bras for drains

Options
sparky72156
sparky72156 Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone know where to find those bras that will accommodate drains post-mastectomy? I've googled medical supply places around here (Olathe, Kansas) but can't find anything. Do I really need a special bra for 5 days to a week? Can't I just wear loose fitting clothing?

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I don't know if you need one sparky. I had a lumpectomy and didn't need anything. But, it seems that most on here post mastectomy do. This site, ACS, has a TLC shop that sells them. What did your plastic surgeon say? Wishing you the best!

♥ Noel

This is the link for the TLC site from the American Cancer Society. Or, you can just go to the HOME page of this site and type in TLC and it will pop up for you.

http://www.tlcdirect.org/Default.aspx?&source=search
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    Bra for drain
    I had a lumpectomy, too, but the drain was for my sentinel nodes that were removed, so I had to wear one of the bras. The hospital provided one, and I made do with a sports bra when I needed to wash the other one by pinning the drain bag, which attached to the special bra with velcro so it could be separated, to my sports bra. Loose-fitting clothing is good, but something has to hold the drain so it won't drag on the incision, and you may actually be more comfortable in a bra that kind of prevents things from moving around much and pulling on tender spots.

Did your doctor tell you you have to buy the bra ahead of time? If so, too bad they're not providing it! It seems like it would be fairly simple for them to provide them. *sigh*

Best of luck! Sandy
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options

Bra for drain
    I had a lumpectomy, too, but the drain was for my sentinel nodes that were removed, so I had to wear one of the bras. The hospital provided one, and I made do with a sports bra when I needed to wash the other one by pinning the drain bag, which attached to the special bra with velcro so it could be separated, to my sports bra. Loose-fitting clothing is good, but something has to hold the drain so it won't drag on the incision, and you may actually be more comfortable in a bra that kind of prevents things from moving around much and pulling on tender spots.

Did your doctor tell you you have to buy the bra ahead of time? If so, too bad they're not providing it! It seems like it would be fairly simple for them to provide them. *sigh*

Best of luck! Sandy

You don't need a special bra
    You don't need a special bra for the drains. You can wear loose-fitting clothes and just pin them to your tops. I also used a lanyard (the mesh thing that goes over your head, normally used with a nametag) and attached the drains to that when I showered. Hope your surgery and recovery go well.

Joyce
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    Sparky
    I found a camisole on the ACS site that held the drains. It was kind of exspensive but was so handy. I plan on donating it to the ACS at a later time for someone else to use.I don't wear a bra, I wear camisoles. They are more comfortable for me since I've had my mastectomy on Nov. 23rd. Hugs to you, Diane
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    chickad52 said:

Sparky
    I found a camisole on the ACS site that held the drains. It was kind of exspensive but was so handy. I plan on donating it to the ACS at a later time for someone else to use.I don't wear a bra, I wear camisoles. They are more comfortable for me since I've had my mastectomy on Nov. 23rd. Hugs to you, Diane

Hey Sparky
    Sometimes the hospital will send you home with something to use. That tlc store at ACS has something you can order to use. Good luck!

Lex♥
  • jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    Options
    bras
    when I had my double mastecomy, I was sent home from the hospital in a bra....it was kinda like a camosile (??) - they put it on me right after surgery. I still wear it as it provides some comfort (as sick as that sounds)..

J
  • kimber10
    kimber10 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    jikaras said:

bras
    when I had my double mastecomy, I was sent home from the hospital in a bra....it was kinda like a camosile (??) - they put it on me right after surgery. I still wear it as it provides some comfort (as sick as that sounds)..

J

I didn't have a bra post
    I didn't have a bra post mastectomy i wore loose clothes and safety pinned my drains to my shirt
  • sparky72156
    sparky72156 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    kimber10 said:

I didn't have a bra post
    I didn't have a bra post mastectomy i wore loose clothes and safety pinned my drains to my shirt

Thank you all so much. I
    Thank you all so much. I did order a camisole from TLC and it looks like it should be pretty comfortable. The way I figure it........this is a time that I need to pamper myself and make things as easy as I can.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options

Thank you all so much. I
    Thank you all so much. I did order a camisole from TLC and it looks like it should be pretty comfortable. The way I figure it........this is a time that I need to pamper myself and make things as easy as I can.

That was definitely a good
    That was definitely a good idea, I did not know that i had to get something for the drains. It was a pain tying them and pining them. Plus it hurt, they need to be very close to your body.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Thank you all so much. I

Glad you ordered the
    Glad you ordered the camisole from TLC. I think you will be very happy that you did.

♥ Noel