Options
2»

Comments

• Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    scout5000 said:

Port removal
    I finished chemo at the end of July. I could never have blood draws through port (had to use a lab) and they wouldn't use it for anesthesia for colonoscopy... It was only used for chemo. I had mine removed, in combination with mastoplexy two weeks ago. My surgeon does port removal under general anesthesia. He said he usually waits at least a year after chemo but did mine early because I had stage II.

Scout...
    Are you saying he removed your port because you had stage II, meaning he would have left the port had you had stage III or IV?
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Jacque101 said:

Scout...
    Are you saying he removed your port because you had stage II, meaning he would have left the port had you had stage III or IV?

Well, I see you got your
    Well, I see you got your picture on. You are very pretty, but you aren't wearing pearls. I thought they were a requirement. LOL
    Stef
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    scout5000 said:

Port removal
    I finished chemo at the end of July. I could never have blood draws through port (had to use a lab) and they wouldn't use it for anesthesia for colonoscopy... It was only used for chemo. I had mine removed, in combination with mastoplexy two weeks ago. My surgeon does port removal under general anesthesia. He said he usually waits at least a year after chemo but did mine early because I had stage II.

My port has been used for all of my
    bloodraws and for anesthesia for a colonoscopy as well. I live in Michigan and only an RN can access a port so I have my blood test done when they flush the port, even for my internest. There was a question of using dye for a Cat Scan when I was in the hospital and they weren't sure if the port would handle it so they didn't use the dye. I have an appt. with my surgeon in a couple of weeks and I am going to ask him about dyes for tests and how long I can keep this particular port. The thought of not having it makes me ill because I have no veins, except one in my right arm which I'm not suppose to use.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Jacque101 said:

Hummm...interesting info
    Hello, I'm new here and new with BC. Getting a port on Jan 7. I guess it's always a surgery to get the port...but what about removing it? Another day-surgery? What about swimming and showing..any prob w/ that?

port
    The port goes in with a day surgery and comes out the same way it went in. They will prob give you a little medication ad you won't remember a thing. They place my port when I had my mast. Saved me a second surgery. My port was a pill to put in, so I wil keep mine for a bit. I love mine. No fuss no muss. No probs w swimming, bathing. The only thing I have is bumping it. That kind of hurts.
  • scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Jacque101 said:

Scout...

Yes
    Sorry, I was out of town for a week! Yes, the surgeon said that he keeps the port in for a minimum of 6 months, but usually a year after finishing chemo and my oncologist said the same. However, my surgeon said that since I only had a few microscopic cancer cells in one lymph node, he would remove my port early, oncologist agreed.
  • Victoria63
    Victoria63 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Skeezie said:

My port has been used for all of my
    bloodraws and for anesthesia for a colonoscopy as well. I live in Michigan and only an RN can access a port so I have my blood test done when they flush the port, even for my internest. There was a question of using dye for a Cat Scan when I was in the hospital and they weren't sure if the port would handle it so they didn't use the dye. I have an appt. with my surgeon in a couple of weeks and I am going to ask him about dyes for tests and how long I can keep this particular port. The thought of not having it makes me ill because I have no veins, except one in my right arm which I'm not suppose to use.

First Port Scheduled for next Friday
    Thanks to everyone for all your great information about your ports. I am not new to hospitals and ports and treatments as my oldest daughter (26) has had about 15 permacaths for her dialysis access. I know it is quite different but after watching all she has been through for the past 18 years I am not a bit scared (or at least don't feel I have a right to be). Anyway I was just diagnosed with IDC lst month and have had my lumpectomy and will get my port nxt week and then start Chemo the following week. Not sure what the treatment plan is yet as I meet with my onc doc Tue to finalize all that.
    All your posts on ports have been very informative to me so I just wanted to thank you all for inlightening me although I have nothing much to offer as advise at this point in time.
    God Bless you all and thanks again for sharing.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping my port for a bit longer
    I finished with chemo last week and will be on Herceptin through September. I have a port and plan to use it for that purpose. Has your oncologist and/or nurse talked to you about it? If not, it might help to get their feedback. They would probably recommend keeping it until you're done with Herceptin. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.
    BL
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Jacque101 said:

Hummm...interesting info
    Hello, I'm new here and new with BC. Getting a port on Jan 7. I guess it's always a surgery to get the port...but what about removing it? Another day-surgery? What about swimming and showing..any prob w/ that?

swimming and showering
    because the port is under your skin these activities are no problem. Just be sure not to get your feet wet.
    Bill S ---------------- guy with a port !