hugs - Pat

I am stage 1 too and had
    I am stage 1 too and had clean nodes, so, my plastic surgeon and oncologist recommended a lumpectomy followed by rads. The survival and recurrence rate is the same as with a mastectomy.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    I had almost the exact same
    decision to make that you do now. My tumor was also 1.3 cm, and I opted for the lumpectomy with ratiation. My surgeon told me that the survival and recurrence rates for that vs. a mastectomy are the same. My choice was based on wanting to keep the sensation in my breast that I would lose if I opted for the mastectomy. My surgery was in October, and I'm now going through chemo and will start my radiation after that's finished.

There have been a few times that I've second-guessed myself, just because if I'd chosen the mastectomy I wouldn't have to do the radiation, and I could be done with my treatment sooner, but then I'd have had a more difficult time with the recovery from the surgery to deal with as well. With my lumpectomy, I was only off of work for 2 weeks, which worked out well for me.

Overall, I believe I made the right decision for me. I wish you the best with your decision and journey ahead. Let us know how we can help, and we'll be here for you.

Take care,
    Cindy