Daily vitamins after radiation

Options
MyTurnNow
MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have just recently finished radiation and wondered when it is "safe" to start taking daily vitamins, D3 and calcium, again? I have an appointment with my onco in a couple of weeks and I know I could call but there are so many of you that are finished with radiation, I was hoping you could answer. Thanks.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Ca and D3
    you can take even during radiation. You do not need to wait for Ca and D.
    Other vitamins like C, A, E you have to wait 2 weeks after radiation.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Vitamins.......
    I took calcium 1800 mg and D3 the entire time I had chemo and radiation......I was told to, as both are so hard on your body...but I was told NOT TO TAKE Vitamins during chemo.....But check with your oncologist first......

Best wishes
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    Congratulations MyTurnNow on finishing rads! I was told that I could start taking my vitamins again after I was finished getting zapped. I waited about a week after finishing and started taking them. They just mainly don't want you taking them during your rads treatment as they don't want your cells to be healthy. You should still ask your oncologist for sure, or, just give your rads oncologist a quick call. Congrats again!

Sue :)
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    MAJW said:

Vitamins.......
    I took calcium 1800 mg and D3 the entire time I had chemo and radiation......I was told to, as both are so hard on your body...but I was told NOT TO TAKE Vitamins during chemo.....But check with your oncologist first......

Best wishes

I just finished radiation
    I just finished radiation and my radiation oncologist said no vitamins at all during my treatments. He said I could start taking my vitamins now since I am finished. I am still using my creams, are you? You probably should really call your radiation oncologist and verify for sure. As you can see, they vary in their opinions.

Megan
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Vitamins.......

Best wishes

I am taking magnesium and
    I am taking magnesium and Calcitrol, I think Calcitrol is vitimin D3. I think part of my problems between the Celiac and the radiation it depleted my minerals.
  • MyTurnNow
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Congrats!
    Congratulations MyTurnNow on finishing rads! I was told that I could start taking my vitamins again after I was finished getting zapped. I waited about a week after finishing and started taking them. They just mainly don't want you taking them during your rads treatment as they don't want your cells to be healthy. You should still ask your oncologist for sure, or, just give your rads oncologist a quick call. Congrats again!

Thanks, Sue. It's great to
    Thanks, Sue. It's great to be finished. I never thought I'd see this day, but once you get going, it's actually here before you know it.
  • MyTurnNow
    Options
    Megan M said:

I just finished radiation
    I just finished radiation and my radiation oncologist said no vitamins at all during my treatments. He said I could start taking my vitamins now since I am finished. I am still using my creams, are you? You probably should really call your radiation oncologist and verify for sure. As you can see, they vary in their opinions.

Megan

Megan, yes, I am still using
    Megan, yes, I am still using the aloe. Aloe is the only thing that I used throughout my radiation treatments. I have quite the tan going on on one boob. I had 9 boosters and can already see where the skin (tan) has faded from the regular radiation treatments. I'll be all back to normal in no time.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Thanks, Sue. It's great to
    Thanks, Sue. It's great to be finished. I never thought I'd see this day, but once you get going, it's actually here before you know it.

You're welcome!
    It was good to be finished, but then I started feeling lost. I was so used to the routine of going everyday and seeing everyone that I missed it. Weird, huh? I still stop in just because I love all of the techs and my rads oncologist. We took them cookies for Christmas. They were having a huge party there. You probably know this, but, continue using your creams for a few weeks as you are still "cooking". And, still be careful with your skin. Happy New Year to you!

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    lanie940 said:

I am taking magnesium and
    I am taking magnesium and Calcitrol, I think Calcitrol is vitimin D3. I think part of my problems between the Celiac and the radiation it depleted my minerals.

WOW THanks for reminding me...
    I totally forgot that you shouldn't take vitamins during chemo and took some this week.
    OOPS. Good thing they were low dose. I have so many people sending me vitamin based ideas, books, and even powders to add to your food. They mean well, but I'm saving them for April.

What about Fish Oil? and Flaxseed oil?
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Mama G said:

WOW THanks for reminding me...
    I totally forgot that you shouldn't take vitamins during chemo and took some this week.
    OOPS. Good thing they were low dose. I have so many people sending me vitamin based ideas, books, and even powders to add to your food. They mean well, but I'm saving them for April.

What about Fish Oil? and Flaxseed oil?

My rads oncologist said
    no vitamins during rads along with no sex. Ok, that was a joke! LOL

The no vitamins is for real. I started taking them again a couple of weeks after I was

finished with my rad treatments. I was glad to read that you are still using something

on your skin. Congrats on finishing!

Hugs, Diane ♥