A little ACS fan letter

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just wanted to share that I received a call today, out of the blue, from a staff member at my local ACS chapter, just wanting to ask how I'm doing. The woman who called is a 20-year breast cancer survivor, and was such a warm, encouraging person to talk to -- we had the most enjoyable conversation.

I've never directly contacted my ACS chapter for anything -- I've called the national 800 number several times to request materials, and I remember they politely asked me the first time I called if I would be okay with giving them my phone number.

I know I've talked up the ACS materials many times on this board -- I honestly can't believe the sheer amount of really helpful information they've sent me, and that it's all been totally free of charge.

But then to get a phone call from a fellow breast cancer survivor, who didn't want anything from me other than to ask how I'm doing -- I'm getting teary as I write this, because my own friends have grown tired of how long my treatment is dragging on, and I rarely hear from anyone wanting to know how I am.

So I just wanted to share what a little gift Janice at the Burbank ACS chapter gave me today -- I wish it hadn't taken my getting cancer for me to find out what an amazing organization the ACS is, and I'm so grateful for all the support they've given me.

Traci

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Great Story
    Traci isn't it great when a stranger goes out of their way for you. Thanks for sharing this.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Traci, thanks for sharing.
    Traci, thanks for sharing. I agree the ACS is a GREAT organization and very helpful to all of us fighting the disease. By the way, how are your rads coming? I finished up Christmas Eve. Have a healthy and happy 2010!!!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Traci...
    For sharing your very touching experience. I think most folks cannot possibly appreciate what a wonderful organization the ACS really is until they need to...

And, after all - the ACS provides for us this wonderful forum. :-)

Happy and Healthy New Year to you, and for always. With sincere hopes that 2010 is a much better year for you, in many ways!

Kind regards,
    Susan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    How wonderful, Traci! It is
    How wonderful, Traci! It is so nice and yes, important to have a connection, isn't it? What a grand end of the year, and a smile to start the new one! It gives us all incentive to "pay it forward", doesn't it? It reminded me of the recent post about how long people stay on the boards after finishing treatment and why they stay. Well, if the woman is a 20 year survivor, she could have left it all behind her YEARS ago! But there she is, calling you and no doubt others, for no other reason than to ask how you are! And just look how it affected you! I guess I won't be leaving these boards anytime soon, after all!LOL I thought being a 7 year survivor ( almost) I could wean myself from this place, but eidently I have 13 years to go!

Happy New Year!!!
    Chgen♥
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

How wonderful, Traci! It is
    How wonderful, Traci! It is so nice and yes, important to have a connection, isn't it? What a grand end of the year, and a smile to start the new one! It gives us all incentive to "pay it forward", doesn't it? It reminded me of the recent post about how long people stay on the boards after finishing treatment and why they stay. Well, if the woman is a 20 year survivor, she could have left it all behind her YEARS ago! But there she is, calling you and no doubt others, for no other reason than to ask how you are! And just look how it affected you! I guess I won't be leaving these boards anytime soon, after all!LOL I thought being a 7 year survivor ( almost) I could wean myself from this place, but eidently I have 13 years to go!

Happy New Year!!!
    Chgen♥

Kindred Spirit...
    Yep, you gotta stay. Our journeys began at almost the same time, though I discovered this wonderful group just earlier this now-almost-done year.

You gotta stay, Kindred Spirit. Wouldn't be the same without you. :-)

I know you will... Because you will always desire to "pay it forward" - as I will. And as others here do, too.

Happy and HEALTHY New Year to you, and all your loved ones!

Kindest regards,
    12/25
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options

Kindred Spirit...
    Yep, you gotta stay. Our journeys began at almost the same time, though I discovered this wonderful group just earlier this now-almost-done year.

You gotta stay, Kindred Spirit. Wouldn't be the same without you. :-)

I know you will... Because you will always desire to "pay it forward" - as I will. And as others here do, too.

Happy and HEALTHY New Year to you, and all your loved ones!

Kindest regards,
    12/25

Traci-thank you for sharing...
    there are many good people out there but, we don't always find them until we need them.

It truly does take a selfless person to give their time to others, maybe that's why we come here--to find many selfless people who could have chosen to live this board, but have decided to stay because they know they have something special to offer----understanding.

Stories, like yours Traci, rejunvenate my faith in the human race.
    dmc
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    I too love the ACS
    Just this past week they gave me a prothesis and two masectomy bras for free. I also got my wig there for free.

They have been very helpful to me.

Love and light,
    Vicki