Bilateral mastectomy tomorrow -- now I'm getting scared.

Options
SherryAF
SherryAF Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know this is the right decision for me. I will be having bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using free TRAM flap procedure. But the last couple of days I have been very nervous, and today I feel like things are racing inside my body. I know it will end up okay, but I wish this day would go by quickly.

Comments

• TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    It will be okay
    Hi Sherry,
    I felt the same exact way you are feeling now when I had my surgery. Everything is going to be okay. Nervous is normal. Try to do a little something for yourself today to divert your thoughts. Watch a funny show on television, read a book, hot bath, go out shopping with a friend, just something to make your mind wander. Before you know it tomorrow will be here and you will be leaving for the hospital. I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Go out and enjoy your day today! :-)
    Tracey
  • jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    Options
    totally normal
    You are having totally normal feelings....I actually held up until I was in the pre-operating room, left all by myself for a bit, and that's when I broke down.......

Believe me, you will come out just fine......have a speedy recovery; enjoy the rest and relaxation and don't over extend yourself when you are home.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.....

Jill
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    jikaras said:

totally normal
    You are having totally normal feelings....I actually held up until I was in the pre-operating room, left all by myself for a bit, and that's when I broke down.......

Believe me, you will come out just fine......have a speedy recovery; enjoy the rest and relaxation and don't over extend yourself when you are home.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.....

Jill

I had the same surgeries in
    I had the same surgeries in April, and I'm doing very well. I did have to have a modification of one breast (to reduce to be same size as the other), which I had done last week, along with nipples. It's quite a long recovery, but it's definitely worth it. Just be sure to take care of yourself, and follow your doctor's orders. One of the best things about immediate reconstruction with the free flap, is that you wake up from surgery with breasts, so I didn't have as much of a sense of loss that I would have had with just the mastectomy.

Take care and best wishes for your surgeries tomorrow.

Joyce
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    jk1952 said:

I had the same surgeries in
    I had the same surgeries in April, and I'm doing very well. I did have to have a modification of one breast (to reduce to be same size as the other), which I had done last week, along with nipples. It's quite a long recovery, but it's definitely worth it. Just be sure to take care of yourself, and follow your doctor's orders. One of the best things about immediate reconstruction with the free flap, is that you wake up from surgery with breasts, so I didn't have as much of a sense of loss that I would have had with just the mastectomy.

Take care and best wishes for your surgeries tomorrow.

Joyce

good thoughts and prayers
    Good thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Margo
  • Tinabug
    Tinabug Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Hang Tough
    Hi Sherry,

I had a bilateral mastectomy on Nov. 23 with expanders. It's been 6 weeks today & I am feeling great. It wasn't near as bad as I had anticipated. Don't overdo it & listen to your doctor. I was terrifed of waking up without breasts, but I just keep telling myself the cancer left with my breasts. I wish you the best & you will be in my prayers.

God Bless You,
    Tina
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Tinabug said:

Hang Tough
    Hi Sherry,

I had a bilateral mastectomy on Nov. 23 with expanders. It's been 6 weeks today & I am feeling great. It wasn't near as bad as I had anticipated. Don't overdo it & listen to your doctor. I was terrifed of waking up without breasts, but I just keep telling myself the cancer left with my breasts. I wish you the best & you will be in my prayers.

God Bless You,
    Tina

Hang in there
    Good luck!! Everyone will be here for you. Let us know.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Tinabug said:

Hang Tough
    Hi Sherry,

God Bless You,
    Tina

Sherry .. Best Wishes .. I am right behine you ..
    Bi-lateral mastectomy is scheduled for 1/12/10 .. with expanders. I have one more week of waiting .. nervous and anxious ..

The stories I hear .. are alarming .. So THANK YOU, MISS TINA BUG .. for the warm wishes and good news regarding your personal journey - bilateral mastectomy.

VickiSam