sent home 4 hours after the start of surgery!!!

Options
crselby
crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just wanted to share a story with you. I have a friend, a public school Montessori teacher, who had a hysterectomy before Christmas. When I was visiting her two days ago, I learned that a woman who shares my friend's house (along with the woman's husband) went in for a sngle, simple mastectomy yesterday at 7 AM and was home by 11!!!!!!! This woman is very private and has only talked to her bishop's wife, who is also a mastectomy survivor, about her surgery. When I briefly chatted with her as I was visiting my friend (the day before this mastectomy), she didn't know there might be 'drains' or that she might need button down shirts as she might not be able to raise her arm. I am so sad for her. My friend, who can't be of much help as you can imagine, says the breast cancer patient's husband does a wonderful job of Serving his wife, but, come on... this woman needed more information. I just am angry at her doctors. Of course I don't know the whole situation and would give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks for letting me vent ... especially to women who would understand the details of this kind of situation.
~~Connie~~

Comments

• lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous. Sent
    That is ridiculous. Sent home after only 4 hours for a mastectomy? I believe there was an elderly woman in the hosp when I was there for my hernia, they figured I'd be home after 4 or 5 hours for that, but when the Dr. couldn't find it where he opened me up and had to re-open me, I was there for 2 days. He said he wouldn't send me home until I felt up to it.Back to the elderly woman with the simple mastectomy, I believe she went home the next day. So she stayed at least overnight.

When I had my lumpectomy, I also had the sentinel node removed, my Dr. said if he needed to put a drain in, I'd be overnight, I didn't need one, the node was clear, surgery was at 1:30, i was leaving to come home by 5:00 pm feeling great, no pain at all! Just kept ice on it 15 mins an hour until I went to bed. took one extra strength Tylenol.
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    Options
    thats so sad...her Dr is
    thats so sad...her Dr is very unprofessional... I feel for this woman... I hope everything else goes well for her.... Lisa
  • debbie1162
    debbie1162 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    I came home same day
    I had a mast out of town 1 1/2 hr away from home and I was home before supper. When I had breast reduction and implant swap, it was the same. NO OVERNIGHT STAY!
  • crselby
    Options

I came home same day
    I had a mast out of town 1 1/2 hr away from home and I was home before supper. When I had breast reduction and implant swap, it was the same. NO OVERNIGHT STAY!

and.....?
    And I'd like to know how you feel/felt about that, Debbie.
    ~~Connie~~
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Drive through Mastectomy
    Thats what I heard they are trying to stop. I was told it's the insurance company's doing this. As far as the women not getting any information from her doctor about what to wear and stuff. My doctors nurse is the one that filled me in, as well as an instruction sheet. I guess her doctors felt don't ask don't tell. That really terrible.
  • debbie1162
    Options
    crselby said:

and.....?
    And I'd like to know how you feel/felt about that, Debbie.
    ~~Connie~~

I think offended
    would be a great way to put it. I felt like they cut a part of me off and sent me home (1 1/2 hours away)with no profession care.
  • crselby
    Options

I think offended
    would be a great way to put it. I felt like they cut a part of me off and sent me home (1 1/2 hours away)with no profession care.

sorry
    I am so sorry that you were treated so badly. You do not deserve such inconsiderate treatment. I am sorry that you got caught between the insurance and medical systems that put money and profit before the sanctity of individual life. Hopefully you are wiser as a result and "fore-warned is fore-armed"!
  • debbie1162
    Options
    crselby said:

sorry
    I am so sorry that you were treated so badly. You do not deserve such inconsiderate treatment. I am sorry that you got caught between the insurance and medical systems that put money and profit before the sanctity of individual life. Hopefully you are wiser as a result and "fore-warned is fore-armed"!

I am past it.....
    I have great family who took great care of me. But it should not happen to anyone in the future. We do need to fight sending people home the same day.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A Different Way to Look at It
    I had an outpatient mastectomy too, but my experience was way different. My hospital spent time instructing me BEFORE the operation so I would know just what to do and what was going to happen. One hour was spent teaching me exercises I could do starting the day after I got home. Another hour was spent on handling drains, bras, and pain meds. Another hour was on what the operation would be like.

The operation went like a charm. I was able to eat and go to the bathroom before I left (a requirement of theirs). I was given a bag with not one but two bras and "stuffing" so that I could leave the hospital looking good in street clothes. They told me I would feel like eating out that night for dinner. I was sure they were crazy. They weren't. I really did want to eat out. My hospital was 100 miles from home, but we picked the Burger King instead of the fancy restaurant so I could get home in time to say good night to my son. I can't tell you how good it felt to be home and back to "normal life" so soon.

I have had friends that had an overnight stay in the hospital for the same kind of surgery, but didn't get the rehab advice, bras, or even directions for how to cope with the medical equipment.

The time in the hospital isn't the problem. The ability of the surgical team to visualize what patients need to cope is the problem. Staying in the hospital isn't good for your health (ever heard of MRSA?), but neither is being sent home without preparation. Cancer patients need to insist that hospitals big and small take care of patient needs. That can be done without an overnight stay, but probably not without some vocal patients getting organized.
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Late but the Jacki program
    its also uner my handle
    ALittleEasierRecoveryDOTcom
    They give free breast cancer "shirt" "robe' as well as another style. Check them out they are in MA but ship to lots of hospitals, Maybe yours already has them
    Peace
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    4hours afterwards???
    That is terrible.I did stay overnight having a lunpectomy and 16 lymph nods removed.but really my surgein told me very little.so i was on my own and then I found this web sight.their is so much i wouldn,t know about B.C. with out the wonderful people here.It would be nice if she at least had access to a computer.we could help with her questions.its so sad for her.I will pray for her.Love and prayers.(Pat).