ALH with "no surprises" on MRI

Options
Myshell
Myshell Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with atypical lobular hyperplasia in Dec. Had an MRI which showed "no surprises"..so I guess no new areas of concern. I am scheduled for an excisional biopsy of the 2 areas of microcalcifications on January 23rd.

My question is if my MRI came back negative is there still a decent chance they can find something more than ALH on the biopsy? I think I should "feel" great knowing my MRI is negative but..today I'm really tearful just thinking about it all and considering Tamoxifen for 5 years and my increase risk of cancer over the next 15 years and over my lifetime. And the chances that there will be something more on the biopsy.
ugh..
I know I don't have a cancer diagnosis and I should be very happy..and I am, but it's the waiting and not knowing and the thought of "living" with this hanging over my head that is upsetting me. I'm concerned about the tamoxifen as well.
Thanks for any input.

Comments

• marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi. I don't have any
    Hi. I don't have any answers to your questions, but I know you will get some great info from others. I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and waiting is one of the hardest parts. You are doing the right thing in learning all you can about your situation. We are stronger than we think and have faith that we will be ok, no matter what. Take care. Marilyn
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Welcome to the site!
    The simple answer to your question is yes, your tissue samples from your excision could come back w/cancer. They will send the whole piece they take out to pathology for review. My situation was similar in that I had biopsy results that showed "abnormal cells" but not cancer. The recommendation was for me to have an excision of this area, and in the tissue that was removed they found a small 4mm tumor. Everyone really thought we were just doing what was necessary and that all would be negative. Even the surgeon was blown away that they found cancer. Got my results in about 5 days. As many women on the site will tell you, I never thought I would have someone telling me I had BC.

Hope I didn't scare you, my prayer for you is a simple excision and then good news w/the pathology. Better to know going in though, at least that's what I think.

Best of luck w/your excision...let us know how things turn out.

God Bless...
    jbug
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    jbug said:

Welcome to the site!
    The simple answer to your question is yes, your tissue samples from your excision could come back w/cancer. They will send the whole piece they take out to pathology for review. My situation was similar in that I had biopsy results that showed "abnormal cells" but not cancer. The recommendation was for me to have an excision of this area, and in the tissue that was removed they found a small 4mm tumor. Everyone really thought we were just doing what was necessary and that all would be negative. Even the surgeon was blown away that they found cancer. Got my results in about 5 days. As many women on the site will tell you, I never thought I would have someone telling me I had BC.

Hope I didn't scare you, my prayer for you is a simple excision and then good news w/the pathology. Better to know going in though, at least that's what I think.

Best of luck w/your excision...let us know how things turn out.

God Bless...
    jbug

the good news would be...
    that they caught it early when it's curable. Good luck and hopefully it will come back clean and clear!