mastectomy bra

lhb200
lhb200 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Will be having a single mastectomy after meeting with my surgeon on Monday. Some of you talk about a special bra after surgery and shirts that button down the front. What is the reason for this?? Will I not be able to put on my own clothes?? That is scary!!!!!

Where do I get these items if I need them??
Thanks and blessings to all of you!!
Linda

Comments

• dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Linda, I never got anything special...
    after my mastectomy, except for a couple of soft cotton tees. The soft fabric felt really good against my incisions, though it didn't offer much in the way of support, and it was enough to make me feel comfortable that I was wearing something.

As for being able to lift your arms--you will be sore, but lifting your arms will be something that you will need to force yourself to do so you can regain full range of movement. It will be a test of pure will, but it will pay off later.

I also wore loose-fitting shirts that didn't rub against me. As for a bra, I couldn't find one that was not too heavy or large for me, so I do without. I have used a soft sleeper sock for years to fill a sports bra. It works fine and, unless someone is really looking, it is not too noticeable.

It takes some getting use to, but after awhile (believe it or not) you will forget about the loss of your breasts and, when that time comes, you may even forget to wear something to hide it. I know this happens, because I do it all the time! One time, I even forgot to wear a bra to work and only had on a soft tee---now that was an embarrassing moment LOL!.

dmc
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Hi Linda
    I had a single, simple mastectomy in Sept. and I had read about the "mastecomy bra" to wear right after surgery. I purhased one for $60 (my ins. reimbursed me) but I got it from a professional fitter at an authorized store that sells all things for mastectomies. It comes with little "puff" phony boobs which for me were useless because I am large breasted so my own breast had little supoort and the little "puff" just sat there several inches higher. It also has little detachable pouches to hold the drain (I used that pinned to my nightgown and it took the pressure off the drain tube) and it comes t the waist and is very hot and uncomfortable. I thought it was a complete waste of insurance money and wore it only once, the pouches were the only good thing about it.

I wore loose fitting clothing and my "flat side" was hardly noticable. I didn't do a lot of going out during the healing process and I got a prothesis as soon as the six weeks were up. I love my phoney boob and you can not tell which is which even by feeling. I chose no resconstruction (I did not want any more surgery than I had to have). I am totally comfortable witht the prosthesis and don't even know I have it on. Again, it was $300 and my ins. co paid for it and wil pay for a new one annually. They are really nice. But you need to go to a store where the fitter is certified so the insurance will pay. Besides, you really need their expertise. I also got my wig at the same shop, again, my insurance co. paid $300 for it, I paid the additional $135.

If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would never have bothered with that special after mastecomy bra for $60. But that's my opinion, I'm sure you will hear from others on this board that will tell you they loved theirs.

Oh I did have nitegowns that buttoned down the front so my drain tube could come out and fit in the pouch that was pinned to my nitegown. You also will not be real comfortable putting your arm up over your head to put clothes on at first so buttons are a must. But that only last a couple of weeks or so and then you can put on anything you want.

I did not have a great deal of pain after my surgery, which surprised and pleased me but the drain (was in for 10 days) was a real pain in the butt and I was happy to get that out.

Go to website www.tlcdirect.org where they sell mastecomy bras, wigs, headcovers and you can view the mastecomy "camisoles".

I know your scared and this is all so confusing, but take it one day at a time and don't try to overthink all of this, cause it just can't be done. You've joined the "club" that no one wants to be in, but know that you're not alone and these discussion boards are so helpful and full of love and support. When is your surgery? Everyone will be thinkingof you and praying for you're speedy recovery.

I didn't mean to go on and on but I'm hope my experience has been a little helpful.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • cantthink
    cantthink Member Posts: 36
    Skeezie said:

Hi Linda
    I had a single, simple mastectomy in Sept. and I had read about the "mastecomy bra" to wear right after surgery. I purhased one for $60 (my ins. reimbursed me) but I got it from a professional fitter at an authorized store that sells all things for mastectomies. It comes with little "puff" phony boobs which for me were useless because I am large breasted so my own breast had little supoort and the little "puff" just sat there several inches higher. It also has little detachable pouches to hold the drain (I used that pinned to my nightgown and it took the pressure off the drain tube) and it comes t the waist and is very hot and uncomfortable. I thought it was a complete waste of insurance money and wore it only once, the pouches were the only good thing about it.

I wore loose fitting clothing and my "flat side" was hardly noticable. I didn't do a lot of going out during the healing process and I got a prothesis as soon as the six weeks were up. I love my phoney boob and you can not tell which is which even by feeling. I chose no resconstruction (I did not want any more surgery than I had to have). I am totally comfortable witht the prosthesis and don't even know I have it on. Again, it was $300 and my ins. co paid for it and wil pay for a new one annually. They are really nice. But you need to go to a store where the fitter is certified so the insurance will pay. Besides, you really need their expertise. I also got my wig at the same shop, again, my insurance co. paid $300 for it, I paid the additional $135.

If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would never have bothered with that special after mastecomy bra for $60. But that's my opinion, I'm sure you will hear from others on this board that will tell you they loved theirs.

Oh I did have nitegowns that buttoned down the front so my drain tube could come out and fit in the pouch that was pinned to my nitegown. You also will not be real comfortable putting your arm up over your head to put clothes on at first so buttons are a must. But that only last a couple of weeks or so and then you can put on anything you want.

I did not have a great deal of pain after my surgery, which surprised and pleased me but the drain (was in for 10 days) was a real pain in the butt and I was happy to get that out.

Go to website www.tlcdirect.org where they sell mastecomy bras, wigs, headcovers and you can view the mastecomy "camisoles".

I know your scared and this is all so confusing, but take it one day at a time and don't try to overthink all of this, cause it just can't be done. You've joined the "club" that no one wants to be in, but know that you're not alone and these discussion boards are so helpful and full of love and support. When is your surgery? Everyone will be thinkingof you and praying for you're speedy recovery.

I didn't mean to go on and on but I'm hope my experience has been a little helpful.

Hugs, Judy :-)

Thank you
    Thank you for all this great information, this is in my future if all goes well! and
    I'm so glad to have some idea ahead of time just what will happen.
    Happy New year!
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    camisole".
    they gave me a camisole when i went home i still us the camiscole under stuff if its a little low.I have a prothesis you cant tell it from my real boob.my insurance will pay for 2 mastecomy bras for me a year, and every 3 year i coould get a new prothesis.mine is still just like new i have had i goin on 3 years. when i came home i had a gowns that zipped up so i steped into it. i had to take my fingers and walk them up the wall that was the challange. good luck hugs to u