Options
2»

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Zhentup said:

Nothing like a New England Winter...
    There's nothing like a New England winter to introduce you quickly to hats! Being a Maine-iac from way back, I have hats but I didn't think the knitted variety would be warm enough, not without a hat liner anyway. I have some fleece ones which are wonderful outside. I found my head got chilly at night so I put on one of the flannel ones I bought on EBay a month or so ago.

I think this is the most fun part of chemo! Trying on hats of different styles and just plain having a good time with it.

I'm keeping my expectations of regrowth vary open. I know it won't grow back quickly after the chemo and I'm not sure what kind of effect the radiation may have. It will be nice and short for summer and I expect to have some kind of an insulation layer by next winter.

The enjoyment of having at least one aspect of chemo that I could have control over was empowering for me!

Leanne

I also buzzed my head prior
    I also buzzed my head prior to it falling out, prob 3 weeks into chemo. I really didnt cry or anything, but I definately waited until I was ready. My H kept saying its going to happen you should do it but I did it when I wanted to.and that is very important to me The lady who did was the same lady who did the wig in a private room. She does this for many cancer pts. I am pretty reserved so i would not have a party, but I think its awesome the people who do. One thing I have learned is that you need to be true to yourself and part of recovery is taking care of yourself and doing what speaks to you. In my life i have spent too much time bending to others and putting them before myself.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Hi Leanne
    Mine took about one week - of course I did have some help with a buzzzz....because I didn't want all that hair down the drain..so I buzzed it to about 1/16" of an inch. It was coming out by the handfuls!
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Hair loss.
    Hi Leanne.I am sorry you have to go thru. this.It was one of the hardest things for me.I cryed for days.The wonderful sisters on this sight helped me thru. it.Just try to remember it isn,t permanent.Mine started like yours,and whith in 3days it was comming out in handfuls.It was so scary for me.i did what some of the ladys recomended and took charge and shaved it.It felt so good to take charge and shave it.It was the end of sept. and my brows came back,my eyelashes just now came out.I just had my brows done today.And she looked at my stuble of hair and said to come back in a month.And we probley can trim it up.And even color it.I am very happy about that.So it will come back.Good luck to you.I will say a special prayer for you.Keep us posted on how you are please.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • Zhentup
    Zhentup Member Posts: 43
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Hair loss.
    Hi Leanne.I am sorry you have to go thru. this.It was one of the hardest things for me.I cryed for days.The wonderful sisters on this sight helped me thru. it.Just try to remember it isn,t permanent.Mine started like yours,and whith in 3days it was comming out in handfuls.It was so scary for me.i did what some of the ladys recomended and took charge and shaved it.It felt so good to take charge and shave it.It was the end of sept. and my brows came back,my eyelashes just now came out.I just had my brows done today.And she looked at my stuble of hair and said to come back in a month.And we probley can trim it up.And even color it.I am very happy about that.So it will come back.Good luck to you.I will say a special prayer for you.Keep us posted on how you are please.Love and Prayers.(Pat).

Thank you Pat
    Actually it feels quite comfortable. I really like that my scalp doesn't hurt anymore! I enjoyed that I took charge of my feelings about it rather than let it happen and upset me. There are enough things going on that could be heartbreaking but I refuse to be taken down by them. I'm not sure how much hair I'll lose, or when it will grow back, but that is the least of my concerns right now. My second chemo treatment is Friday and my white blood cells are down so that's my first concern now. My prayers are that they will get a boost because I don't want to skip any treatments-I prefer to stay right on schedule-God willing!

Take care,
    Leanne
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    Zhentup said:

Thank you Pat
    Actually it feels quite comfortable. I really like that my scalp doesn't hurt anymore! I enjoyed that I took charge of my feelings about it rather than let it happen and upset me. There are enough things going on that could be heartbreaking but I refuse to be taken down by them. I'm not sure how much hair I'll lose, or when it will grow back, but that is the least of my concerns right now. My second chemo treatment is Friday and my white blood cells are down so that's my first concern now. My prayers are that they will get a boost because I don't want to skip any treatments-I prefer to stay right on schedule-God willing!

Take care,
    Leanne

YES!
    You & I are on the same wavelength, Leanne! I am so glad I took charge of my feelings about it, too, and made it fun and full of support.

My WBC count was a little low, too--the dr. said it was probably because I was taking Keflex to prevent wound infection after the chemo port insertion. I hope she's right and that my WBC bounces back really fast! I don't want to skip any treatments, either!

Sounds like you're just about two weeks ahead of me--are you doing a dose-dense every-two-week regimen? That's what I'm doing.

God willing, we will *both* stay on schedule!

Sandy
  • Zhentup
    Zhentup Member Posts: 43
    Options

YES!
    You & I are on the same wavelength, Leanne! I am so glad I took charge of my feelings about it, too, and made it fun and full of support.

My WBC count was a little low, too--the dr. said it was probably because I was taking Keflex to prevent wound infection after the chemo port insertion. I hope she's right and that my WBC bounces back really fast! I don't want to skip any treatments, either!

Sounds like you're just about two weeks ahead of me--are you doing a dose-dense every-two-week regimen? That's what I'm doing.

God willing, we will *both* stay on schedule!

Sandy

Sandy
    Mine are every 3 weeks. I had my port put in about 2 1/2 weeks before chemo started so healing was well on its way. When I have my labs done Thursday they will decide whether or not to give me the drug they give for lowered WBC on Friday-can't remember the name of it.

My prayers tonight are that all of us can keep on schedule and better fight the beast!

Take care,
    Leanne