Options
2»

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Breast cancer and melanoma
    My oncologist and dermatologist told me that women who have had breast cancer have a slightly greater risk of developing melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer. That is why I will be having my first full body skin check sometime in the next few weeks. You don't want melanoma to advance because it can be bad as Stef says. I figure the body checks are minimal discomfort for the peace of mind of knowing that there isn't something lurking on my skin. Also, ask your opthamologist to check for ocular melanoma (rare form of skin cancer on the eyeball) when you go for your yearly eye exam. These are all simple procedures that require no radiation or invasivness, so the benefits are worth it, I think. Thanks, Stef, for educating us on skin cancer.

Mimi,
    He checks my eyes

Mimi,

He checks my eyes because sebaceous carcinomas are often found there. They can mimic other ocular disorders and they are particularly aggressive and prone to mets there. Probably because there are so many blood vessels in the eyes for cells to travel on. That was good that you are reminding others and I didn't know about the melanoma connection. I think it is wise if all breast ladies request a full skin evaulation. They do so many other tests, CT scans, Pet scans, MRI, etc. that including a skin review seems like a good idea. So thank you right back for your (as always) valuable input.
    Stef
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Mimi,
    He checks my eyes

Mimi,

He checks my eyes because sebaceous carcinomas are often found there. They can mimic other ocular disorders and they are particularly aggressive and prone to mets there. Probably because there are so many blood vessels in the eyes for cells to travel on. That was good that you are reminding others and I didn't know about the melanoma connection. I think it is wise if all breast ladies request a full skin evaulation. They do so many other tests, CT scans, Pet scans, MRI, etc. that including a skin review seems like a good idea. So thank you right back for your (as always) valuable input.
    Stef

Thanks for this info about
    Thanks for this info about our eyes. I didn't know that.

Sue :)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    WOOHOO!
    A big high five to you Stef for being so brave and for the great results! I cancelled my last dermatologist appt., as, I just wasn't ready. I guess I need to reschedule it. Once again, so happy for your good news!

Lex♥
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

WOOHOO!
    A big high five to you Stef for being so brave and for the great results! I cancelled my last dermatologist appt., as, I just wasn't ready. I guess I need to reschedule it. Once again, so happy for your good news!

Lex♥

LexYes, reschedule that
    Lex

Yes, reschedule that appointment. Most of the time there is nothing there to worry about, but if there is you want it caught early. Delay is not a good thing. Don't think of yourself as brave, but smart. And I know you are a smart lady.

Marcia,
    Love the Dr Who thing. I just told my hubby I wanted to be sand blasted (like doing a spray on tan) and start over with all new skin. LOL

Stef
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Mama G said:

I believe going through the chemo....
    will take away the skin cancer, right? Just a sideline to this post, but a BONUS to those of us who are worried about all that sun worshiping we did when we were younger coming back to haunt us.

Mama G - Nope!
    Asked my doctor and she says no....whole different thing - damn!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

LexYes, reschedule that
    Lex

Yes, reschedule that appointment. Most of the time there is nothing there to worry about, but if there is you want it caught early. Delay is not a good thing. Don't think of yourself as brave, but smart. And I know you are a smart lady.

Marcia,
    Love the Dr Who thing. I just told my hubby I wanted to be sand blasted (like doing a spray on tan) and start over with all new skin. LOL

Stef

Congrats Stef on the very
    Congrats Stef on the very good news. Your doctor sounds great and is going to keep a very good eye on you. I am laughing at your sandblasting idea. LOL

HUGS
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

All is Gone and Good!
    So glad, Steff, that you didn't have to go through an excision or the other more painful options. Poor Joe looked awful with all the spots where he got the freezing spray. I felt so badly for him, and he was stoic about it. Your dermatologist sounds wonderful, very thorough and taking no chances. It's very reassuring to know you're being monitored so well.

Since you did it, I guess I will call my PCP and get a referral for a body scan, too. Like Mimi. You are an awesome "big sister" who sets a great example for us--but I ain't looking forward to that scan, either.

Offering my congrats to you
    Offering my congrats to you too Stef on the good news! I need to get my body checked too. Now you reminded me.

Megan